Join Early Retirement Today
Old 05-08-2013, 06:26 AM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado
I have used several companies for bike and barge trips but my favorite one is They are very easy to work with and are U.S. based so easy to reach. Bike and barge boats are typically not as luxurious as Viking but there are different categories of boats. As long as you stick with comfort plus category you should be fine as they have individual climate control in the rooms, etc. Overall think Holiday Inn vs Ritz Carlton. I went on an 8 day Danube trip with additional 3 day stopover in Prague and the cost was around $3500 per person including everything. Without Prague you could fairly easily get it down to around $2500. The cycling is on paved bike paths with no cars and is a fantastic way to see some of the little villages that would otherwise get overlooked. You can vary the distances or take a day off if you don't want to bike every day. I am like you in that I would rather go on more trips than fancier trips. The people on the boat trip I went on last time included several teachers from Germany and Denmark and overall I would say the people are younger and more active on the bike and barge trips vs older and wealthier on Viking. We had so much fun last time that we are tentatively planning on going again in September on this trip: Along the Danube - Four Country Tour

Jackson D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Has anyone taken a river cruise at Christmastime? The Christmas markets in central Europe are reported to be very enjoyable. Would the cold weather make it miserable?

Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote