Join Early Retirement Today

Advice for planning a road trip
Old 01-01-2018, 10:36 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Advice for planning a road trip

One my my 2018 goals is to finally take a long road trip across the USA and perhaps venturing into Canada. I am thanking about 4-6 weeks, most likely in the late Summer after school opens and things are less crowded.

One thing I have learned in life is that "You don't know, what you don't know". And, I expect there are things I wouldn't know about planning a road trip until after the trip is over.

So, I am asking for advice on planning the trip. Not where to go exactly or what to do (A good part of that will be left for the trip itself), but how to plan it.

Any suggestions?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2018, 10:51 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

My advice about planning for a long road trip is do little planning. Figure out basically where you want to go, and then read about the places on Wikipedia. Every trip is better taken slowly vs. running flat out from place to place.

Take a laptop or tablet that allows you to make room reservations as you go along the way. If you find a place you find interesting, stay longer. If you find a place not to your liking, hit the road.

And remember you can not take in every travel sight in every town you visit. You have to prioritize sights seen.

I often pickup hotel discount coupon books at rest areas and save substantial $. And I also go to GasBuddy.com looking at fuel prices ahead--to save $.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:53 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I went on several road trips in 2017.

Plan a route, and follow it. Make motel reservations along the way ahead of time. Most motels you can cancel the day before, or even the day of by 6 PM, and still get 100% of your money back. Get gas coupons and discounts. Use Google Maps or similar.

You can look at various itineraries that other people have done. There is a lot to see, have a reason to stop wherever you are and do something there. Traveling 900 miles a day is possible, but that's all you will be doing. Stick to 300-400 miles a day, with some days staying stationary.

Plan your mail, bill payments, credit card vacations, newspapers, etc. You will need to do laundry along the way, bring a laundry bag and soap to bring to a laundromat (or a relatives house).
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:58 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

From my multitude of epic road trips back when I was able to take them:

Let your insurance know you're traveling, and update the planned yearly mileage if it's going to change.

Let your bank, credit cards, wherever you get money from for spending know where you're going. It really sucks to be stuck somewhere at 11 PM trying to get gas out of state and having your card declined.

I've never personally been in this situation, but anyone I've known who likes going on longer road trips tends to carry some amount of cash on them, the concern being that somewhere out in the boonies someone might not take credit.

I never bothered to get the car serviced or tires changed unless it was really close to time to need serviced before a trip. An oil change might be worth it, if you're going far enough.

If you happen to travel with a concealed carry permit, know the different laws in each state. Not identifying yourself as carrying in one state may be fine, may be a criminal offense in another.

I don't recall offhand what my average daily miles were in the car, but on the motorcycle it was almost always under 300. Especially enjoying the back roads. A car isn't as demanding, but it's still worthwhile to keep the daily mileage short enough to still get somewhere, but want to explore when you finally arrive.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:12 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

My advice would to cut down on the ground you want to cover and perhaps do 2 long trips instead of one. IMO overscheduling is the number one mistake people make on road trips. Many of the popular place are going to have pretty high hotels costs, but if you stay a week and use VRBO or something similar you will be more comfortable and save much money per night. You will have a washer and dryer so you aren't looking for laundromats or fighting for the hotel washing machines. You won't have to eat hotel breakfasts, fast food lunches and dinner out every night.

If you are interested we have lots of road trippers including myself who can you in a couple of different directions for a couple of trips instead of one. Personally I'd work on my itinerary first.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:43 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

We haven't done a road trip for 10 years or so.......but we never had an itinerary, just a (very) vague idea of where we wanted to go.

Last one we envisioned a clockwise loop...I took the wrong exit and said "**** it, I'm not retracing", so we went counterclockwise. Serendipity is your friend.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:55 PM   #7

We have an RV and have made 3 cross country trips so far. We did find out 2 months is our max for traveling.

We never made any plans just a general direction of where we wanted to go. When we got to where we wanted to go we would just google the top 100 free things to do in the area. We did some free things and some paid things. Just remember to have fun along the way and don't get caught up in we have to be here one day and there the next day.

We find traveling in September to be the most relaxing. Everyone is back at school etc. Sometimes by April it is too hot to be in Florida and further South.

Take some time and make some plans. Have a blast on your road trip. Look forward to hearing about your adventures.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:14 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I use google maps to create the route. I usually have a route in mind based on the attractions that I want to visit along the way. Based on driving hours, I make advance hotel reservations. I usually have a few attractions to visit daily, so I figure out how many driving hours are left after the attractions. After I figure out what city would match the ending miles of each day, I use TripAdvisor to choose the hotel.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:15 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Avoid interstates. They are sterile deserts and the development around them is all the same. I find it kind of depressing to drive 400 miles & see the same things you saw when you left. When you travel on the secondary highways you'll come to appreciate the real beauty of the country, and the small towns. Seek out the oddball attractions; they're everywhere, and coming on one by chance can make your day.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:33 PM   #10

Maybe just me, but I think one's options are greater in the eastern US.

When my wife and I wanted to go north, we looked for the most off-beaten path, and took that. For me, there's nothing I enjoy more than driving country roads I've never been on.

One trip we took that we enjoyed--driving from Maine to Miami, hugging the coast the whole way.
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:33 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I went on several road trips in 2017.

Plan a route, and follow it. Make motel reservations along the way ahead of time. Most motels you can cancel the day before, or even the day of by 6 PM, and still get 100% of your money back. Get gas coupons and discounts. Use Google Maps or similar.

You can look at various itineraries that other people have done. There is a lot to see, have a reason to stop wherever you are and do something there. Traveling 900 miles a day is possible, but that's all you will be doing. Stick to 300-400 miles a day, with some days staying stationary.

Plan your mail, bill payments, credit card vacations, newspapers, etc. You will need to do laundry along the way, bring a laundry bag and soap to bring to a laundromat (or a relatives house).
Where do you find gas coupons or discounts??

Also, planning a road trip this winter. Thinking of staying in a chain (perhaps Best Western?) so the points would add up for free hotel rooms. Yay or nay?

What is the best way to secure my IPad? I only have a tracPhone so may have to check into getting a cell phone to utilize a hotspot for the IPad?? Not really sure how to do this.
frugal-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:41 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

As stated, Google maps driving distance estimates are your friend. I do my planning on Google maps and in most cases will limit driving to about 4 hours/300 miles range.

Motels? Ugh! AirBnB is a a lot more fun and each place you stay you will have a local resource for sightseeing & restaurant recommendations. For us, it's not about saving money. We sort the places highest prices first, skipping over the huge homes and specialty offerings, looking for an offering that is obviously not a business for something like a mother-in-law apartment with a private bath or use the AirBnB "Entire Home" filter to browse.

Another advantage with AirBnB is that you can select places with kitchens so you can carry breakfast stuff (and maybe an evening drink or two) in a cooler. This saves a few bucks but mostly to us it is a lot more relaxing than having to go out. If you like you can even cook meals but we never have.

Look at the Great River Road and the western end of the Trans-Canada Highway as possible segments for your trip. BBQ in Memphis is not to be missed. New Orleans and Cajun country to the west is not to be missed. Another great drive is through the Canadian maritime provinces, especially if you are a seafood fan.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:46 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
My advice would to cut down on the ground you want to cover and perhaps do 2 long trips instead of one. IMO overscheduling is the number one mistake people make on road trips.
Agree.... once you've left your starting (familiar) area, don't schedule any 8hr travel days unless you are sure there is nothing you particularly want to see on that leg of the trip. My wife and I took an extended, well planned trip a few years back and while it was fabulous and we saw everything on our agenda, you will also find that leaving plenty of 'open' time on your route will pay dividends. Once you start talking to locals or hitting the web at night for local points of interest, or just passing fun stuff on the road, you'll wish you had even more time that what you scheduled for.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:01 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post

Also, planning a road trip this winter. Thinking of staying in a chain (perhaps Best Western?) so the points would add up for free hotel rooms. Yay or nay?

What is the best way to secure my IPad? I only have a tracPhone so may have to check into getting a cell phone to utilize a hotspot for the IPad?? Not really sure how to do this.
The MyPilot app gives you I think .03 off regular gas. GoodSam gives .08 off Diesel. Holiday Gas has cub foods discounts. Shell has a rewards card, or you can use your HyVee card.

The Gasbuddy app is pretty good at finding discounts too.

McDonalds has an app that has plenty of BOGo offers and discounts.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 03:11 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
PenFed Credit Union's Platinum Cash Rewards Visa credit card gives a 5% cash discount on all pay-at-the-pump purchases. Anyone can join PenFed CU - select "other" under qualifying organizations on the membership application.

https://netmember.penfed.org/NetMemb...spx?MEMBERSHIP
Old 01-01-2018, 03:18 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I know this is old-school but get an atlas (a basic Rand McNally will do). GPS is not flawless and may take you where you do not really want to go. Also, you may not have good internet reception in certain remote locales. This is similar to the previous post about having available cash in the event that a credit card is not an option.
pjm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 04:55 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I also always keep a Ran McNally Road Atlas in the car for a road trip. I usually bring a couple of rolls of quarters for the laundromat. My son and I were heading back to North Florida from North Dakota at the end of a summer (years ago) and stumbled on Car Henge in Nebraska. I love the path less traveled, you never know what you'll find.
Dancer373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 04:58 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

ok. I have used GasBuddy and do get a discount on my credit card for gas. Hy-Vee in my area can be used for local gas stations. Guess YLMV in that instance.

We also take an atlas on road trips. Sometimes, it is so much better to see the whole picture vs snippets!
frugal-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 05:03 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

If you have several key states where you plan to linger I recommend the Delorme..state atlas..they are a great resource...Amazon has a lot of states ...we have a Utah one we have been using for 20 years.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:09 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I plan on getting maps from AAA for the regions as well as some cities. Other than certain places I defiantly want to see, I will try to be open to whatever comes along.

Is Airbnb good for last minute rentals? I'm cruising through Lake Puddlemuk and at 2:00 PM decide I would like to stay there for two nights. I've only used Airbnb for multi-night rentals ahead of time.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
road trip planning