Advice from experienced retirees welcome

LXEX55

Recycles dryer sheets
I will be retiring March 29th at age 63.5. I have done as much of my homework as possible regarding healthcare, investing, relocating, etc. etc. I would welcome any general advice from experienced retirees. One example would be "never invest in anything you don't understand" or "treat anyone trying to sell you a financial product or have you invest in something as if he was a harderned criminal just out of prison". Any personal rules of thumb you found valuable in your life would be welcome. Thanks for sharing.
t

OK, I'll bite. I love this kind of stuff. Below are quotations and rules copied from the slides for a six-hour investment class that I teach:

H. L. Mencken: “For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat and wrong.”

Warren Buffet: “The stock market is a device for transferring money from the impatient to the patient.”

William Bernstein on investing for retirement: "“Make no mistake about it: The object of this particular game is not to get rich – It’s to not get poor.”

E. J. Smith, Captain, RMS Titanic, prior to his voyage: “But in all my experience, I have never been in any accident … of any sort worth speaking about. I have seen but one vessel in distress in all my years at sea. I never saw a wreck and never have been wrecked nor was I ever in any predicament that threatened to end in disaster of any sort.”

Rule of Thumb: The more complicated an investment product is, the more likely it is that it was designed to make money for the seller, not to make money for you.

Ezra Solomon, professor of economics at Stanford University and a member of the Council of Economic Advisors during the Nixon administration: “The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable.”

William Bernstein: “Do you think that by choosing a portfolio of only a few stocks that you hope will score big, you are maximizing your chances of becoming wealthy? Indeed you are, but you are also maximizing the chances of a retirement of cat food cuisine”

Morningstar Research: “The expense ratio is the most proven predictor of future fund returns.”

The Investment Industry’s 2-Part Myth:
1: There are people with investment skills that enable them to consistently beat the stock market’s average performance.

2. It is possible to identify such people in advance and it is possible for investors to hire them.
Why does the industry perpetuate the myth in the face of 50 years of statistical data and academic research that disproves it? Upton Sinclair explains: “It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it”

These are some quotes I poached from members here, not sure who the original was from:

"You are no longer in a savings mode, you are now in a slow spend down mode"(my favorite reminder)

"Wanting more is easy, recognizing when you have enough is hard"

The one I like is "When you don't know what you are doing, get professional help."

OP: Your 2 quoted truisms are fine in and of themselves. For me, simple Index Fund "investing" is all I need. And I like to refer to a "sleep at night factor" which is why I remain a conservative investor. Finally, I agree with imoldernu:

;) "When in doubt, don't."

Have fun every day.

Don't worry, be happy.

My personal rules of thumb:
-Find enjoyable, challenging, passionate things to do (better if they're free). Libraries, forest preserves, many museums are free. Mentoring, volunteering long walks, podcasts are free. Giving of your time and talents are rewarding and free.
-Stay active. Move. Keep those joints fluid. Can be free, depends.
-Trust your instincts. I try to avoid quick decisions. My mailbox is full of advice on what to do with my $$. This forum gives me plenty of ideas I trust more than my mailbox (and family members for that matter).
-No regrets. Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get. Unless you take a bite and see what's inside. :--))

If it sounds too good to be true...RUN!!!!!

I've made one 'finance' mistake since I retired @ 53 back in June 2015.

It happened in late 2016. I contributed $1,500.00 to my IRA & later found out that you can't do this if you have no 'earned income'
This wasn't a major issue. I think I had one additional page on my tax return, as I owed taxes on the approximate $15.00 those funds made before I removed them.

My only other suggestion would be that if you live in an area where the winters can be brutal, consider relocating, at least for part of the year.
I live in South Central Minnesota and this winter has been god-awful.
Not only did we have more snow than usual, it was also brutally cold. It's finally moderating now, but I'm not looking forward to another winter here.

Add the fact that Kiplingers just rated Minnesota the least friendly retirement state for the 2nd year in a row, & relocation may be in my future.

Enjoy It

Replace your work hours with "things to do and/or enjoy." I replaced my full time job with playing golf, learning to play Game of Go, and other things.

I am moving

I've made one 'finance' mistake since I retired @ 53 back in June 2015.

It happened in late 2016. I contributed $1,500.00 to my IRA & later found out that you can't do this if you have no 'earned income'
This wasn't a major issue. I think I had one additional page on my tax return, as I owed taxes on the approximate $15.00 those funds made before I removed them.

My only other suggestion would be that if you live in an area where the winters can be brutal, consider relocating, at least for part of the year.
I live in South Central Minnesota and this winter has been god-awful.
Not only did we have more snow than usual, it was also brutally cold. It's finally moderating now, but I'm not looking forward to another winter here.

Add the fact that Kiplingers just rated Minnesota the least friendly retirement state for the 2nd year in a row, & relocation may be in my future.

Enjoy It
Thank you for the winter advice. On April 25th, I am relocating to St. Petersburg, FL. No more snow. But thank you.

I will be retiring March 29th at age 63.5. I have done as much of my homework as possible regarding healthcare, investing, relocating, etc. etc. I would welcome any general advice from experienced retirees.
I wouldn't spend a lot of time on investing. I'd diversify on my own or with help & let it go except for 3/6/12 month adjustments. I'd think there'd be less fretting with using MF's & ETF's than individual stocks.

Agree with many on here.

Enjoy not getting up for work. You'll probably still get up at that hour but for totally different reasons.

Relax for awhile. Everyone thinks you have to jump into something. You don't. Especially going into the good weather months (ours sucks right now) get out and have some fun.

Consolidate and simplify your holdings. Set your AA and let it go. Don't fret over it.

Take longer at things than you're used to doing. Our deal is to drink coffee and catch up every day. Have stretched that to a two hour gig.

Keep or get your body into shape. Commit to some activity daily or at least 4-5x per week.

Know in your mind that you are moving from accumulation to spending. Have a good handle on your budget but also enjoy things. I've cut out some of my frivolous spending but still able to spend on those things I love.

Take a nap or read in the middle of the day. Who cares?

One I forgot: Investing is boring. If you're not bored, you're doing it wrong.

Agree with many on here.

Enjoy not getting up for work. You'll probably still get up at that hour but for totally different reasons.

Relax for awhile. Everyone thinks you have to jump into something. You don't. Especially going into the good weather months (ours sucks right now) get out and have some fun.

Consolidate and simplify your holdings. Set your AA and let it go. Don't fret over it.

Take longer at things than you're used to doing. Our deal is to drink coffee and catch up every day. Have stretched that to a two hour gig.

Keep or get your body into shape. Commit to some activity daily or at least 4-5x per week.

Know in your mind that you are moving from accumulation to spending. Have a good handle on your budget but also enjoy things. I've cut out some of my frivolous spending but still able to spend on those things I love.

Take a nap or read in the middle of the day. Who cares?

Great list. One excellent piece of advice I got from this site is to let retirement come to you. If you’re used to having a very busy calendar, it’s tempting to fill it up with stuff when you’re retired. Take time for yourself to figure out what’s important to you and how you want to spend your time.

Back
Top Bottom