Join Early Retirement Today

Advice from the those ahead of me
Old 03-10-2015, 03:41 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Advice from the those ahead of me

I've always enjoyed the company of people who are older. The wisdom and insight they can share is priceless. They have the great perspective of having lived through many trials and tribulations. Perhaps that is why so many of us like this site.

If you recognize my screen name you know about will be FIRE'ing this summer -most likely. I'd love for those already there to share their top 1,2, 3, 4 or whatever, bits of advice for those of us about to enter a new phase of life. There is much wisdom to be had here beyond the calculators and WR!

Thanks.

TW

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2015, 03:50 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

After 8 years of retirement, my advice is to just relax and let it happen. Quit thinking about what you "should" be doing, thinking, feeling.... Pay attention to what makes you happy and what feels right - then follow that.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:03 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Don't do it, keep working, we someone to support SS for us....
Old 03-12-2015, 02:57 PM   #4

My hubby & I retired at 58 & 53. Within 6 months we got bored after doing all our projects & volunteering so we both now consult in our fields p.t. & feel this is the best of both worlds. WE can travel when ever we want but some work keeps our minds sharp (at least I hope that will be the case). This is the happiest I have ever been. It is nice to take a daily walk in the afternoon instead of having to wait to get off work, rarely set an alarm, mostly work from home, meet a friend for lunch, etc. The best of both worlds.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Don't do it, keep working, we someone to support SS for us....
Now that's just plain mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
After 8 years of retirement, my advice is to just relax and let it happen. Quit thinking about what you "should" be doing, thinking, feeling.... Pay attention to what makes you happy and what feels right - then follow that.
What he said.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:54 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My only advice would be don't worry, be happy.

I ended up reviving a hobby that I did but did not have time to do enough when I was working, in my case, playing golf. I joined the local country club and as luck would have it a neighbor who is about 7 years older than me is the treasurer. I joined up with him and some of his friends to play on Tuesdays. One of those guys then recruited me to play with a larger group who go to different area courses on Thursdays. And one of those Thursday guys recruited me and DW to join a couples group who play on Sunday afternoons. None of this was planned, it just happened.

I had some reservations that I might get bored, but it has been rare that I have been bored. My dad used to say that he was so busing in retirement that he never knew how he ever found time to work and I recall at the time that it sounded like "crazy talk" but now I totally understand what he meant.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Perfect advice.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:01 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Life is a roller coaster and ER is no exception. Be prepared for ups and downs in mood, swings of interests, challenges to sense of identity and purpose. Don't expect it to be one thing or for the sun to always shine. Revel in the ups, carry an umbrella for the downs and allow yourself to be a chameleon, changing your colors at will and to fit the circumstances

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-13-2015, 05:05 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

These are great. Exactly what I have needed to hear from you folks - other than the keep working post! I feel I am already riding the roller coaster of emotions. 43 and having kids gives me a bit of anxiety of this. Especially when lucrative opportunities await if I want.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:00 AM   #10

Keep doing things that keep your mind and body active, use it or lose it.

Appreciate and take advantage of the concept that you don't have to be in a rush anymore, savor time.

Re-connect with family and friends if you have grown apart, because you had to make a living.

Help others.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelwanted View Post
I've always enjoyed the company of people who are older. The wisdom and insight they can share is priceless. They have the great perspective of having lived through many trials and tribulations. Perhaps that is why so many of us like this site.

TW
+1 on this. Every Sunday, my Dad holds a Happy Hour with his friends. I am at least 25 years younger than ANY OF THEM and it's usually the highlight of my week. The stories, the advice, the jokes...they are absolutely priceless to me! I guess I was meant to be retired...it was my calling!

I agree with the sentiment of "just be". Don't have any preconceived notions of what it will be like. Granted, I have only been retired for 4 months (FAR from making retired tenure!) I have figured out that just going with the flow is the right speed. I will also agree with the "use it or lose it" advice. You will have lots of free time (even though some days it may not feel like it), so do your body good and get some exercise. It will go great lengths to make your retirement much more enjoyable!