"Affordable" town in warm climate for single old babe

dougdo said:
If you have enough money you can retire in Canada as an immigrant investor. Means sticking enough cash into a business venture that creates a few jobs. I can't remember the numbers -- a million bucks C$ comes to mind but I think there's a lower amount available too for certain sectors/if you create enough jobs. Google the canadian consulate in the US if you're interested.

Some where in the thread title are the words 'WARM CLIMATE'

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Seems a lot of towns in az and nm bordering texas are well regarded. I suppose you get to skip the high property taxes, but still get to enjoy the show across the border.

I'm still waiting for people to send me money so I can break ground on the new ER ranch.

I figure we have about $250M in assets here (net worth poll).

We should be able to buy a nice 100 acre spread someplace. Everybody gets a quarter acre, and we use the rest for the community playground and amphitheatre.

CFB cooks. Entertainment by T-Al. And Martha makes crafty rock lamps for everybody!

Only problem is we'd have to have each other as neighbors. :p

But then again, we could increase the entertainment value through the actual application of cream pies to the face.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Only problem is we'd have to have each other as neighbors. :p

Good point. But we are all INTJ hermits. Still, maybe 1 acre per lot would be safer. :)

Eh...I could light an awful lot of stuff on fire that would smell pretty bad from ten acres away...

The current 'several state' boundary situation seems prudent, at this juncture.

I was thinking dog crap, but thats about the same thing.

One of my buddies owned a 10 acre 'ranchette' outside of town a few years back. Got into a little pissing contest with one of the neighbors about loud live music set to volume 22 every saturday night from 8pm until about 4 the next morning. After he filed his complaints against the neighbor, the dude started waiting until the wind was blowing towards my friends house, then he'd burn old roadkill at the edge of the property.

When my friend complained to the cops about that, the neighbor said he was part native american and what he was doing was observing his religious rights, and part of his religion included burning dead animals as a sacrifice. The cops decided they werent going to wade into this miasma and told him to file a civil suit.

He moved, and when I asked him what he was looking for in a property, he said "Fifty acres, no wind."

kumquat said:
Some where in the thread title are the words 'WARM CLIMATE'

i hear you. but victoria is definitely better climate wise than places like fort collins
which was mentioned previously (i think... if not mea culpa)

Oldbabe said:
Please, not TEXAS. Remember the word "progressive." :D

Yeah but that's why many of us love it. :)

A small hijack, if you will permit me........ In December
I took a road trip to Key West. Stopped off on Marco
Island which I used to view as mostly for the super rich.
The Keys made Marco look cheap (before I got there I
was thinking about moving my southern HQ - not now).
Tiny tiny condos going for $1,000 per SF. Single wide
mobiles (off the water) for $250,000. Never saw the
like.

JG

I like Victoria. Vancouver Island is a popular retirement local for CNs, even Comax.

However, my parents reported they flocked to HNL in the winter.

Late last night I finished reading another paperback detective novel I'd picked up at Costco, The Fallen, by T. Jefferson Parker. The novel took place in San Diego. It was a pretty good yarn and I'll probably hunt down another book by him. When I looked at the back inside cover there was a breif blurb about, and picture of, the author. It said, "He lives in Fallbrook, California." And I though where did I hear of that town before? Then I remembered this thread that I read yesterday afternoon.

By the way, I like where I live, in the outskirts of Sacramento, but it has been unseasonably cold here this year. We've had more than 10 days of below freezing mornings in January. But no rain.

Laurence said:
Drawbacks? You can still push $400k for a regular home there. Schools aren't great because building has been so mish-mosh,

How are the public schools in California rated? - Do they use test scores? Is there a site that provides this info?

genghis said:
How are the public schools in California rated? - Do they use test scores? Is there a site that provides this info?

for CA at least , state wide rating is not very informative. you want to look at the individual
districts.

Elderdude, just got back from Sunnyvale. Frost on roofs every morning last week. Nipped DD's roses.

mh said:
for CA at least , state wide rating is not very informative. you want to look at the individual
districts.

And then compare them to other schools in other districts. And actually look at the scoring.

Our nearby elementary school has great ratings and scores compared to other area schools.

Damn near awful test scores and lousy compared to some other schools in "nicer" areas nearby.

Got an email from a lady I know whose son lives in Las Vegas. It had pictures of six inch thick ice chunks from his swimming pool! What's going on around here?

Within the last year in my area we've had one of the wettest winters ever, followed by one of the hottest summers on record...set a half dozen records for coldest days, week and month...and we're currently well on track to produce the lowest rainfall winter season ever.

Hmm...

El Nino does strange things to weather....

Denver is having some of the worst snow in a long time...

Houston has a lot of rain (but not anywhere near record)...

New York did not have any snow in the last part of the year for the first time in :confused:? years (can't remember what the guy told me, but a long time)...

This is all El Nino and happens like this when the cycle occurs... it has done so before...

About global warming... almost everybody agrees that global warming is happening... what the question is is how much man is contributing to it... the cycles of weather has been happening for millinia (sp??)... and will continue to do so for many more...

However, I would like to have cleaner air to breath and be able to see across the Grand Canyon whenever I get there again...

Texas Proud said:
El Nino does strange things to weather....

Denver is having some of the worst snow in a long time...

Which was the reason for my original question. We still have hardpacked ice on my neighborhood streets, some of it 4 inches thick. We have piled up snow ten feet high from the first snow storm Dec 20. It never melted, which is very very unusual for the Denver area. The sun is out today after snow yesterday but it's still too cold for a melt. Guess it'll be gone by June at least.

Texas Proud said:
This is all El Nino and happens like this when the cycle occurs... it has done so before...

Possibly, except the extremes seem to be more extreme and the season following season of extremes and record setting is a little unusual. El Nino's and La Nina's definitely create absurd weather, but its rarely been this extreme and sustained.

About global warming... almost everybody agrees that global warming is happening... what the question is is how much man is contributing to it... the cycles of weather has been happening for millinia (sp??)... and will continue to do so for many more...

I think the question around whats causing it and our role is a lot less interesting than the question of what we can do to mitigate or avoid the results. Saying "Hey, half of north america will be a freezing wasteland in 100 years, but its not our fault!" doesnt produce a lot of enthusiasm in me.

When you find the right place, let me know.

I'm in the same boat. At this point, my best option is to be a flexible snowbird. I like living in a tax-free state too much to start paying my retirment income into a new state's coffers when it could be used for a nice relaxing South Seas or French Rivieria trip.

Ditto for me. I've got lots of years of regular work ahead of me but I'm already wondering where I'll stop when I'm ready to call the traditional workplace "quits." I'm in the heart of Virginia now, and while this is a great place to raise a child and live, the politics of my state embarrass me to no end. It's the bible belt, pro-military, anti-freedom of thought, limited diversity. It's got a lot of things going for it, but I don't see myself here in the long run. I suspect I'll be "OldBabe" in another ten years or so. If I'm lucky ;)

SingleMomDreamer said:
Ditto for me. I've got lots of years of regular work ahead of me but I'm already wondering where I'll stop when I'm ready to call the traditional workplace "quits." I'm in the heart of Virginia now, and while this is a great place to raise a child and live, the politics of my state embarrass me to no end. It's the bible belt, pro-military, anti-freedom of thought, limited diversity. It's got a lot of things going for it, but I don't see myself here in the long run. I suspect I'll be "OldBabe" in another ten years or so. If I'm lucky ;)

What's wrong with the fairly progressive parts of Northern Virginia or Virginia Beach? It's fairly diverse and to the left of most of Virginia?

Back
Top Bottom