Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: "Affordable" town in warm climate for single old babe
Old 01-28-2007, 12:41 PM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
El Nino does strange things to weather....

Denver is having some of the worst snow in a long time...
Which was the reason for my original question. We still have hardpacked ice on my neighborhood streets, some of it 4 inches thick. We have piled up snow ten feet high from the first snow storm Dec 20. It never melted, which is very very unusual for the Denver area. The sun is out today after snow yesterday but it's still too cold for a melt. Guess it'll be gone by June at least.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2007, 01:43 PM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
This is all El Nino and happens like this when the cycle occurs... it has done so before...
Possibly, except the extremes seem to be more extreme and the season following season of extremes and record setting is a little unusual. El Nino's and La Nina's definitely create absurd weather, but its rarely been this extreme and sustained.

Quote:
About global warming... almost everybody agrees that global warming is happening... what the question is is how much man is contributing to it... the cycles of weather has been happening for millinia (sp??)... and will continue to do so for many more...
I think the question around whats causing it and our role is a lot less interesting than the question of what we can do to mitigate or avoid the results. Saying "Hey, half of north america will be a freezing wasteland in 100 years, but its not our fault!" doesnt produce a lot of enthusiasm in me.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 03:23 PM   #123
Recycles dryer sheets

When you find the right place, let me know.

I'm in the same boat. At this point, my best option is to be a flexible snowbird. I like living in a tax-free state too much to start paying my retirment income into a new state's coffers when it could be used for a nice relaxing South Seas or French Rivieria trip.
A854321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:45 PM   #124
Recycles dryer sheets

Ditto for me. I've got lots of years of regular work ahead of me but I'm already wondering where I'll stop when I'm ready to call the traditional workplace "quits." I'm in the heart of Virginia now, and while this is a great place to raise a child and live, the politics of my state embarrass me to no end. It's the bible belt, pro-military, anti-freedom of thought, limited diversity. It's got a lot of things going for it, but I don't see myself here in the long run. I suspect I'll be "OldBabe" in another ten years or so. If I'm lucky
Old 02-26-2007, 06:36 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleMomDreamer
Ditto for me. I've got lots of years of regular work ahead of me but I'm already wondering where I'll stop when I'm ready to call the traditional workplace "quits." I'm in the heart of Virginia now, and while this is a great place to raise a child and live, the politics of my state embarrass me to no end. It's the bible belt, pro-military, anti-freedom of thought, limited diversity. It's got a lot of things going for it, but I don't see myself here in the long run. I suspect I'll be "OldBabe" in another ten years or so. If I'm lucky
What's wrong with the fairly progressive parts of Northern Virginia or Virginia Beach? It's fairly diverse and to the left of most of Virginia?
Old 02-27-2007, 02:49 AM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Affordabe, progressive and warm, hum that is tough. Then you later add big city amenties like good hospitals.

I can think of plenty of places in CA, or HI that progessive and warm, but affordable... not really. I am not sure Austin is all that affordable anymore, and once you leave Austin city limits and don't it is progessive.

So oldbabe if you were going to pick attribute which two would be the most important?

Or as engineer manager use to say, You want it right, on time, and on budget, pick two.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:54 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Joe,

Looks like Miami Beach to me.

You wanna be on the 99th floor when the next earthquake comes?
Old 02-27-2007, 07:46 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
Joe,

Looks like Miami Beach to me.

You wanna be on the 99th floor when the next earthquake comes?
It is possible that their buildings are earthquake proof . Obviously, there are not too many places not prone to natural disasters. However, the probability is nearly 50% that could happen at any time in Panama. I would think hard before moving.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:22 PM   #129
Dryer sheet wannabe

Go search online there is no earthquakes in panama and for the location is 100% safe from hurricanes

panama doesnt have any earthquakes areas in all the country i check before moving
JOE_PANAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 04:06 AM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Go search online there is no earthquakes in panama and for the location is 100% safe from hurricanes

panama doesnt have any earthquakes areas in all the country i check before moving
Yes, Panama does not have hurricanes.

No, Panama DOES have earthquakes. I used to be a moderator for Viviendo_en_Panama. The locals would be all a-buzz when there were tremors.

You don't happen to sell real estate in Panama City, do you?
Old 02-28-2007, 07:40 AM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
Yes, Panama does not have hurricanes.

No, Panama DOES have earthquakes. I used to be a moderator for Viviendo_en_Panama. The locals would be all a-buzz when there were tremors.

You don't happen to sell real estate in Panama City, do you?
How cynical...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:02 AM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe
Please, not TEXAS. Remember the word "progressive."
Depends on whether you're more interested in progressive state or local politics.

Austin is an island of deep blue in a sea of red. But if you're more concerned with left-leaning state politics than left-leaning local politics, even it wouldn't be right for you no matter how lefty the city itself may be.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:30 AM   #133
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE_PANAMA

100 % hurricane safe?? really??
Hurricane Mitch narrowly missed Panama in 1998, devestated Nicaragua and Honduras and caused 3 deaths in Panama.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:28 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp
Affordabe, progressive and warm, hum that is tough. Then you later add big city amenties like good hospitals.

I can think of plenty of places in CA, or HI that progessive and warm, but affordable... not really. I am not sure Austin is all that affordable anymore, and once you leave Austin city limits and don't it is progessive.

So oldbabe if you were going to pick attribute which two would be the most important?

Or as engineer manager use to say, You want it right, on time, and on budget, pick two.
Sorry I can't just pick two. I guess I'm impossible to please. I really want to live in CA, my home state, but I can't afford to live where I would like. So I'm staying put in CO for the time being, probably forever. At least here I have progressive, big city amenities, sunshine if not warm all the time, and somewhat affordable.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:53 AM   #135
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to RP Send a message via Skype™ to RP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe

That wouldn't work for me at all. I want to be within a quick drive of a major international airport. I want my kids to be close by. I am a patriot (although a cranky one, right now) and would never make my home outside the good ole USA.
This has been a long running, and interesting thread. I went back to read it from the being and came across this comment. Confused me a little bit. Are you saying, Oldbabe that those of us who have chosen to live outside the US are less patriotic than those who have chosen to live within the borders? I wonder what the reasoning behind that is? I wasn't aware that exercising one's right of choice (which right I served 38 years to protect) did not include the right to live where we wished to without being demeaned.

And by the way, where are you in Colorado? As a former 20 plus year resident of that great state (Springs), I laughed like crazy when you juxtaposed "progressive" and "Colorado". But I guess there's hope, there is a new Democratic governor ... there might be hope yet, I suppose.

RP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 09:34 AM   #136
Give me a forum ...

This is an interesting site for poking around, my RE agent turned me on to it.

The data is limited and somewhat suspect (for example, they "borrow" data for a town that they dont have info on from nearby towns...sometimes accurately and sometimes not). But in a zillow-like manner, its a decent set of generalized data points, especially for areas you dont know.

You get a map and can search on education levels, political leanings, cost of living, taxes, etc...all in nice neat color coded maps by city and state.

http://neighboroo.com/
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:11 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP
This has been a long running, and interesting thread. I went back to read it from the being and came across this comment. Confused me a little bit. Are you saying, Oldbabe that those of us who have chosen to live outside the US are less patriotic than those who have chosen to live within the borders? I wonder what the reasoning behind that is? I wasn't aware that exercising one's right of choice (which right I served 38 years to protect) did not include the right to live where we wished to without being demeaned.

And by the way, where are you in Colorado? As a former 20 plus year resident of that great state (Springs), I laughed like crazy when you juxtaposed "progressive" and "Colorado". But I guess there's hope, there is a new Democratic governor ... there might be hope yet, I suppose.
No offense intended to those living outside the USA. I only meant that I like living here too much to live in another country. Probably I said it badly. Sorry you were offended. Thank you for your service to our country.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:41 AM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
This is an interesting site for poking around, my RE agent turned me on to it.

The data is limited and somewhat suspect (for example, they "borrow" data for a town that they dont have info on from nearby towns...sometimes accurately and sometimes not). But in a zillow-like manner, its a decent set of generalized data points, especially for areas you dont know.

You get a map and can search on education levels, political leanings, cost of living, taxes, etc...all in nice neat color coded maps by city and state.

http://neighboroo.com/
CFB did you mean http://neighborhoodscout.com/ ?
perinova is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 08:37 AM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Nope, its neighboroo...which doesnt seem to be working this morning but was working the last few days.

No charges to use it, looks like neighborhood scout requires a subscription and is more of a search tool, while neighboroo is more of a regional 'viewer'.

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/20...r-neighborhood
Old 03-12-2007, 08:44 AM   #140

you can use neighborhoodscout without a subscription. Some fields may be locked, nonetheless I was able to get good info from it.
that is where I'd go at first and choose an option neighborhoodscout.com/neighborhoods/

I will check neighborhoo once it is back up.
perinova is online now   Reply With Quote