Join Early Retirement Today

"Affordable" town in warm climate for single old babe
Old 01-11-2007, 04:43 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"Affordable" town in warm climate for single old babe

Anyone have a suggestion for a progressive (i.e. Democratic leaning) town in a warm climate that is "affordable", i.e. not coastside California, that would be good place for an old babe to retire? I am getting worried about staying in Colorado. This year has been brutal! I am thinking that someplace in Oregon might be a good choice. Anyone live in Eugene?
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: "Affordable" town in warm climate for single old babe
Old 01-11-2007, 04:47 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Austin

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 04:49 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I ran some stuff through some web site someone mentioned here about a year and a half ago...looking for good climate, low cost, limited taxes and not particularly excessive government hoohah and it spit out Las Cruces NM. Some folks mentioned moving a little further south and trying texas, but the property taxes there were nutty.

Did a search...it was www.findmyspot.com
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 04:51 PM   #4

Check out the Lake Chapala Mexico area. Lots of US retirees there. Warm, cheap, and wholesome.

What more could you ask for ?

Do a search on this forum for a discussion of the area.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 04:58 PM   #5

Please, not TEXAS. Remember the word "progressive."
Old 01-11-2007, 05:03 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Austin
Not to digress, but any of you Texas folks know of Halletsville? Mah Daddy was born there, and I'm thinking of making a little visit to research the family geneology.

This is not a complete diversion from topic -- given that I telecommute I could go down to Texas and stay for six months or a year or so... Any specifics on what a modest but decent (read: SAFE) apartment would cost an "old babe" in that general area?
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 05:14 PM   #7

Another place to live that you might want to consider...

Sedona Arizona. They have a thriving artist community there, very liberal community, and warm weather. Housing is a bit more there than other parts of arizona though but nothing like the 'coasts'
Old 01-11-2007, 05:23 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe
Please, not TEXAS. Remember the word "progressive."
Rather than be offended, I suppose I should just thank you for making it unecessary to post about the scorpions, rattlesnakes,...

Old 01-11-2007, 05:32 PM   #9

REWahoo,
I'm glad you're not offended. I love Texas, just as I love every state in our great country, but it's not for me.
Caroline, try www.realtor.com.

Also, I wonder if my thread could be moved to Life After Retirement since it really isn't about money per se. Sorry for the mistake.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster
Check out the Lake Chapala Mexico area. Lots of US retirees there. Warm, cheap, and wholesome.

What more could you ask for ?

Do a search on this forum for a discussion of the area.

That wouldn't work for me at all. I want to be within a quick drive of a major international airport. I want my kids to be close by.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:33 PM   #11

Lake Chapala is 30 minutes from Guadalajara international airport.

- Before you snort and then blow it off, just do a little search/research on it. You just may be very pleasantly surprised. And you can live well for not too much money.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Anyone have a suggestion for a progressive (i.e. Democratic leaning) town in a warm climate that is "affordable", i.e. not coastside California, that would be good place for an old babe to retire? I am getting worried about staying in Colorado. This year has been brutal! I am thinking that someplace in Oregon might be a good choice. Anyone live in Eugene?
I live outside of Portland. I love the NorthWest. Eugene is a great town, as is Portland. You have to be able to deal with the rain and overcast skies for long stretches of time though.

You should spend some time here, especially in the winter and see if you like it. The summers are dry and beautiful.

-helen
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:00 PM   #13

Thanks for the suggestion, Helen.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline
Not to digress, but any of you Texas folks know of Halletsville? Mah Daddy was born there, and I'm thinking of making a little visit to research the family geneology.

This is not a complete diversion from topic -- given that I telecommute I could go down to Texas and stay for six months or a year or so... Any specifics on what a modest but decent (read: SAFE) apartment would cost an "old babe" in that general area?
Yes, I definitely do know of Halletsville, TX. I worked in Austin for 15 years in the 80's & 90's and a good friend is from Halletsville. I know he inherited some land/a farm there, but I'm not sure whether he retired there or closer to San Antonio (Lavernia). He was always talking about Halletsville, though. I think his family has lots of representation in that area.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:07 PM   #15

I have never lived in Eugene OR - but I have spent alot of time there during my regional manager days. Great town....VERY left, hippy like. Lots to do, very afordable still. My rep in that area bought a 3 BR on a quarter acre for $150,000 less than a year ago, right in town.
Good luck!
Old 01-11-2007, 09:28 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Eugene is a nice town, but I wouldn't call it warm. Call it "Berkeley North."

Ha
Old 01-11-2007, 09:59 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I was thinking that you shouldn't use the words "Oregon" and "warm climate" in the same sentence. But compared to Colorado it may indeed feel warm to you.

We still have plenty of sun in the summertime and need to wear sunscreen. But I lived in California for 15 years and the intensity of sun up here is definitely much less than that in California.

We have friends who live in Eugene and they really like it.

Best wishes in your search for a new home.
Linney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:27 PM   #18

I was going to suggest:

Bend, OR and
Ashland, OR

I think that they both have less rain and over cast than Portland for example.

I think that Bend is kind of like Boulder 15 years ago.

Ashland is home to the Oregon Shakespeare festival.

Problem is that neither is near a major airport.

MB
mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:42 PM   #19

Sequim, WA. Probably less progressive than most of western WA, but also less soggy.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:29 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I shall chime in a I have lived in or close by several of the OR & WA communities mentioned.

Eugene (my natal & university town). Great combination of affordability and activities. Liberal orientation. They have an airport but most drive to Portland (I-5 is getting beastly) in about 2.5 hours. The nearby ski area is so-so (wet side of the Cascades), easy drive to the coast all seasons. Because of the U of OR there are lots of activities and performing arts opportunities.

Ashland is a quaint university town with a strong performing arts (theater) culture. Situated in the foothills of the Siskiyou Mountains it has a real winter. Small ski area just south of town. Not far from Crater Lake and Lake Shasta. Don't try driving to the coast in the winter, more than one vehicle has come to an unfortunate end.

Bend has gotten expensive. It is cold in the winter and hot in the summer. Great skiing, great for hiking and camping in the Cascades. Not for folks at risk for skin cancer. All the communities east of the Cascades are sunny, the Cascades wring the moisture out of the storms (you didn't read that, right?). However, they are on a high plateau and are downright chilly in the winter. The Redmond Airport serves Bend and is busy (beats driving over the mtns in the winter!).

Portland is even more expensive if you want to live in the city center - almost NYC prices IMHO. The further from the city center the more reasonable the housing cost. I am oriented to the west side so were I a single woman I would look around Orenco Station. Getting into the city center or the airport on the Max is a slam dunk. The 'hip part of Portland right now is the "Pearl". We old timers who remember the warehouses and sleazy bars of yesteryear roll our eyes, but it has gotten to be a fun neighborhood. Not far from Powell's bookstore. What amounts to a pub-crawl the first Thursday of every month. Portland has several senior non-profit residential communities, should that ever interest you.

Sequim, WA has a mild climate for this latitude. Getting to SEA airport is not easy. Urban oriented folks would need to make a huge adjustment.