Join Early Retirement Today
Re: After ER I moved here because...
Old 12-02-2004, 08:03 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Calgary_Girl, as a long time Calgarian currently on ex-pat assignment in Houston, it is getting harder and harder for spouse and I to consider returning to Calgary when I retire in the next year or two.

Once one gets used to being able to sit on the back patio in the mornings most days of the year (except last 2 mornings) in the Houston area reading the paper, having a coffee, listening to the water gurgle in our waterfall, and the Hibiscus still in bloom, my wife would consider the weather in Calgary self-inflicted masochism.

But since that is where most of the family is, we will probably find some way to enjoy 3 months in Calgary, tolerate another 4, and vacate south for most of the remaining 5 months.

AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2004, 04:27 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I Lucked out as to this point. * I worked in various positions San Francisco, Houston, Denver, *and was actually "recruited" in my early 40's to take a great position in Phoenix to head up a small company. (Phoenix was on my short list as places where I would like to base in ER!) Its not perfect, few places are, but its as best a base as I have had. *I can catch a flight out of Sky Harbor to Hawaii, Costa Rica or Europe, and drive to many of the resort areas on the Pacific. *The cost of housing is still within what passes the sanity test during this low interest rate induced bubble out west. (Part of the growth out here is the result of economic refugees moving "back east" out of SOCAL. 8)) *Its a very livable desert. Once you figure out that you have to travel to milder climes from June till August rather than suffer through the blast furnace heat of summer, it works to base here. *No frozen pipe issues when you are out of town to worry about. *Gravel yards, a few cacti, and the yard work is simple. *If you come out to AZ, do not get a pool if you are going to be on the road much, unless you want to have your own frog pond...there are actually services here that drain pools and put a deck over them so that you can avoid the hassel of pool maintenance. *I can find decent livable homes (Check the net) *for 175-200 K. *AZ works for me as per Bum's wish list for ER. *

LEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 04:41 PM   #23

Hi Brewer! Just noticed your query re. selling my Michigan cottage. It was about the time I was semiretiring (1993)
and moving back to Illinois where most of my family was
still located. Didn't think I could afford to keep it and I
didn't know I would end up back in Michigan in just
a few years. Also didn't know that my future wife would be a
Michigander. So, a classic case of 20/20 hindsight.