Join Early Retirement Today
Old 04-05-2016, 04:20 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by BurntBrain View Post
Hi everyone
Looking for some perspective. I will retire early in about 1 year at age 51. Married, 1 kid. Finances are all set. I am nervous about the transition to the next stage of life. I love all of the encouraging posts on this site highlighting the joys of living free...very inspiring. I was hoping that the community could guide me to some of your favorite threads/articles from people describing their experiences retiring early. I am looking for fairly sober assessments....the good and the bad, and some advice for making the transition as smooth, enjoyable and healthy as possible.
Dunno if this fits here, but here's a link to my own experiences from retiring early at age 53 (back in 1989). Married, four kids, and not a whole lot of money.

Sharing 23 years of Frugal Retirement

So, now, 27 years later, looking back, it's all there... the good, the bad, and the ugly. Not always easy, but always happy.

imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2016, 04:30 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
I think it's also important to compare the happiness and the overall experience.

There's tons of miserable retired people and they may also have been miserable pre-retirement .

I expect that ER, when I do it, will have a big impact on me in ways I can't expect. So did getting married, so did having kids. My attitude is to expect both good and bad and try the educate myself as best as I can and then remain flexible and open to those changes.

My one major "pro" I expect from RE (and if it doesn't happen I'll be very sad) is that I'll have more time to spend the way I want and less time taken up by imposed activities that I feel add no value but are obligations.

We'll see I guess

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

petershk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:04 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by petershk View Post
My one major "pro" I expect from RE (and if it doesn't happen I'll be very sad) is that I'll have more time to spend the way I want and less time taken up by imposed activities that I feel add no value but are obligations.

We'll see I guess

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
You will definitely get that! Wednesday was a complete day of 100% bliss for me. Those days are common, especially if you can reflect back on the (not so) good old days of work.

Sent from my XT1254 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
After FIRE
Old 04-07-2016, 07:58 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
After FIRE

51, and have been retired for 6 years. Did a little part time work for 3 years which I think was very important in my transition. Being single but having same GF for a decade who still works, I have found out surprisingly how much I enjoy being by myself as all my friends still have to work several more years. I noticed even in retirement I still like to have my little daily routines. Golf....OMG, never realized how many old people there are in this world. I play in a senior get together scrambles twice a week but there is one daily within driving distance. Out of the 50-100 that usually show up I bet 1-2 max besides me is under 68. Played in a foursome this week that included a 90 year old, 86, and 80. I have been retired 6 years and am still about 15 years too young to play with this guys, but generally its a hoot. But when they talk about something happening "awhile back" I dont know if they mean 2005 or 1955.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:56 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets
This is the beginning of my 3rd year in ER. I absolutely love it. I am a CPA. I retired from my position as Chief Audit Executive of a publicly traded company. I was so concerned at first about losing my identity in ER. So a few years prior to ER, I started teaching yoga and Pilates in my spare time. In ER, when asked "so what do you do?" I just say that I am a yoga teacher.

Most people don't have any follow up questions so I don't mention that I've ER'd.

I have no trouble finding enjoyable things to do. I am never bored. I am rarely stressed. I feel so fortunate to have ER'd when I turned 53.

Congratulations to you. You've come to the right place. I've found so much wisdom on this Forum. Learned a lot from the folks here😄

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Formerly known as "Retire 2014" Due to aggressive saving and a lot of luck managed to get out at end of March 2013, hence, the name change :)
Retire2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:20 AM   #26
Three very useful books I recommend dealing with the often overlooked qualitative side of retirement. They include some excellent self-assessments relating to preferences in retirement. Together, they cover all aspects, including health, happiness, personality, social, activities, family, housing, etc.:

"The Joy of Retirement: Finding Happiness, Freedom, and the Life You've Always Wanted": The Joy of Retirement: Finding Happiness, Freedom, and the Life You've Always Wanted (Audible Audio Edition): David C. Borchard, Patricia A. Donohoe, Sean Pratt, LLC Gildan Media: Books

"My Next Phase: The Personality-Based Guide to Your Best Retirement":

My Next Phase: The Personality-Based Guide to Your Best Retirement: Eric Sundstrom, Randy Burnham, Michael Burnham: 9780446581172: Books

"Comfort Zones: Planning a Fulfilling Retirement":

Comfort Zones: Planning a Fulfilling Retirement, 5th Edition: Marion E. Haynes: 9781592009909: Books
"He who knows that enough is enough will always have enough."
40/60 AA; < 2.5% WR; Delaying SS until 70
ER Date: 5/15/15
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:35 PM   #27
Welcome BB and as REW pointed out, it would be hard to know where to start with pointers on transitioning to ER, as this forum is full of 'em. It's one of the major topics discussed here regularly. My advice would be to pull up a chair every now and again, pour yourself a cuppa joe, and spend a happy hour or two reading the threads here. Repeat this on a regular basis - there's a lot to read! Some folk seem to experience great difficulty transitioning while for others, it's easy. A survey was done a few years ago on the different Meyers-Briggs personality types who frequent this little place on the internet and while there was a wide spread of types, introverts were in the majority with INTJ's forming the biggest group. Whether or not you buy into the ideas on dividing people into these 16 different types, it does point to the fact that certain personalities adjust more easily.

I'm an introvert, and a particularly insular type of oddball. I have one very good friend, and a few who I'd categorize more as various levels of acquaintances (with a few being pretty darned close to being in the friend category). One really good friend is all I need. I love my own company, almost more than is healthy for me. I barely noticed the transition to ER. This was basically how my transition to ER went - woke up on the first morning I didn't have to work. Said to myself, "Oh cool, I don't have to go to work." Rolled over, and went back to sleep for a while. Got up, made coffee. Did some stuff. Pottered around. Drank more coffee. Ate lunch, *pottered some more, ate dinner. Finally went to sleep.

I've been doing that for about 7 years now

PS "Pottering" does, of course, cover a fairly wide variety of activities

ER, for all intents and purposes. Part-time income <5% of annual expenditure.
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote