Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-12-2018, 08:07 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
This way, I will not get tired and give it up. The current thinking is when I get older, meaning 6 to 8 years down the road, will downsize to a class B and keep going.
Ya, not full-timing may mean we will RV longer. I hadn't thought of it that way.

We sometimes use the RV to visit family and friends (those that have room to park). When we go to help FIL with handyman stuff, it makes the stay nice instead of unbearable (hot house, uncomfortable beds, room in the refrigerator). Unintended bonus.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2018, 08:15 AM   #42

About FIRE dreams or goals - I used to think I would use the equivalent of former work hours to do fun and creative things.

Didn't realize I would want some time to just do nothing.

Does this mean I haven't yet adjusted to FIRE (or recovered from work?)
Old 08-12-2018, 08:43 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
Does this mean I haven't yet adjusted to FIRE (or recovered from work?)
No. It means you came to your senses.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:13 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'd caution against fixating on specific activities. I think the key to being happily retired is to be able to say that you enjoyed the day. Negative thinking , like "I should read more" or "I should travel more" is kind of self defeating - catering to other's expectations.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:20 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post

We sometimes use the RV to visit family and friends (those that have room to park).
Same here, only we stay at a nearby RV park so we have full hook-ups and all the comforts of home - including privacy and our own bed. This allows us (and the visitees) to have their own space and not be constantly underfoot. We think it makes for a nicer visit for all involved.

Never seriously considered going the full-time RV route. Love to hit the road but also enjoy being back home after a few weeks of traveling.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:30 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

I always like to have a variety of things to do. An enjoyable specific activity such as travel, if done to the extreme, becomes tedious and tiring to me. It's the same as eating steak everyday. It would not be long until I crave for a Cup-o-Noodle.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:58 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddie911 View Post
I think sometimes dreams can be a bit romanticized, particularly when we know it's not necessarily a serious immediate possibility. I think the idea of doing something and looking at it briefly or the superficial level isn't always close to the reality of it after experiencing it or even just giving it a closer inspection.
What a great thread, people! Lots of wise perspectives and options! I will check out that Sisters on the Fly site and give it further thought.

Yes, Fast Eddie, I agree that dreams can be aspirational (reach exceeding grasp!), and that realization can come when you finally FIRE and ... it's time. I"m big into viewing life as a spectrum, and therefore not all dreams are equal -but they all are informative! And, in the real world, they can be modified.
Sisters on the Fly
Old 08-13-2018, 03:17 PM   #48
Confused about dryer sheets

Sisters on the Fly

For camping, you might want to look into Sisters on the Fly, an outdoor adventure group for women.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:35 PM   #49
Dryer sheet wannabe

Kind of a wacky idea but my son is an Eagle Scout. You could see if any of the Venturing groups in your area need female adults to accompany them on trips. I'm sure they do. Venturing has been co-ed for decades and is for 14-21 year olds. They'll teach you how to camp! Or now that they are opening Boy Scouts to girls, there may be new female Troops that could use you also. They would be 11-18. You can find them at beascout.org
jgrdarrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 03:23 PM   #50

I had budgeted ~$50K for a B/C RV upon retirement. Then, I had to reflect on how few times DW joined DS and I on our numerous trips in a towed RV many years ago. Ergo, decided that 50K would cover a whole bunch of airfare and hotels. 15 months into retirement and the no RV thought was an epiphany. "Camping" is now a waterfront AIRBNB or a mountain cabin.

Yeah, don't get hung up on retirement "mission statements." They add no value, while potentially adding (unwarranted) stress. Early on, I over-volunteered - - - big mistake.

The beauty of FI is the unbridled freedom that comes with it. While I enjoyed most of my career, I new I was chained to mega-c*rp. I'll not self-shackle in retirement.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:33 PM   #51

Sister is 70 and has a "Casita" attached to her Ram pickup. She left her home 5 years ago and has travelled the country. Last month or so she has been in Alaska with her little dog. Seems happy!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:11 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
Sister is 70 and has a "Casita" attached to her Ram pickup. She left her home 5 years ago and has travelled the country. Last month or so she has been in Alaska with her little dog. Seems happy!
Minus the little dog, that’s my retirement plan right there. No big house to clean, no lawn work, a relatively cheap cost of living, trying different regional food, and the ability to see as many state / national parks as possible.
Snidely Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:47 PM   #53

As I get older, the thought of sky diving becomes, what if I break some bones? They might take a long time to heal. I also wanted to get my pilot's license. Now, living in Hawaii, it's no longer seeming as important. I also wanted to film, edit, produce, and narrate my own ocean documentary for the Discorvery Channel or Nat Geo. But now, the production of such ventures requires a lot of money a lot of time, and a lot of people to get amazing footage that no one's ever seen before. These dreams, for me, at 52, don't matter as much. I used to want a Lamborghini or a Ferrari...a fancy, high-powered sports car is also no longer seeming as important to me...so what is? Dive travel, with my wife. And world photography travel.
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:24 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

I always figured to walk the Appalachian Trail upon retirement. Then upon retirement, I realized that it just wasn't going to happen. The mind could do it, but don't think that this body could do it...
LuckyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:50 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
As I get older, the thought of sky diving becomes, what if I break some bones? They might take a long time to heal. I also wanted to get my pilot's license. Now, living in Hawaii, it's no longer seeming as important. I also wanted to film, edit, produce, and narrate my own ocean documentary for the Discorvery Channel or Nat Geo. But now, the production of such ventures requires a lot of money a lot of time, and a lot of people to get amazing footage that no one's ever seen before. These dreams, for me, at 52, don't matter as much. I used to want a Lamborghini or a Ferrari...a fancy, high-powered sports car is also no longer seeming as important to me...so what is? Dive travel, with my wife. And world photography travel.
+1
Bolded - Big dream of mine, but doesn't work budget wise now and still have the Z4.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:37 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I have thought of this. One of the things I've been pondering lately is what do I really want to do now in this window of time. That is, I'm 64 and in good health. DH is 70 and in good health. I can't assume both of those will exist forever. So one thing I think about is what things do I do now that I might not be able to do later?

I also have realized that I don't have unlimited time. That is, I need to pick and choose what is really most important to me.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:00 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

In ancient times long ago and far far away to plagiarize, I have met downhill skiers in their 70's.

Then there is me and and my skill set.

Heh heh heh - ER wise I am more than happy to motor around the farm and watch the grass grow while collecting the Govt. CRP check. I know a mental gear separation when it occurs and DO NOT ACT.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:43 PM   #58

OP, that's a thoughtful post. I think many of us "see" ourselves as one thing, but when push comes to shove we don't put the energy into actually doing it. But at 62, given fair to good health, you can do anything you want, as long as you want it bad enough. There are plenty of meet ups, or groups to join to camp or to travel. I used to travel with the Sierra Club and did some great trips, for just one example. I plan in retirement to join such travel groups and/or groups related to other interests.

So define your dream and make plans to do it! A friend of mine took up horseback riding at age 65 (!) and now at 75 still rides weekly, helps out at the stable, and has a huge event calendar with the "horse set" of people she's met. She's an inspiration!
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:05 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
I really wanted to travel around the world for 1-2 years when we FIREd, but I can’t leave my dog for that long. He’s a middle-aged dog so by the time he’s gone, we may not be up for spontaneous global travel. We’ll see ...
There are sites that connect people who house/petsit for free in exchange for free lodging. We have done this as both houseowners and sitters several times. You have do your due diligence on both ends investigating, but it is so worth it, IMO!

ie.:

housesitters.com and housecarers.com (I have used both sucessfully.)

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:28 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
There are sites that connect people who house/petsit for free in exchange for free lodging. We have done this as both houseowners and sitters several times. You have do your due diligence on both ends investigating, but it is so worth it, IMO!

ie.:

housesitters.com and housecarers.com (I have used both sucessfully.)

Thanks simplegirl! We do have a great pet sitter, but I still wouldn’t want to leave my dog for too long. We have thought about trying to become house sitters to be able to travel even more than we do.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote