Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-07-2015, 06:25 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
My previous avatar was Thomas Young... a measure of the arrogance I enjoy in my inner self.
Something about an excellent liberal arts background builds in a thirst to know more about everything and anything. The structured learning of a semester or two of art, religion, astronomy, psychology, physics, chemistry, literature, languages, history and the 12 other disciplines that were part of the process... establishes a frame for building on any new interest. Even ROTC provided a base for understanding strategy and tactics.

snip...

Much more on my plate than Thomas Young ever had. He had to build knowledge from scratch, to grow from seed. I, (we) have only to stroll through the garden and pick and choose the fruits of what has been provided by those who have gone before.

Retirement and age... the best of all times. Philosophy guided by John Milton in his sonnet-- "On His Blindness".
Thomas Young is one of my favorite historical figures. My Masters Thesis focused on his theory of acoustics and how it shaped his more famous description of the interference of light. There is a pretty good popular biography of Young out there entitled "The Last Man Who Knew Everything." I don't recall right now if it describes his self-administered prostate surgery or the things that he stuck into his eyes in the name of science, but it does a great job of outlining ALL of the areas of knowledge to which Young made incredibly important contributions.

An incredibly great and overlooked man.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2015, 08:29 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I am not sure if that means I need it the most or maybe it means that is one potential hobby type activity I can safely rule out as being not suited to.

Both!

Old 02-07-2015, 09:57 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred123 View Post
I believe World Science U has a number of non-mathematical (as well as more technical) courses on various physics topics (cosmology, relativity, quantum mechanics) if you're interested. Haven't taken any of these myself, but they look intriguing.
This sounds really interesting, thank you for posting!
Old 02-09-2015, 01:25 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Meditation and additional education are both areas that I am hoping to explore once ER'd. Like a few others, I have even considered law school with no intention of a traditional practice.

But, at this point, it all sounds like too much w*rk; I am really just looking very forward to having absolutely nothing to do for a while.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:51 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Too much other stuff to do. Also, don't want to have to learn according to someone else's schedule. There is plenty of educational materials on line to suit me, and I have a wide variety of interests. I study religious history and texts, for one. As we travel excessively, going back to school wouldn't be an option.

It's time be active while we're able.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-10-2015, 06:35 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
I'm actually considering going to law school. I've considered it on and off again for many years but now I'm free to attend without the incredible stress of having to get into a T1 school or be in the top 10% or do any of the extra curricular stuff folks do to try and make a name for themselves. I think it would be enjoyable and a good challenge for my brain. And I figure if I don't like it, I can stop going.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
I guy I worked with retired at about 55 and worked part time in a book store for a couple of years. He then returned to school and got a PHD in Education and now teaches at the University of Colorado.

Edit: I do have to add, different strokes for different folks. I take a few online courses at here and there but that is pure curiosity and akin to reading books. I am not about to work. My former coworker has now been teaching for about 10 years and is into his 70s. No thanks.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:53 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Funny...my two kids in college complain about the 'old' people auditing classes that ask 'dumb' questions and take up time the teacher should be spending teaching

Old 02-10-2015, 04:42 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
But, at this point, it all sounds like too much w*rk; I am really just looking very forward to having absolutely nothing to do for a while.
That can grow on you, trust me. Don't ask how I know. Heh, heh.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:31 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've taken some coursera courses on astrophysics. Well, one course to be exact. Einstein and Special Relativity.

I tried another one on Cosmology and the Universe (offered by Caltech). Way over my head - too much math that I would have to review to understand it. I'm more of a dabbler, a dilettante, at this point.

I'm always up for navel-gazing and thinking about what all this means. I hope to have a few more decades at least to figure it out. Or die trying.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:01 AM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Damn, y'all are quite impressive. I can't even get out of bed the same time every day.
Maybe you need to stop eating all those cupcakes and go back to broccoli
Old 02-11-2015, 12:09 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newventurer View Post
Funny...my two kids in college complain about the 'old' people auditing classes that ask 'dumb' questions and take up time the teacher should be spending teaching

Happy to be one of them <laugh>. I don't *care* if it's going to be on the test.