Join Early Retirement Today

Re: After The FIRE
Old 12-31-2005, 11:58 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers
Nice to see a good reference to hiefer.org*

We have too much "stuff" so I gave my wife a goat for Christmas. We donate to heifer and volunteer a little, great organization. When we retire we plan to give them more of our time if less of our $.
Yes, thanks. I wasn't familiar with them. Yakers, what sort of work do you do when you volunteer for them?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2005, 07:22 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
Yes, thanks.* I wasn't familiar with them.* Yakers, what sort of work do you do when you volunteer for them?*
Not that much. Wife & I tended to their booth at the LA County Fair and we have been to some of their dinners and fund raisers.
Neat part is my wife reads "Beartice's Goat" to her 2nd grade students. Its a story about how this family in Africa receives a goat and the milk and offspring help support the family and send Beatrice to school. And its a true story. And Heifer is a good group that provides all kinds of animal and farming assistance to help people become self sufficient.
Lots of other good groups out there like Habitat for Humanity (and I was in Big Brothers for years) but I can personnally recommend Heifer.

Old 12-31-2005, 07:59 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm a big fan of teaching how to fish.

I'm still looking for a charity that conforms to the Sam Kinnison methodology.

Instead of continuously bringing food to people who live where food wont grow, you bring them u-hauls so they can move to where the food is. When you read this, starting after u-hauls, yell the rest a la Jim Cramer for the full effect.

But seriously folks, donating an Ark pretty much gets a small village a head start towards self sufficiency.

Oprahs "Angel Network" is loaded with a bunch of other charities that all look good if giving animals or cell phones isnt tickling your fancy. Considering I regularly have to unprogram my wife from buying everything Oprah likes, take it as a positive that I think she vets her charities pretty well for actually doing something good without hacking too much of your donations off and shoving them in their own pockets.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 02:55 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers
Nice to see a good reference to hiefer.org

We have too much "stuff" so I gave my wife a goat for Christmas. We donate to heifer and volunteer a little, great organization. When we retire we plan to give them more of our time if less of our $.
I like Heifer's concept, but the charity seems rather inefficient; over 28% for fundraising and administration expenses:

http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...orgid/3809.htm

I've been giving money this year to AmeriCares since they seem to have VERY low expenses,
but I'd prefer to give to a smaller organization that does more than humanitarian relief.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...orgid/3289.htm
Old 01-05-2006, 03:10 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderALot
I've been giving money this year to AmeriCares since they seem to have VERY low expenses,
but I'd prefer to give to a smaller organization that does more than humanitarian relief.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...orgid/3289.htm
We donated to Americares last year after the tsunami in Indonesia/Thailand (wife is from that region). Most of the money gets to the people in need. After the donation we have received a lot of solicitations for more donations, although they seemed to have tapered off a lot since then.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:17 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
..... After the donation we have received a lot of solicitations for more donations, although they seemed to have tapered off a lot since then.
Thats what I hate about giving to organizations. I give when I can, but the constant phonecall badgering and junk mail drives me nuts. Wish there was away just to be able to donate and not be on someones "hot list", for more donations.

Christopher
Old 01-05-2006, 03:52 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris24
Thats what I hate about giving to organizations. I give when I can, but the constant phonecall badgering and junk mail drives me nuts. Wish there was away just to be able to donate and not be on someones "hot list", for more donations.

Christopher
I have been moving to much smaller organizations and fewer in number. Instead of using the shotgun approach and tossing contributions to several causes, DW and I are focusing on local ones and much fewer in number. That slows down the flow of unwanted address labels, calendars and key rings I used to get all the time. Some never stop bugging you despite just getting a check from you. I don't contribute to them any longer and I hope they will give up someday. How do you stop all the junk mail?

Old 01-07-2006, 05:48 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
I don't contribute to them any longer and I hope they will give up someday.* How do you stop all the junk mail?
I don't know--maybe just call and ask them to stop sending you stuff and remind them they're wasting their money?

Regarding avoiding getting on lists, maybe one could use cashier's checks to make donations anonymously?* I think one's name and address are not printed on those but I can't remember for sure.* Of course, it's more hassle to go to one's bank or credit union to get them, but maybe it's worth a try.

Edited because I didn't originally answer the quoted question...
Old 01-13-2006, 05:12 PM   #29

I have had good success with including a note with my donation saying please do not put me on your mailing list.

Another thing that works with those organizations that keep sending you requests is a nice note to the effect of "Stop sending me requests please because the money you spend on it could be better spent on your primary purpose."