Join Early Retirement Today
Old 04-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #21
I'm thinking about one of these:

Ranch hand on a cattle ranch
Volunteer at the hospital driving the outpatient bus
Volunteer at the local historical society
Lawn care
Part time helper at a microbrewery

But right now I'm too busy with my own projects to get into anything else.

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I don't ever plan to sell my time to some slavedriver who wants to tell me what to do with it work, again. I seriously doubt that I will want to do anything resembling a job now that I am retired.

Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Even volunteering formally sounds repugnant.
Can't agree with you there. Many formal volunteer positions provide tremendous opportunities for friendship, personal growth and fulfillment (there are also some where the volunteers' role seems to be little more than doing the grubby work while the paid staff get to do all the more glamorous stuff; but those are the exception, and are easily avoided).

For clarity, the above should not be read as an insinuation that early retirees are morally obliged to volunteer their time, or that those who choose not to are less than full human beings.

Originally Posted by youbet View Post
[F]olks talk about "working" or "careers" or "owning a business" while retired. Seems like an oxymoron.... I call most of these situations what they are: moving from full time to part time or starting a second career or owning my own business instead of being employed by someone else.

"If at any times we must deal in extremes, then we prefer the quiet, good-natured hypocrite to the implacable, turbulent zealot of any kind. In plain terms, we are not so fond of any set of notions, as to think them more important than the peace of society". John Toland, The Description of Epsom (1711)
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:58 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I applied for a summer position as a Park Ranger at Assateague National Park, but with my 30+ years of work history I didn't have enough experience, so I'll just have to spend the summer sitting on the beach watching.

"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is offline   Reply With Quote