Join Early Retirement Today

After the Retirement Party
Old 03-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

After the Retirement Party

After the retirement party - FT.com

Above link may require registration, but you can access limited articles free.

Entitled, " After the Retirement Party", the article talks about the rewards, not necessarily financial, that come from continuing, or in some cases starting, to provide value thru a new career, both to others ("giving back"), and to your self.

Have any people here moved on to a second career after ER?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
You aren't retired if you move to a second career, you're just changing jobs.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:16 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As a volunteer, the answer is 'yes' in my case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
[URL="http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/f505ee90-9557-11e2-a4fa-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2P56HSRHy"]

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:39 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I post sarcastic remarks here, daily.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:55 AM   #5

I haven't retired yet, but my hope is to "work" at things that I love to do, without much regard for financial compensation. There are too many benefits of productive, creative work to give it up entirely and just focus on various pleasures -- I mean work that you enjoy, that ties into your values and sense of purpose, that is useful or helpful to the world somehow. The alternative (no productive/creative work at all, just a focus on personal interests/pleasures) would not be satisfying or interesting to me.

On the other hand, I cringe at the thought of a second "career." I am retiring to get away from my career. I am tired of the workaday world that requires so much sacrifice. A second career sounds way too much like traditional "work" to me. No thanks.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I've noticed, but made no formal attempt to measure, a trend on this board the past 2 - 3 years for folks to talk about "working" or "careers" or "owning a business" while retired. Seems like an oxymoron. But I suppose it's all terminology. For folks whose working lives were spent in pension-paying MegaCorp or gov't jobs where they can collect a pension sometime after terminating, the act of having completed pension requirements seems to be enough to qualify for "retirement." This even if the individual plans on running a full time business or have some other activity in persuit of significant income.

Like you, I call most of these situations what they are: moving from full time to part time or starting a second career or owning my own business instead of being employed by someone else.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Yes, I post sarcastic remarks here, daily.
And I ROTFLMAO at them
Old 03-31-2013, 05:20 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have a lifetime position as Wealth Manager for a certain South Texas family. Yes the caps are appropriate.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #9

Been looking for something enjoyable to do which may or may not be helpful to others and any financial compensation it might incur would be a secondary consideration. Or teriary. Cetainly, not a j*b....
Old 04-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #10
Administrator

I don't ever plan to sell my time to some slavedriver who wants to tell me what to do with it work, again.

I seriously doubt that I will want to do anything resembling a job now that I am retired. Even volunteering formally sounds repugnant. I do try to come up with unexpected kindnesses frequently (without pay, of course), and in that sense I suppose that I volunteer.

If I wanted to go back to work, I'd go back to work and I would call it what it is, work. But I don't.

Due to the economy there are a lot of people out there who have no way of knowing if they are unemployed or (forcibly) retired. I think this has added some confusion to the definition of retirement. Most of the ones I know are pretty open about their situations, though.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #11

I'd like to give back some of what I've received from the community during my working career. If I just retired I'd get fat, watch too much TV, sitting around all day. But....I don't want a boss, regular hours or a paycheck. And, what do I get for what I want to do? .....a warm fuzzy and a smile on my face knowing I've helped others
Old 04-02-2013, 04:44 AM   #12

After I retire, I discovered I am a great cook, homemaker, holiday planner and a much better person to be with. In that way I am giving back to my loved ones, friends and even myself.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:23 AM   #13
gone traveling

No, and I'm not planning on it.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #14

No. But I do play volunteer DJ reading to the blind on the local PBS. That doesn't count since I consider the station doing me a favor allowing me to participate and they are so nice to all of us.

Cheers!
Old 04-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I totally agree with this. I volunteer on an occasional basis. I've put on two 6-week science classes. It helps me stay in touch with my previous science career without the it being or looking like or feeling like a j*b.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I like doing volunteer w*rk for veterans' organizations (American Legion, VFW) on an ad hoc basis. Fundraising events are always short-handed, especially in the kitchen and cleanup departments. I do not attend meetings or plan events. I simply show up with an apron, a smile and a pair of helping hands.

I have not considered a 2nd career, however if things ever hit the fan, I could easily w*rk for a greenhouse or nursery with my life long knowledge of plant care. I love planting and growing green things, so it would not seem like a j*b in comparison to my previous c*reer as an Engineer.
I would do very well as a landscape designer.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #17

This dog plans to stay on the porch.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:11 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I like doing volunteer w*rk for veterans' organizations (American Legion, VFW) on an ad hoc basis. Fundraising events are always short-handed, especially in the kitchen and cleanup departments. I do not attend meetings or plan events. I simply show up with an apron, a smile and a pair of helping hands.

I have not considered a 2nd career, however if things ever hit the fan, I could easily w*rk for a greenhouse or nursery with my life long knowledge of plant care. I love planting and growing green things, so it would not seem like a j*b in comparison to my previous c*reer as an Engineer.
I would do very well as a landscape designer.
An apron and a smile, eh?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
An apron and a smile, eh?
I would imagine that very thought has crossed many an older gentleman's mind when I show up to help. They do love to flirt with me. Rascals!

My next volunteer event...I will be helping in the kitchen.
http://boonvillevfwrvn.com/
http://boonvillevfwrvn.com/prep.html
Old 04-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Never volunteer. However over the last 19 years I have been 'nailed', cajowled, and gently arm twisted on more occasions then I care to mention.

That said - my all time favorite is doing nothing - watching grass grow and seeing how long the lawnmower can remain unstarted.

heh heh heh -there's theory - aka 'doing nothing in particular' and then there is practice - 'you need help to do what!' I like theory better.