After you are gone ! Any concerns ?

I've seen both situations happen, one spouse dies and soon after the other. I've also seen one spouse die and the other get a new lease on life. My aunt is traveling the world, doing things she could never do, her words to me a few months ago were " I have a new freedom and I'm loving it", I said you go auntie and have a great time!!!

frayne said:
What I do worry about is some money grubbing low life putting on a song and dance to marry my beautiful, loving and trusting wife and then leaving her a year or two later, after he's emptied the coffers.

Anyone else have this same concern ?
Frayne,

That reminds me of an old joke... The punchline goes something like:
"Dad, why did you tell all the guys you were dying of AIDS?" "'Cause I didn't want any of them bastards pesterin' yer poor mither."

Any concerns ?
Yeh, since I'll probably remain single, (blessing and curse) I am concerned about who will get my final estate of $53.19, in today's dollars of course. :(
I want to be remembered as the guy who left a litttle something in the kitty. Besides I wouldn't my last check to bounce unlike some of the financially irresponsible members here. :D

MJ,

Good thoughts. Assuming theres enough to go around, I say Give With A Warm Hand, and if possible a little something in the kitty.

Martha said:
I do think that many elderly have a very hard time after their spouse dies. Death of a spouse is often number one on a variety of "stress scales." http://www.teachhealth.com/#stressscale

A friend of mine's father died and his mother, in otherwise good health, had a heart attack on hearing the news. My father had a minor heart attack right after my mother died.

In the retirement community my FIL lived in, you would often see surviving spouses struggle both with their health and financially after a spouse died.

That's true for the elderly.

Sometimes it turns out quite well financially for younger people. My bother-in-law's wife passed away 4 years ago. She had taken out a life insurance policy over $1Mil. He is still working just to get medical benefits. The children are receiving over $3K monthly death benefits from the government until they turn 18. This along will cover their college education expenses. It's amasing that the government would pay in lieu of his assets ($1 mil plus rental properties).

I am implying this is a good thing since he and his two children will still have to bear the emotional pain of her death.

Spanky said:
That's true for the elderly.

Sometimes it turns out quite well financially for younger people. My bother-in-law's wife passed away 4 years ago. She had taken out a life insurance policy over $1Mil. He is still working just to get medical benefits. The children are receiving over $3K monthly death benefits from the government until they turn 18. This along will cover their college education expenses. It's amasing that the government would pay in lieu of his assets ($1 mil plus rental properties).

I am implying this is a good thing since he and his two children will still have to bear the emotional pain of her death.

The reality is that very few younger families come out this well fiancially. Many of the younger widows/widowers I correspond with do not have it so lucky. Many have one or more children, no life insurance, no job, and lots of bills and debts. SS helps some but it is not enough to raise a family on. Many have to sell the house to get out of the mortgage and use college funds to buy groceries and pay the rent. Even if both spouses worked, living on a single income is difficult when you used to have two. While the elderly are the most likely to be widowed and to have no life insurance, the younger families are no less financially affected; and in many cases worse because of the debts and expenses associated with rasising kids.

There are exceptions to everything. My intent here is keep people thinking about what would really happen to their family after they died. Are they really taken care of to the level needed to maintain their living standard. (No, I do not sell life insurance).

Steve,

It's sad that so many families are unprepared to handle this kind of event. No one anticipates to die early, but we should ensure that our spouse and children are covered by adequate amount of insurance or savings.

Spanky

My only concern is our son if anything happen to me and my spouse at the same time. Though highly unlikely, one can never tell.

On the one hand we do not want him to know how much money we have, we afraid he would be less motivated to be financial independent. On the other hand. we do not have anyone to manage all this until he turn 18. I doubt that if he can manage it by then.

I just hope that it won't come to this.

Back
Top Bottom