Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-09-2008, 11:12 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, now the collar is gonna tighten up a little! If I were in your flippers I'd do everything I could to make sure this volunteering gig works out well for her.

Congratulations to your whole family, and best of luck as you turn the page.

(sound of "bosun's pipe" as she departs the bridge . . .)
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2008, 07:18 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
It'll be interesting to see if she gets treated differently when she's retired and no longer wearing a uniform.
Odds are VERY good she will be treated VERY differently!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Hey, I thought of you this morning when they towed the ex-USS TRIPOLI by White Plains Beach after its last missile test and started getting it ready for RIMPAC. Sorry about the sideboys but the offer of surfing lessons still stands!
Wish I had found this board in time for RIMPAC '06! Hopefully this year will be a safe and sane one for those involved! Your surfing lessons are still on "the LIST"
Old 06-26-2008, 06:13 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

She faxed in her request yesterday, and in a stunning coincidence this turned up in my weekly e-mail:

Next Generation of Navy Uniform Arrives

Quote:
The Navy responded, and commands are preparing to adopt the new uniforms in waves according to region. Reserve Sailors can expect to wear them later this year or early next year. The new Navy working uniform (NWU) replaces the utilities, wash khaki, coveralls, woodland green, aviation green, winter working blues and summer whites.
With a digital print pattern incorporating Navy blue, deck gray, haze gray and black, the NWU is a wash-and-wear 50/50 nylon and cotton blend. The majority of Sailors surveyed preferred a BDU-style uniform, one that doesn't show spots, stains or heavy wear like a solid color uniform and allows mending of small tears in fabric, saving money in replacement costs.
Quote:
Even as the Navy introduces these changes, others are still on the drawing board. Last fall, selected officers and Sailors began limited wear testing of new service dress khaki for chiefs and officers and the new service dress blue and white jumpers for E-6 and below.
The service dress khaki uniform is in a traditional style, last worn during the Vietnam War era, while the E-6 and below service uniforms have hidden zippers and new piping for service dress white. The service dress blue will be for men only.
A Navy wind suit also is being considered to complement the new PT uniforms.
Quote:
The total projected cost of Task Force Uniform is $433 million over a two-year outfitting period, spread over fiscal years 2008 and 2009.
Of course in a "tactical environment" (read "land combat zone", not "at sea") they'll still be wearing woodland/desert BDUs.

BDU envy has hit the Navy just as badly as it bit the Air Force, and coveralls/khakis are no longer "good enough". I'm sure REWahoo! will join me in simultaneously laughing and crying.

The military is never the same one you retired from. Most of the time that's a good thing but...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:46 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congrats to Mrs. Nords! I hope that you two have a great time in your retirement. No schedules, no worries, just do what you want. Enjoy!
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:06 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Cangratulations to you, (I think) and to Mrs. Nords. You are the model for all of us for FIRE....

Tags
military