Join Early Retirement Today

(*Ahem*) The other Nords finally ERs
Old 06-09-2008, 09:59 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

(*Ahem*) The other Nords finally ERs

In early 2001, a year before I retired from active duty, spouse left her active-duty career for the Reserves. In the first six years she did a weekend a month & two weeks a year at PACOM, and for the last year she's been on independent duty.

She had no real reason to stay in the Reserves, but she had no real reason to leave it either. The money (when she was in a pay billet) was all going into her TSP account. Each drill point is worth a few more cents/month of retired pay for the rest of her life. She was gonna go all the way to 30 but a few months ago she got her formal notification that she'd finished her Reserve obligation and was free to retire at any time. That wasn't a surprise but it effected a surprising change of attitude.

Like Dory has said, when you've achieved FI the BS bucket suddenly gets very small. Hers filled to overflowing in about three months. She stops drilling after this month and she'll formally retire at the end of the year. In 2022 she'll start collecting her own pension.

Our kid still wants to go Navy but she's too tall for Mom's old uniforms. So yesterday we had a massive uniform cleanout and our old (but serviceable) stuff is going to the thrift shop for someone to get a few more years out of it. Finally, we're both out of uniform!

She won't be feeling bored or unfulfilled. A few months ago an old shipmate called her for help with volunteer work. It's turned out to be more bureaucracy & incompetence than she expected but she enjoys working with the customers. We'll have to see how she feels about this in another year or so...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2008, 10:02 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Does this mean you'll be out surfing more? I'm jealous! Congrats!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:06 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That's great, Nords. Congrats to you and the missus.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:13 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

congrats nords. i sure wish i had a s.o. to retire with. as a single guy i'm really not enjoying this as much as i thought i might. any chance the navy will take a newbie 51 year old? does don't ask/don't tell apply to age too?

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:21 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Nords, congratulations to your spouse and my sincere condolences to you for your decline in freedom and independence.

Not so? Just wait...
Old 06-09-2008, 10:38 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
A few months ago an old shipmate called her for help with volunteer work. It's turned out to be more bureaucracy & incompetence than she expected but she enjoys working with the customers. We'll have to see how she feels about this in another year or so...
Just curious, what kind of volunteer work will Ms. Nords be doing?
Old 06-09-2008, 10:44 AM   #7

Does she need any sideboys to come out TAD for her retirement

Congratulations to Mrs./CDR/CAPT (?) Nords!
Old 06-09-2008, 11:27 AM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

Congratulations ! Now you two can bond 24 hrs. a day !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:17 PM   #9

Nords, good for you, now what is she going to do all day?
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:21 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Nords, congratulations! It was time.
Jake46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:26 PM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hey that's awesome Nords! I lived in Hawaii for 5.5 years when I was a kid, and I think it's probably the best place in the world to retire!
xynny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:31 PM   #12

Congrats to her - hope to be doing that soon - it's either Dec 09 or dec/Jan 11 - depends on what the AF Reserves does......:-) If she's anything like my girlfriend, she'll find out that the leadership and organizational skills she has will be in big demand....she'll need to say no sometimes.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:29 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Outstanding! Congrats, heck you 2 are young enough.....maybe another kid?

Old 06-09-2008, 01:29 PM   #14

Glad to hear that Mrs Nords has seen the light. Does that mean she will be out surfing with you every day?

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:50 PM   #15

That's good news.

My DW did something similar. She planned to work 3-4 years after I retired (she is about 9 years younger than I am). Somewhere about the 10 month mark she asked if we were really FI. Upon my confirmation, she said life at work was no longer enjoyable and asked if she could RE. She then submitted her retirement notice and RE 2 months later.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:31 PM   #16

Congratulations to you and Mrs. Nords! Hope you have many, many happy years of retirement ahead of you -- and if you think it's going to be different having her around the house all the time, wait until your daughter heads off to college!
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:52 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill View Post
Does this mean you'll be out surfing more? I'm jealous! Congrats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Nords, congratulations to your spouse and my sincere condolences to you for your decline in freedom and independence.
Not so? Just wait...
You guys nailed it! She'll figure it out; all of this Reserve time has been good practice for ER. She knows how to surf but she chooses not to-- she just doesn't see the point of all that exertion. But I love her anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Just curious, what kind of volunteer work will Ms. Nords be doing?
It's the germinating Hawaii branch of a very small literacy foundation for military families. They do a good job but dealing with the military bureaucracy occasionally gets in the way of the mission. It'll be interesting to see if she gets treated differently when she's retired and no longer wearing a uniform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2025 View Post
Does she need any sideboys to come out TAD for her retirement
Nah, she's going to just quietly fade away. The retirement request goes in, she calls a couple of shipmates, and maybe e-mails another half-dozen. We feel that the ceremony is more of a hassle (for us) and a burden (for the attendees) than it's worth.

Hey, I thought of you this morning when they towed the ex-USS TRIPOLI by White Plains Beach after its last missile test and started getting it ready for RIMPAC. Sorry about the sideboys but the offer of surfing lessons still stands!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzo View Post
Outstanding! Congrats, heck you 2 are young enough.....maybe another kid?
Well, I guess I'll leave that up to her. Of course she's going to have to find a willing participant who's actually fertile, too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiever51 View Post
Congratulations to you and Mrs. Nords! Hope you have many, many happy years of retirement ahead of you -- and if you think it's going to be different having her around the house all the time, wait until your daughter heads off to college!
Less than 800 days! Unfortunately the pet bunny is only seven years old and disgustingly healthy, so we're going to have to hold off that Thailand trip until we're truly empty-nesters.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:46 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Unfortunately the pet bunny is only seven years old and disgustingly healthy, so we're going to have to hold off that Thailand trip until we're truly empty-nesters.
Hey, what about the worms?!?

2Cor521

P.S. - Congratulations!
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:05 PM   #19
Administrator

Bravo zulu to Mrs. Nords. Hope you both enjoy your newly shared freedom.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:50 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Oh my, someone is not going to be surfing as much as they think! Err, I mean.... Congratulations to Mrs. Nords.
jclarksnakes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
military