(*Ahem*) The other Nords finally ERs

Nords

Moderator Emeritus
In early 2001, a year before I retired from active duty, spouse left her active-duty career for the Reserves. In the first six years she did a weekend a month & two weeks a year at PACOM, and for the last year she's been on independent duty.

She had no real reason to stay in the Reserves, but she had no real reason to leave it either. The money (when she was in a pay billet) was all going into her TSP account. Each drill point is worth a few more cents/month of retired pay for the rest of her life. She was gonna go all the way to 30 but a few months ago she got her formal notification that she'd finished her Reserve obligation and was free to retire at any time. That wasn't a surprise but it effected a surprising change of attitude.

Like Dory has said, when you've achieved FI the BS bucket suddenly gets very small. Hers filled to overflowing in about three months. She stops drilling after this month and she'll formally retire at the end of the year. In 2022 she'll start collecting her own pension.

Our kid still wants to go Navy but she's too tall for Mom's old uniforms. So yesterday we had a massive uniform cleanout and our old (but serviceable) stuff is going to the thrift shop for someone to get a few more years out of it. Finally, we're both out of uniform!

She won't be feeling bored or unfulfilled. A few months ago an old shipmate called her for help with volunteer work. It's turned out to be more bureaucracy & incompetence than she expected but she enjoys working with the customers. We'll have to see how she feels about this in another year or so...

That's great, Nords. Congrats to you and the missus.

congrats nords. i sure wish i had a s.o. to retire with. as a single guy i'm really not enjoying this as much as i thought i might. any chance the navy will take a newbie 51 year old? does don't ask/don't tell apply to age too?

Nords, congratulations to your spouse and my sincere condolences to you for your decline in freedom and independence.

Not so? Just wait... :)

A few months ago an old shipmate called her for help with volunteer work. It's turned out to be more bureaucracy & incompetence than she expected but she enjoys working with the customers. We'll have to see how she feels about this in another year or so...

Just curious, what kind of volunteer work will Ms. Nords be doing?

Does she need any sideboys to come out TAD for her retirement ;)

Congratulations to Mrs./CDR/CAPT (?) Nords!

Hey that's awesome Nords! I lived in Hawaii for 5.5 years when I was a kid, and I think it's probably the best place in the world to retire!

Congrats to her - hope to be doing that soon - it's either Dec 09 or dec/Jan 11 - depends on what the AF Reserves does......:) If she's anything like my girlfriend, she'll find out that the leadership and organizational skills she has will be in big demand....she'll need to say no sometimes.

Outstanding! Congrats, heck you 2 are young enough.....maybe another kid? :D

:angel::angel::angel:

Glad to hear that Mrs Nords has seen the light. Does that mean she will be out surfing with you every day?

That's good news.

My DW did something similar. She planned to work 3-4 years after I retired (she is about 9 years younger than I am). Somewhere about the 10 month mark she asked if we were really FI. Upon my confirmation, she said life at work was no longer enjoyable and asked if she could RE. She then submitted her retirement notice and RE 2 months later.

Congratulations to you and Mrs. Nords! Hope you have many, many happy years of retirement ahead of you -- and if you think it's going to be different having her around the house all the time, wait until your daughter heads off to college!

Does this mean you'll be out surfing more? ;) I'm jealous! Congrats!
Nords, congratulations to your spouse and my sincere condolences to you for your decline in freedom and independence.
Not so? Just wait... :)
You guys nailed it! She'll figure it out; all of this Reserve time has been good practice for ER. She knows how to surf but she chooses not to-- she just doesn't see the point of all that exertion. But I love her anyway.

Just curious, what kind of volunteer work will Ms. Nords be doing?
It's the germinating Hawaii branch of a very small literacy foundation for military families. They do a good job but dealing with the military bureaucracy occasionally gets in the way of the mission. It'll be interesting to see if she gets treated differently when she's retired and no longer wearing a uniform.

Does she need any sideboys to come out TAD for her retirement ;)
Nah, she's going to just quietly fade away. The retirement request goes in, she calls a couple of shipmates, and maybe e-mails another half-dozen. We feel that the ceremony is more of a hassle (for us) and a burden (for the attendees) than it's worth.

Hey, I thought of you this morning when they towed the ex-USS TRIPOLI by White Plains Beach after its last missile test and started getting it ready for RIMPAC. Sorry about the sideboys but the offer of surfing lessons still stands!

Outstanding! Congrats, heck you 2 are young enough.....maybe another kid? :D :angel::angel::angel:
Well, I guess I'll leave that up to her. Of course she's going to have to find a willing participant who's actually fertile, too...

Congratulations to you and Mrs. Nords! Hope you have many, many happy years of retirement ahead of you -- and if you think it's going to be different having her around the house all the time, wait until your daughter heads off to college!
Less than 800 days! Unfortunately the pet bunny is only seven years old and disgustingly healthy, so we're going to have to hold off that Thailand trip until we're truly empty-nesters.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the pet bunny is only seven years old and disgustingly healthy, so we're going to have to hold off that Thailand trip until we're truly empty-nesters.

Hey, what about the worms?!?

2Cor521

P.S. - Congratulations!

Bravo zulu to Mrs. Nords. Hope you both enjoy your newly shared freedom.

Oh my, someone is not going to be surfing as much as they think! Err, I mean.... Congratulations to Mrs. Nords.

Well, now the collar is gonna tighten up a little! If I were in your flippers I'd do everything I could to make sure this volunteering gig works out well for her.

Congratulations to your whole family, and best of luck as you turn the page.

(sound of "bosun's pipe" as she departs the bridge . . .)

It'll be interesting to see if she gets treated differently when she's retired and no longer wearing a uniform.

Odds are VERY good she will be treated VERY differently!

Hey, I thought of you this morning when they towed the ex-USS TRIPOLI by White Plains Beach after its last missile test and started getting it ready for RIMPAC. Sorry about the sideboys but the offer of surfing lessons still stands!

Wish I had found this board in time for RIMPAC '06! Hopefully this year will be a safe and sane one for those involved! Your surfing lessons are still on "the LIST" :D

She faxed in her request yesterday, and in a stunning coincidence this turned up in my weekly e-mail:

Next Generation of Navy Uniform Arrives

The Navy responded, and commands are preparing to adopt the new uniforms in waves according to region. Reserve Sailors can expect to wear them later this year or early next year. The new Navy working uniform (NWU) replaces the utilities, wash khaki, coveralls, woodland green, aviation green, winter working blues and summer whites.
With a digital print pattern incorporating Navy blue, deck gray, haze gray and black, the NWU is a wash-and-wear 50/50 nylon and cotton blend. The majority of Sailors surveyed preferred a BDU-style uniform, one that doesn't show spots, stains or heavy wear like a solid color uniform and allows mending of small tears in fabric, saving money in replacement costs.

Even as the Navy introduces these changes, others are still on the drawing board. Last fall, selected officers and Sailors began limited wear testing of new service dress khaki for chiefs and officers and the new service dress blue and white jumpers for E-6 and below.
The service dress khaki uniform is in a traditional style, last worn during the Vietnam War era, while the E-6 and below service uniforms have hidden zippers and new piping for service dress white. The service dress blue will be for men only.
A Navy wind suit also is being considered to complement the new PT uniforms.

The total projected cost of Task Force Uniform is $433 million over a two-year outfitting period, spread over fiscal years 2008 and 2009.

Of course in a "tactical environment" (read "land combat zone", not "at sea") they'll still be wearing woodland/desert BDUs.

BDU envy has hit the Navy just as badly as it bit the Air Force, and coveralls/khakis are no longer "good enough". I'm sure REWahoo! will join me in simultaneously laughing and crying.

The military is never the same one you retired from. Most of the time that's a good thing but...

Congrats to Mrs. Nords! I hope that you two have a great time in your retirement. No schedules, no worries, just do what you want. Enjoy!

Cangratulations to you, (I think) and to Mrs. Nords. You are the model for all of us for FIRE....

Back
Top Bottom