Join Early Retirement Today
Air Force encourages retired pilots to volunteer for recalls
Old 02-07-2009, 03:56 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus
Air Force encourages retired pilots to volunteer for recalls

Air Force offers recall program for rated officers

The rapid expansion of unmanned aircraft systems and other emerging missions and rated officer requirements has created an Air Force demand for experienced, rated officers.
Pilots, navigators, and air battle managers who retired as a lieutenant colonel or below, and who are younger than 60, may apply for the program. Officers recalled under this program will be used in myriad positions including intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance, rated staff, and other rated requirements. Officers will be recalled for between 24 and 48 months depending upon the requirement.
I've never seen the Navy do this*, and if a retiree volunteer message went out to the submarine force then retired nukes would run away screaming in terror. Even active-duty nukes would get out for fear that things must be really bad to require bribing the old warhorses back on board. What's the reaction among you retired aviators?

*I know a retired Marine LCOL who volunteered to return to active duty for the second battle of Fallujah. He's an electrical engineer, and his job was to break the electrical grid at the start of the battle-- and then put it back together afterwards. Knowing him, he might still be on active duty.

The book written on, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2009, 04:22 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am too old for this one. However, if I were in my 50's and depending on what they had in mind for a job, I might think about it. Like we said before, best job, worse job, being an air force pilot. If they were flying jobs, and you did not have to put up with the extra duty, promotion, get ahead bull sh*t, then maybe. There is nothing like flying the latest equipment and someone else pay for it.

Now if the job is flying UAV's in the back of a van somewhere in the middle of no where, or base ops officer in Thule Greenland, or any of the other garden spots we keep people, NO THANKS!

Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:24 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
What's the reaction among you retired aviators?
I'm an ex rather than retired aviator, but my first impression is the USAF brass must be much more sensitive to truth-in-disclosure laws than I remember. Something is sure spurring them to be very candid in stating what these folks will be doing once back on active duty:

Officers recalled under this program will be used...
I did see this back in the early 1980's when the post-Vietnam mass exodus of rated officers left the AF with a serious shortage of experience level. So many with 5 to 10 years experience left for greener pastures the AF began re-recruiting them. (I moved so many times they couldn't find me - I missed my opportunity to laugh maniacally tell them no thank you.)
Numbers is hard.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:56 PM   #4
If things got so bad that the Navy was scraping the bottom of the barrel looking for my help, I would greatly fear for the safety of this country.
Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:24 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets
You won't see my back in uniform anytime soon because the Navy is having a "continuation board" this September for any Chief (E-7) to Master Chief (E-9) with over 20 years of service. In otherwords, alot of them will get their "pink slip" forcing them to retire in 9 months.
Boxkicker is offline   Reply With Quote