Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-09-2019, 10:59 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
To quote my DM again , you know you can literally take offence at almost anything someone says to you ..IF YOU WANT TO...
This happens with the wife of one of my BILs. She got pissed off with her husband's siblings, his parents (my wife's parents or my inlaws), and even her own parents and her siblings. It can be over anything.

I don't know what happens between her and one of her brothers, but we heard her saying how she hated her brother and wished he got run over by a bus!

Holy mackerel! Since that last tantrum, we keep our distance and try not to talk to her much about anything to avoid offending her, although we still see her from time to time.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2019, 11:06 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Or it could mean that the DIL can easily take offense and ruminates on stuff endlessly. This a common issue with depression/anxiety. You know what else? people with this issue can hear what they want to hear and not hear what you actually said. To quote my DM again , you know you can literally take offence at almost anything someone says to you ..IF YOU WANT TO...
Here's an example.

I told the story of the wife of my BIL. Her attitude now spreads to my BIL.

They bought a new car. The other BIL, his own brother, saw the car and asked "Was there something wrong with your old car?", and he got offended.

He told me, "Did they think I did not have money to buy another car, just because I wanted to? They thought we were so poor? I did not ask him for money, did I?"

I was flabbergasted. I knew the other BIL has the tendency to say dumb things, but I would not take offense so easily. I would just say "No, I just wanted a new car".

Another reason we try not to talk to them about much, because anything could be misinterpreted. There's little to gain from just making conversation.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 09-09-2019, 11:16 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

You aren’t the only one out there estranged from grandchildren due to DIL. My poor cousin and husband have suffered through this. Son is torn between parents and wife. DIL wants nothing to do with husbands parents. There have been marital problems. My cousin and husband are the sweetest couple I have known all my life and awesome parents and would-be grandparents. None of us relatives understand why DIL rejects them.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:27 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Glass half full vs half empty sometimes.
I try to stay full, even though I analyze lots of stuff.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:37 AM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankiesGirl View Post
If this was the straw that broke the camel's back then yes. I can't believe for one moment that they had a great relationship up until they bought the bike and then KABOOM. The fact that the DIL told them something about an incident years earlier means that for her, they've been doing stuff to her/against her for years and she finally lost it with them. If she had been hurt/disrespected repeatedly, that makes it a more likely scenario. ...
Yeah, I'm real curious about what the MIL said about the DIL at the wedding. DIL may be holding a grudge, but it might have been pretty awful, and it might never have been apologized for. We were just at a wedding where the bride's father made a "joke" about the groom during his toast that would be pretty unforgiveable (the bride was upset, the groom not so much).

Buying a six-year-old her first bike as a surprise to the whole family (and if they gave it to the grandchild in front of the parents so then the parents would be the bad guys if they had whatever reason they didn't want her to accept it)--obviously in the DS and DIL's eyes, that was not a good thing to do; worse things can and will happen, but a "We're sorry" might help.

My MIL was awesome (I was honored to do her eulogy at her funeral) and I take her life lessons and apply it to my own DIL. I know she bit her tongue with me several times. My parents died before we had kids so who knows the dynamics that might have been there, but my grandparents were loving and hands off as they lived far away, and nobody was giving anyone bicycles!
Old 09-09-2019, 11:43 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

This might be some kind of insecurity the DIL has that makes her think you are trying to take her role as "Parent" and further she might feel the Son's attachment to his parents is undermining her as a "wife". I don't think that makes her someone that is "mental" but it could be that she needs to sit down with a professional and work out these issues.

Of course that is one of many thoughts on why this issue has occurred. The best idea on this thread is the third party mediator.

Personally, I didn't want my kids Grandparents living near me nor did I want them "helping" financially. We talked about "big gifts" in advance more to be sure that we weren't already getting them or planning to. However I was clear with them on these things. They didn't necessarily like it but they didn't violate the boundaries. We all went over there very regularly so the kids could spend time with their Grandparents. They had many weekends with the Grandparents over the years. We didn't always agree on things but I would be hard pressed to take away visiting with their Grand-kids over things we could talk out.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:06 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Here's an example.

I told the story of the wife of my BIL. Her attitude now spreads to my BIL.

They bought a new car. The other BIL, his own brother, saw the car and asked "Was there something wrong with your old car?", and he got offended.

He told me, "Did they think I did not have money to buy another car, just because I wanted to? They thought we were so poor? I did not ask him for money, did I?"

I was flabbergasted. I knew the other BIL has the tendency to say dumb things, but I would not take offense so easily. I would just say "No, I just wanted a new car".

Another reason we try not to talk to them about much, because anything could be misinterpreted. There's little to gain from just making conversation.
I forgot to mention something.

The BIL who asked an innocent question that was interpreted as offensive is fairly well-to-do. I estimate his net worth at $5M to $6M. However, he does not care about cars and is also LBYM. He was asking the question about the car buying as he would see through his eyes.

The BIL who took offense is not rich, but doing OK now. He used to be poor, and for that reason still carries an inferiority complex.

Aye, aye, aye... Human relationship is something very complex. Maybe that's why I hang out on this forum instead of meeting people in real life. Less hassle this way, if I should offend someone.

Old 09-09-2019, 04:50 PM   #68
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There was nothing we could do to make our daughter in law like us. No one could understand why we were treated the way we were, until she suddenly left our son and grandson to have an independent lifestyle. Afterwards, our son told us that she was very difficult and it was why she was always changing jobs, because she appears charming, but is difficult. Two years later, she is actually nicer to us than before. So strange.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:01 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Truth is, there isn't much you can do as a grandparent except maybe write them out of your will. They hold the cards and you pretty much need to suck it up or be denied your grandkid.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:23 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
Seriously Give me a break. Robbing parents of buying a special purchase? Totally lame. The kid will learn to ride the bike from the parents. Sounds like the DIL has issues.
Yes, kids can use a lot more care and love than just a bike.

And with loving grandparents who are willing to spend some time with their grandchildren, the parents may be able to take some time off for themselves during a weekend for example.

It is to everyone's benefit to structure the relationship into a win-win situation, instead of an adversarial one.

I told earlier about the difficult wife of my BIL. My wife and I both agree that she likes to view herself as a victim. Whatever happens, she is the one that was treated unfairly, or taken advantage of. And she sees conflicts where most people don't see anything.

Very strange!

Old 09-09-2019, 06:55 PM   #71

You know, I thought about this thread today. It was Grandparent's Day at my granddaughter's Kindergarten and of course I went. Only about half of these little kids had grandparents that came. I looked around at those that didn't have grandparents present and some of these little kids looked sad. I know there are many reasons for this - grandparents are dead, grandparents live far away, grandparents had to work and even some grandparents who don't care enough. But to keep a loving grandparent away from a grandchild because of something they may have said 14 years ago or because they bought a bike without asking "permission" is just cruel and wrong for all parties. Unless the grandparent is endangering the child mentally/physically/emotionally, I cannot justify this.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Didn't read them all
Old 09-09-2019, 07:17 PM   #72
gone traveling

Didn't read them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukwildcat View Post
Not sure where to post this concern. Wife and I both 69 are retired. Retirement life is a dream except for one problem, grandchildren alientation. Son and daughter in law live 5 minutes from our house. Son encourgaed us to move close by so we could enjoy and help with the two granddaughters.Everything was good around Christmas 2018. We bought a bicycle for six year old grandaughter. Daughter in law was furious that we bought her a bicycle.

Had a meeting with son and daughter in law in April with wife and I. Daughter in law blasted my wife for supposedly something she said at wedding fourteen years ago and blasted us for buying six year old granddaughter.

No visitiation with grand kids since Christmas.
Do you all know of any support groups for alienated grandparents? I found a group,Alienated grandparents anyonymous, on the internet.

Any help or suggestions would be apprreciated.
Thanks!
I have been estranged from members of my family for 15+ years. I can assure you it wasn't over them buying a bike for the grand kid.

There often are deep routed issues when a child cuts off the parents. Personally in my situation is was to protect my kids from toxic behavior. In your case it might just be that your DIL is a crazy vindictive Bch. Either way it certainly isn't the bike purchase.
Luck_Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:09 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

In all likelihood, we will not have grandchildren. However, my sister does not live far away, nor does my niece, and we see our 3-year-old grandniece quite often.

Whenever she was brought to visit us, she would ask "Grand Uncle, can I chase you?"

We stumbled on a game, where I would tickle her, and she would tickle me back. Then, I would run away, and she chased me. It became a chasing game where we ran around my house, and I would slow down enough often for her to catch me.

It has become a routine game that she looked forward to on every visit. And we would roll on the floor laughing afterwards.

Her grandparents serve as babysitters, but we occasionally step in. We are her most favorite grand uncle and aunt.

Old 09-09-2019, 10:13 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
In all likelihood, we will not have grandchildren. However, my sister does not live far away, nor does my niece, and we see our 3-year-old grandniece quite often.

Whenever she was brought to visit us, she would ask "Grand Uncle, can I chase you?"

We stumbled on a game, where I would tickle her, and she would tickle me back. Then, I would run away, and she chased me. It became a chasing game where we ran around my house, and I would slow down enough often for her to catch me.

It has become a routine game that she looked forward to on every visit. And we would roll on the floor laughing afterwards.

Her grandparents serve as babysitters, but we occasionally step in. We are her most favorite grand uncle and aunt.
Whatever you do, don't buy her a bicycle.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:18 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

As she is the only child of that generation, and most likely remains so, we would have to stand in line to give her a bicycle.

Being her favorite grand uncle and aunt, our chance is a bit better, but still not good.

Old 09-09-2019, 10:47 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

There's a good French movie called Le Papillon (The Butterfly) (2002) about a lonely eight-year-old girl who befriends an initially reluctant old widower who lives next door.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:00 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Truth is, there isn't much you can do as a grandparent except maybe write them out of your will. They hold the cards and you pretty much need to suck it up or be denied your grandkid.

No grandkids for us so far, but we try treat our adults kids (and their current partners, who may be their spouses eventually) as the people who may be picking out our nursing home.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:28 PM   #78

Your son asked you to move close. Is he quietly crying out for help in a potentially abusive situation? I guess you'll find out in the counseling sessions. Definitely keep the lines of communication to him open. Abusers work to isolate their victims.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:27 AM   #79
Confused about dryer sheets

OP- I am glad your DS and DIL are seeking therapy. I suggest you do the same.

Speaking with a therapist will help because:

Either you have a family member who is struggling with a mental illness that will impact your relationship with your son and grandchildren for the rest of your life.

Or, you have completely mis-read your interactions with DIL and will benefit from some introspection about how you treat family.

No matter what the truth of the situation is, you are going through significant family upheaval and a professional will be able to help you identify the issues and navigate them. Reaching out for help on a forum is an excellent first step, but this is beyond the expertise of a bunch of internet strangers!
Friendish Friends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:51 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendish Friends View Post
OP- I am glad your DS and DIL are seeking therapy. I suggest you do the same.

Speaking with a therapist will help because:

Either you have a family member who is struggling with a mental illness that will impact your relationship with your son and grandchildren for the rest of your life.

Or, you have completely mis-read your interactions with DIL and will benefit from some introspection about how you treat family.

No matter what the truth of the situation is, you are going through significant family upheaval and a professional will be able to help you identify the issues and navigate them. Reaching out for help on a forum is an excellent first step, but this is beyond the expertise of a bunch of internet strangers!
Great comment FF and in your first example not only with it impact that relationship it will be a difficult life for the OP's son and grandchildren.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote