Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-08-2016, 06:20 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Think I'd rather take a chunk of the principal and get a nice 60 to 70 foot boat and moor it at a nice dock. Preferably within short distance walk to restaurants (who also deliver). When and if I wanted to move on to a new location, I rent a Captain. But that is just me...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2016, 06:50 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We have been on two cruises to Mexico. We would like to take the cruise to Alaska and cruise the rivers of Europe (and one or two other destinations) but no dinero for this.

Living on cruise ships would drive us both nuts. I understand why some folks jump overboard.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
...would be shallow and transient.
Shallow and Transient is the law firm I'm using to draw up my will.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:52 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARS View Post
Think I'd rather take a chunk of the principal and get a nice 60 to 70 foot boat and moor it at a nice dock. Preferably within short distance walk to restaurants (who also deliver). When and if I wanted to move on to a new location, I rent a Captain. But that is just me...

My BIL and sister had a 45 ft. sailboat.... I thought it was way too small... maybe a 60 is much better... also, if you buy a motorboat it is wider... but that is a fortune (and not a small one either)...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:18 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Here's a 60' trawler in Anacortes for $449K. Looks nice, but life onboard one of these is nothing like on a cruise ship. It takes constant maintenance, and money too!

2001 Compass Yachts Pilothouse Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Look at the engine room of one of these babies.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:52 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
and money too!
As the old saying goes......"A boat is a hole in the water, into which you pour money".

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:12 AM   #27

Quote:
Quote:
Here's a 60' trawler in Anacortes for $449K. Looks nice, but life onboard one of these is nothing like on a cruise ship. It takes constant maintenance, and money too!
The only thing a cruise ship and a personally owned boat have in common is water

Before you buy the boat, run a simulation.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
All at sea? Urban legend no more.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:47 AM   #28

All at sea? Urban legend no more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
My BIL and sister had a 45 ft. sailboat.... I thought it was way too small... maybe a 60 is much better... also, if you buy a motorboat it is wider... but that is a fortune (and not a small one either)...

Kind of partial to one of these...

http://www.privilege-marine.com/gale...=privilege_615

Old 03-09-2016, 08:49 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
The only thing a cruise ship and a personally owned boat have in common is water

Before you buy the boat, run a simulation.

With all due respect: you're just not thinking big enough (re: simulation article)!

Old 03-09-2016, 09:34 AM   #30

Before I retired I thought this might be fun. There were a couple of "condo cruise ships" at the time. As I recall the first one was "The World". You could get a nice suite (1200-1400sq ft) for about $2million. I think this would have been better than simply booking on a regular cruise ship as they catered to a more upscale clientele and the owners could influence the ship itinerary.

I have checked back a few times and it looks like it hasn't been a huge success. That is the price of resales don't appear to have appreciated. I think this might be because the costs to maintain your suite are high, the ship is getting old, and people are getting bored (or passing away). One advantage is that you could probably stop paying taxes as you would not be a resident of anywhere(US citizens excluded of course).
Seemed like a fun thing at the time but after retirement we bought vacation properties instead. Glad we did.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:16 PM   #31

Quote:
With all due respect: you're just not thinking big enough (re: simulation article)!
Yes, much of the simulation content presumes a smallish mono-hull. You can get comfortable on a 60 footer, but some of the simulation still applies, like hiking down the dock with the groceries, trash, laundry, etc. You could hire that stuff out if you had enough money, I suppose. You could only pull into expensive marinas where you'd have "full hookups" (I suppose), which would flatten the "utilities" problems, at least while you were not underway. But then you'd probably be paying a house payment worth of mooring fees.

I'd say a tiny house on land that matches the square footage of a 60 foot cat would be more than twice as easy to live in, so that suggests that the space is only one aspect.

Given all of that, I'd still like to give it a go. My preferences don't stand a chance against DW's aversion to the idea, though.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:39 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

The problem with this arrangement would be the same as with any tight-quarters condo, or old folks' community: it's the same darn people, day after day. If you love all the other people, then it would be fine. But when cliques form (and they are bound to), you cannot get away from them.

For the 88-year-old lady on the cruise ship, though, the neighbors change every couple of weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Before I retired I thought this might be fun. There were a couple of "condo cruise ships" at the time. As I recall the first one was "The World". You could get a nice suite (1200-1400sq ft) for about $2million. I think this would have been better than simply booking on a regular cruise ship as they catered to a more upscale clientele and the owners could influence the ship itinerary.

I have checked back a few times and it looks like it hasn't been a huge success. That is the price of resales don't appear to have appreciated. I think this might be because the costs to maintain your suite are high, the ship is getting old, and people are getting bored (or passing away). One advantage is that you could probably stop paying taxes as you would not be a resident of anywhere(US citizens excluded of course).
Seemed like a fun thing at the time but after retirement we bought vacation properties instead. Glad we did.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:26 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post

Given all of that, I'd still like to give it a go. My preferences don't stand a chance against DW's aversion to the idea, though.

We must be married to long lost sisters!

Old 03-09-2016, 05:16 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
As the old saying goes......"A boat is a hole in the water, into which you pour money".
Boat is an acronym for "Bust Out Another Thousand"
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:25 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

DH is finishing up a short delivery cruise up the coast with a friend. I told him not to get any notions about returning to boat ownership.

We lived aboard a 28 footer for a summer in the Bahamas. That simulator is spot on. That was the test trip for us and definitely proved it wasn't the lifestyle for us.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:57 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
The problem with this arrangement would be the same as with any tight-quarters condo, or old folks' community: it's the same darn people, day after day. If you love all the other people, then it would be fine. But when cliques form (and they are bound to), you cannot get away from them.

For the 88-year-old lady on the cruise ship, though, the neighbors change every couple of weeks.
Good point. In the overall scheme of things I think it would be better to take a 90-120 day round the world cruise. That would probably get it out of your system. On a deluxe ship with a large suite it might cost $150,000-200,000 though. Bit of a splurge but not totally out of the question for some.

Edit. Checked the price on a 2017 128 day around the world cruise for Regent Seven Seas (cruised several times on this line). A large suite around 700-800 Sq Ft will cost you $280,000 (air included and I should hope so). All the largest and smallest suites are sold out.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:20 PM   #37

As you think on this thread a bit, it highlights an additional aspect of retirement that has been discussed to death.

But anyway, this woman appears to have made a decision at 80 to spend some portion of her capital. Of course, it's possible her $170,000 pa outlay may only be a 2% draw, but I suspect it is considerably higher. So good for her, not where I would spend it, but I hope I'm sufficiently with it from 80'to 88 to figure out where I would!

Old 03-10-2016, 12:37 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Good point. In the overall scheme of things I think it would be better to take a 90-120 day round the world cruise. That would probably get it out of your system. On a deluxe ship with a large suite it might cost $150,000-200,000 though. Bit of a splurge but not totally out of the question for some.

Edit. Checked the price on a 2017 128 day around the world cruise for Regent Seven Seas (cruised several times on this line). A large suite around 700-800 Sq Ft will cost you $280,000 (air included and I should hope so). All the largest and smallest suites are sold out.
I checked on Crystal Serenity (the boat in question) and it would be $210k per person for the largest suite (1345 sq ft) for 94 days. The next level down is only 538 sq ft and it would be $100k per person. All prices in USD. I've been on this ship, it's very nice. But have never been on Regent so I can't give you a point of comparison. Luxury Cruise Line | Crystal Cruises
Spudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:38 PM   #39

Quote:
As you think on this thread a bit, it highlights an additional aspect of retirement that has been discussed to death.

But anyway, this woman appears to have made a decision at 80 to spend some portion of her capital. Of course, it's possible her $170,000 pa outlay may only be a 2% draw, but I suspect it is considerably higher. So good for her, not where I would spend it, but I hope I'm sufficiently with it from 80'to 88 to figure out where I would!

We met some people ( older single women) who were on an around the world cruise on one of our repo cruises. I noticed that the cruise ship staff would roll their eyes every time these women were around. One staff said to me "no where else to spend their money". They seemed to be a little tipsy well before lunch. Why not?
Old 03-10-2016, 12:48 PM   #40

Quote:

Per person? That is some serious coin for 128 days, especially if times two.