Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-01-2014, 06:53 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydude View Post
The ironic thing for me is that when I was younger, I didn't really "see" old people. But now that I'm getting older, I've started to notice them more and more.

Of course one day I'll be old too and become invisible to the younger generations.
I think that might be a universal human experience. I don't remember seeing old people when I was younger either but I do remember interacting with older people in my family and neighborhood when I was a child.
Letj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2014, 07:29 PM   #42

71 here, well almost, and I have slowed down! I first noticed it in my driving. I now drive 55 to 60 rather than 70 to 80. I take more time in stores, say hello to people I really don't know and spend one heck of a lot of time 'researching on the web'.

I have wondered lately if this is because I was 'getting old' or as some would say I am old. But I don't think it is because of age, it is because I have more time. I am not in a hurry to get somewhere. I don't need to rush home. I don't need to speed through shopping lines. I have time. Yes time, the one thing that is more precious than money, and I have slowed down to enjoy it.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
All the old people out during the day
Old 08-01-2014, 08:45 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Rustic23: I think you are right. To me, it's about patience. It affects everything I do, including shopping, talking, and playing.

A speeding ticket last month sort of cemented that. Slow and steady.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:48 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Almost 1 year into early retirement, and I haven't noticed the old people phenomenon. I'll admit to rarely going shopping at all. Most of my trips during the week are to friends' houses, the kids' school, parks, the library, museums, lakes, etc.

When I do go to the store during the week, stay at home moms seem to be over represented. Same thing at places that attract kids like parks and the library. The only place I see older people is bingo time at the community center. I'm there for the toddler's playgroup or dropping the kids off at summer camp (not for Senior Bingo!).
Old 08-02-2014, 04:32 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

We see lots of SAHMs with expensive SUVs at the gym, grocery store, and public daycare...er, I mean library.

There are lots of working people out during the day, however...those who build stuff, fix stuff, or mow lawns for the SAHMs and their cubicle-dweller husbands hidden away in their industrial parks.

Honestly, it is not a friendly area for elderly people at all. The traffic is way too fast, crowded and aggressive; the stores, restaurants, and community associations all cater to families. Most people I've known, seem to go straight to Florida or back to the Midwest when they retire. I'm not sure why, but this area draws very heavily from flyover country.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Almost 1 year into early retirement, and I haven't noticed the old people phenomenon. I'll admit to rarely going shopping at all. Most of my trips during the week are to friends' houses, the kids' school, parks, the library, museums, lakes, etc.

When I do go to the store during the week, stay at home moms seem to be over represented. Same thing at places that attract kids like parks and the library. The only place I see older people is bingo time at the community center. I'm there for the toddler's playgroup or dropping the kids off at summer camp (not for Senior Bingo!).
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:32 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Probably by the Board's definition, I am old in years. But no grass is growing under my feet.

I don't "mall shop, etc" but I can tell you where old people (mostly men) go in the morning, at least around this affluent area:

1. Fast food places: Old guys have small friend groups that meet at say, Burger King, around 8:00 am to get the cheap breakfast and lots of coffee. They sit and "chat" for a couple of hours. I stop with them occasionally.

2. Sams Club: I have been in the local Sams getting a prescription for DW and have met old folks who spend quite a bit of time in the store. Crazy to me.

3. Home Depot, Lowes: Old guys mill around looking at the latest tools they wish they could still use.

4. Some go to the golf course if they are still able and willing to play.

5. DW says that most of the older women take over the bathroom in the morning and then go to the beauty shop, and finally go to lunch. After all that, it's home for a nap!

aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:38 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Probably by the Board's definition, I am old in years. But no grass is growing under my feet.

I don't "mall shop, etc" but I can tell you where old people (mostly men) go in the morning, at least around this affluent area:

1. Fast food places: Old guys have small friend groups that meet at say, Burger King, around 8:00 am to get the cheap breakfast and lots of coffee. They sit and "chat" for a couple of hours. I stop with them occasionally.

2. Sams Club: I have been in the local Sams getting a prescription for DW and have met old folks who spend quite a bit of time in the store. Crazy to me.

3. Home Depot, Lowes: Old guys mill around looking at the latest tools they wish they could still use.

4. Some go to the golf course if they are still able and willing to play.

5. DW says that most of the older women take over the bathroom in the morning and then go to the beauty shop, and finally go to lunch. After all that, it's home for a nap!

Maybe you should move this to the FAQ section under the topic "What'll you DO all day when you get old."
Old 08-02-2014, 07:44 AM   #48

I used to back out of a parking space with scarcely a look. Now, you would think I had fallen asleep, I back up so slowly. Age certainly has something to do with it. That and the fact that in the metroplex there is always someone coming. I figure no one will remember how long it takes me to get out, but if I hit something or somebody, it will never be forgotten.

Sent from my AT100 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:15 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

One relatively common trait I've discovered in living in small towns that are disproportionately elderly: many of them will *not* travel after dark at all unless absolutely necessary. I suppose if it's because they no longer trust their eyesight to night driving, it's probably better for all concerned. Even I'm starting to avoid night driving as much as possible, and I won't even be 50 until late next year.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:41 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
... This is one of the major reasons why I don't recommend 30 & 40 somethings to retire. You either have to hang with old people (whom you secretly despise ) or must live a life of rarely running into your age group . At 52, I am kind of in-between but will hang with older folks when I RE. When you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Sorry Rob, you are not in between, you are old... I got a letter from AARP this week. I thought it was sent to the wrong address, but nope my name was on it. I turn 50 this month and if you get letters from AARP you are old. So if I am old, you are old.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:58 AM   #51
Administrator

One striking memory I have from Latin America is the absence of older folks in the cities. It's not that they don't live long, it's just the cities aren't designed for older people to go out. They aren't pedestrian friendly or easy to drive, seniors don't have the purchasing power found here (and in other developed countries) so shopping centers and retailers don't accommodate them. In restaurants they are often seen together with younger generation family members, but rarely alone.

I think it's a good thing to see old folks out and about, even if they do occasionally slow things down for the rest of us.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:42 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
One relatively common trait I've discovered in living in small towns that are disproportionately elderly: many of them will *not* travel after dark at all unless absolutely necessary. I suppose if it's because they no longer trust their eyesight to night driving, it's probably better for all concerned. Even I'm starting to avoid night driving as much as possible, and I won't even be 50 until late next year.
I turned 51 earlier this year and while I don't actively seek to avoid night driving (I drive little to begin with), I have recently become a little more uncomfortable driving at night under less than ideal conditions such as if it is raining or snowing or the rare time if I have been driving for a while already.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:18 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I was sitting on the front porch on a weekday with my recently retired Dad and I said "gee, must be nice to sit outside in shorts and a t-shirt instead of being at work". He said "you mean like the wife next door on either side, the guy across the street and the 2 next two him". None of them are retired yet they were all home on a weekday. It's shocking how many people aren't working during the day during the week. Still, I do all my shopping during the week after morning rush but before lunch when it's the least busy. I've done that my entire adult life. I've never worked a mon-fri job so i've always done my errands during the week and avoid all shopping on weekends.
I was also surprised how many 30 and 40 something's are out and about in my suburban neighborhood during the week. Must be a lot of people "working from home."
AnIntentionalRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:29 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post

I don't "mall shop, etc" but I can tell you where old people (mostly men) go in the morning, at least around this affluent area
Yes! I joined a walking and go to the mall (1st Colony). There are clusters of groups, some walk, some do Tai Chi, some just meet for coffee. McDonald's is open and the coffee is .75c for seniors. The group invited me to join the once a month Denny's breakfast. Actually this group is part of the town's senior program, there's also a senior center that offers activities.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:32 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
I turned 51 earlier this year and while I don't actively seek to avoid night driving (I drive little to begin with), I have recently become a little more uncomfortable driving at night under less than ideal conditions such as if it is raining or snowing or the rare time if I have been driving for a while already.
Not to mention that it can be a lot more unpleasant to drive in the dark and/or under poor weather conditions, so when you aren't on a schedule and it's easy to avoid, why not avoid it?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:33 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
Driving at night in rain can be even worse than driving in snow. There's so little visibility. Also, the days of driving all night are long past and i'm only 34. If I drive from Wisconsin to Florida I stop at a hotel twice instead of driving 24 straight hours.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:37 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnIntentionalRoad View Post
I was also surprised how many 30 and 40 something's are out and about in my suburban neighborhood during the week. Must be a lot of people "working from home."
I'm in that age range. I do contract work(of sorts) and only plan to work about 70 days per year so i'm home A LOT. There are lots of reasons people could be home during the day other than being unemployed.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:54 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Aaron - this sounds like a cool arrangement. I remember when you were job-hunting - sounds like things have worked out pretty well.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I'm in that age range. I do contract work(of sorts) and only plan to work about 70 days per year so i'm home A LOT. There are lots of reasons people could be home during the day other than being unemployed.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:13 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Aaron - this sounds like a cool arrangement. I remember when you were job-hunting - sounds like things have worked out pretty well.

Amethyst
It's debatable whether things have worked out well or not. No one should want to do what i'm doing for a living. I get a lot of time off but i'm only going to be making around $18K/yr. I never was able to find a "real" job. I only have a very small 6 figure net worth so making $18K/yr isn't going to lead to a very nice retirement. On the plus side, I may have a lot of years with very part time work(opposed to full time). Not many people are able or willing to stop full time work at age 31 like I did.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:33 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I am not in a hurry to get somewhere. I don't need to rush home. I don't need to speed through shopping lines. I have time. Yes time, the one thing that is more precious than money, and I have slowed down to enjoy it.
That's a good thought, thanks...

As a 40-something though, we still have children and places to go even if we're retired. Can you guys please not block the aisles in the grocery store?

Kabekew is offline   Reply With Quote