All the old people out during the day

Along with obesity age is the last remaining legal prejudice. And with Plus size models looking so luscious, soon it will the aged all alone giving others someone to throw off on.

Get at it people, before you too are old to enjoy it.

Ha

It's actually ok to go to places at the same time you did while you were working if it's too much of a culture shock to go other times. And yes, many of those people you see out during the day have jobs, just not 9-5 M-F.

What annoys me is all the school kids who get out at 1:30p or 2:00p. Just when I thought I could drive to the store with no traffic I encounter kids crossing the street and parents parked waiting to drive them home.

This is why Amethyst runs into all the old people at 7AM. :) They want to avoid that crowd.

I love shopping at 7AM, and I'm not old yet, in my mind. Great time to get out. You'll run into working people (especially at Home Depot or Lowes), but for the most part, it is all good.

You see, kids HATE the morning. Also, burn outs, druggies and thugs hate this time of day. A perfect time to shop.

I still w*rk, but frequently run my shopping errands at 7AM.

Actually our area, rural outside a metro area, is very quite during the week. We often go to a matinee to be the only two in the theater. I love doing stuff during the week, the weekends less appealing because of all the w*rking folks are out doing stuff. I'm 57 dont really see an increased number of SRs during the week. I guess it's regional.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I didn't understand their eerie similarity to one another. Besides men and women all being exactly the same ashy-gray color from head to toe, they were all about 5 feet 4 inches tall and built like little stout cookie jars. Even "shrinkage" due to age doesn't account for it. Maybe I was really seeing pod people, not old people.

Remember this is my memory from age 18, which was quite a while ago, and I am probably starting to shrink myself!

Amethyst

This is why Amethyst runs into all the old people at 7AM. :) They want to avoid that crowd.

Shop on Friday night is you really want to avoid the crowds at the grocery. Cuts the time almost in half.

There really seems to be a difference between East Coast and Iowa on the grocery shopping thing. In Iowa the grocery stores were PACKED on Fridays after work until about 9:00 PM. Here in northern VA, the stores are not too bad at all on Friday evenings. Not deserted as on weekday mornings, to be sure, but DW and I waited much to long to discover that grocery shopping was much easier after w*rk on Friday than on Saturday morning.

While I was working there was only one 11-year period in which I worked M-F day work. The rest were all various shift work jobs so I didn't notice anything unusual when I retired. Seemed normal to me.

Except now if I want to go to the grocery store I get there before noon and weekday or weekend is about the same. After noon on a weekend forget it.

"All the old people out during the day"

Well, at least we can be sure that they are not vampires, "stout cookie jars" that they look like. :LOL:

What annoys me is all the school kids who get out at 1:30p or 2:00p. Just when I thought I could drive to the store with no traffic I encounter kids crossing the street and parents parked waiting to drive them home.
The horror! Just run over the little crumb-snatchers. :D

Actually, I like them. They swarm into the YMCA while I am working out. I like to eavesdrop on their conversations. Gives me a different perspective.

Actually I've been surprised at how many younger people are out and about during day. I'm sure that many are students or they are people who work weekends and have a day off during the week or they work in the evenings or they work from home, etc. Still, it did surprise me.

As for the "old" people out and about, now that I'm 60 I realize that for years my estimations of age were way off. I always knew I wasn't good at guessing ages, but I had no idea how much I was off. Now, that I'm 60 and DH is 66, I realize that people I use to think were "old" and in their 60s were more likely to have been in late 70s/early 80s! I was easily overestimating age by a good 15 to 20 years!

I realize now that a lot of the people I thought were early 50s were actually mid to late 60s!

I cannot wait until I can go places at a time of my choosing rather than what is ok for my work schedule...

Bike rides on Friday mornings...workouts sometime other then lunch or after work when there are tons of people and you might not be able to get on the squat rack...completely avoiding costco on the weekends

Luxury!!

Actually I've been surprised at how many younger people are out and about during day. I'm sure that many are students or they are people who work weekends and have a day off during the week or they work in the evenings or they work from home, etc. Still, it did surprise me.

As for the "old" people out and about, now that I'm 60 I realize that for years my estimations of age were way off. I always knew I wasn't good at guessing ages, but I had no idea how much I was off. Now, that I'm 60 and DH is 66, I realize that people I use to think were "old" and in their 60s were more likely to have been in late 70s/early 80s! I was easily overestimating age by a good 15 to 20 years!

I realize now that a lot of the people I thought were early 50s were actually mid to late 60s!

+1 on both counts. I do enjoy the shops and parking lots being less crowded during the week, but I see more younger folks than older.

Never noticed it at all here in Dallas. I'm guessing that in a bigger city like Dallas, you see all kinds of people out at all times of the day.

Yep, wall to wall people almost 24/7 here. Makes you wonder if any body actually works anymore...

The ironic thing for me is that when I was younger, I didn't really "see" old people. But now that I'm getting older, I've started to notice them more and more.

Of course one day I'll be old too and become invisible to the younger generations.

I think that might be a universal human experience. I don't remember seeing old people when I was younger either but I do remember interacting with older people in my family and neighborhood when I was a child.

71 here, well almost, and I have slowed down! I first noticed it in my driving. I now drive 55 to 60 rather than 70 to 80. I take more time in stores, say hello to people I really don't know and spend one heck of a lot of time 'researching on the web'.

I have wondered lately if this is because I was 'getting old' or as some would say I am old. But I don't think it is because of age, it is because I have more time. I am not in a hurry to get somewhere. I don't need to rush home. I don't need to speed through shopping lines. I have time. Yes time, the one thing that is more precious than money, and I have slowed down to enjoy it.

Rustic23: I think you are right. To me, it's about patience. It affects everything I do, including shopping, talking, and playing.

A speeding ticket last month sort of cemented that. Slow and steady.

Last edited:
Almost 1 year into early retirement, and I haven't noticed the old people phenomenon. I'll admit to rarely going shopping at all. Most of my trips during the week are to friends' houses, the kids' school, parks, the library, museums, lakes, etc.

When I do go to the store during the week, stay at home moms seem to be over represented. Same thing at places that attract kids like parks and the library. The only place I see older people is bingo time at the community center. I'm there for the toddler's playgroup or dropping the kids off at summer camp (not for Senior Bingo!).

We see lots of SAHMs with expensive SUVs at the gym, grocery store, and public [-]daycare[/-]...er, I mean library.

There are lots of working people out during the day, however...those who build stuff, fix stuff, or mow lawns for the SAHMs and their cubicle-dweller husbands hidden away in their industrial parks.

Honestly, it is not a friendly area for elderly people at all. The traffic is way too fast, crowded and aggressive; the stores, restaurants, and community associations all cater to families. Most people I've known, seem to go straight to Florida or back to the Midwest when they retire. I'm not sure why, but this area draws very heavily from flyover country.

Amethyst

Almost 1 year into early retirement, and I haven't noticed the old people phenomenon. I'll admit to rarely going shopping at all. Most of my trips during the week are to friends' houses, the kids' school, parks, the library, museums, lakes, etc.

When I do go to the store during the week, stay at home moms seem to be over represented. Same thing at places that attract kids like parks and the library. The only place I see older people is bingo time at the community center. I'm there for the toddler's playgroup or dropping the kids off at summer camp (not for Senior Bingo!).

Probably by the Board's definition, I am old in years. But no grass is growing under my feet.

I don't "mall shop, etc" but I can tell you where old people (mostly men) go in the morning, at least around this affluent area:

1. Fast food places: Old guys have small friend groups that meet at say, Burger King, around 8:00 am to get the cheap breakfast and lots of coffee. They sit and "chat" for a couple of hours. I stop with them occasionally.

2. Sams Club: I have been in the local Sams getting a prescription for DW and have met old folks who spend quite a bit of time in the store. Crazy to me.

3. Home Depot, Lowes: Old guys mill around looking at the latest tools they wish they could still use.

4. Some go to the golf course if they are still able and willing to play.

5. DW says that most of the older women take over the bathroom in the morning and then go to the beauty shop, and finally go to lunch. After all that, it's home for a nap!;)

:)

Probably by the Board's definition, I am old in years. But no grass is growing under my feet.

I don't "mall shop, etc" but I can tell you where old people (mostly men) go in the morning, at least around this affluent area:

1. Fast food places: Old guys have small friend groups that meet at say, Burger King, around 8:00 am to get the cheap breakfast and lots of coffee. They sit and "chat" for a couple of hours. I stop with them occasionally.

2. Sams Club: I have been in the local Sams getting a prescription for DW and have met old folks who spend quite a bit of time in the store. Crazy to me.

3. Home Depot, Lowes: Old guys mill around looking at the latest tools they wish they could still use.

4. Some go to the golf course if they are still able and willing to play.

5. DW says that most of the older women take over the bathroom in the morning and then go to the beauty shop, and finally go to lunch. After all that, it's home for a nap!;)

:)

Maybe you should move this to the FAQ section under the topic "What'll you DO all day when you get old." :D

I used to back out of a parking space with scarcely a look. Now, you would think I had fallen asleep, I back up so slowly. Age certainly has something to do with it. That and the fact that in the metroplex there is always someone coming. I figure no one will remember how long it takes me to get out, but if I hit something or somebody, it will never be forgotten.

Sent from my AT100 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

One relatively common trait I've discovered in living in small towns that are disproportionately elderly: many of them will *not* travel after dark at all unless absolutely necessary. I suppose if it's because they no longer trust their eyesight to night driving, it's probably better for all concerned. Even I'm starting to avoid night driving as much as possible, and I won't even be 50 until late next year.

:D ... This is one of the major reasons why I don't recommend 30 & 40 somethings to retire. You either have to hang with old people (whom you secretly despise ;)) or must live a life of rarely running into your age group :facepalm:. At 52, I am kind of in-between but will hang with older folks when I RE. When you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Sorry Rob, you are not in between, you are old... I got a letter from AARP this week. I thought it was sent to the wrong address, but nope my name was on it. I turn 50 this month and if you get letters from AARP you are old. So if I am old, you are old. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom