Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-02-2014, 11:09 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I know tons of people that are 30-something and are out and about during the day. Most still work full time or close to it, many earning $100k+ salaries.

One neighbor is a programmer and works from home for a silicon valley firm, and I see him out late into the morning and sometimes in the afternoon going out for a jog. He's able to volunteer at our kid's school whenever he wants (my kid is a classmate of his kid). I think he's full time, but very flexible.

Another friend in the neighborhood works from 10 to 7 pm at a firm on the edge of the neighborhood. So he's free in the mornings, and normally takes a late lunch around 2-3 pm so he's out walking to/from school to get his kid many days of the week. His commute is about 1-2 minutes (maybe 3 if he bikes) so popping home for lunch is no problem.

Another friend with six figure income works 12 hour rotating shifts and is off for 3 to 6 days at a time, so we'll hang out at my house in the middle of the week (when his wife is working). He's also not working during the day half the time (works at night often), so he probably goes grocery shopping and runs errands during the week in the middle of the day after a shift.

That same friend's wife (attorney, six figure income) works Monday through Thursday (officially) at an 80% schedule and takes Friday off (when she can).

Another friend working in the pharma factory doing QA/QC (biochem stuff) works Sun-Thurs and is off Fri and Saturday. We hang out occasionally on Fridays with him, his wife and kids and my kids.

Another friend in the neighborhood is law enforcement and rotates day shift and night shift. So he's free during the weekdays all day half of the time.

Another friend in the neighborhood works from home most of the time doing TV station stuff (graphics, coordination, programming).

Another friend in the neighborhood does shift work at the grocery store and is home during the week half of the time.

Many other friends/neighbors work from home or "work from home" (artists, musicians, architects, landlords) and are out and about during the day.

All of these people (save the 50-something year old architect) are 30- and 40-somethings.

Come to think of it, I don't really know that many people that have straight 9 to 5 type jobs (other than former coworkers when I worked at a 9 to 5 job). They obviously exist (see, for example, rush hours that occur every day around 7-8 am and again 5-6 pm). I may have also self-selected myself into friendships with non-traditional people.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2014, 11:14 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Still, old folks (now including me per Mulligan ) vastly outnumber 30 & 40 somethings during weekday daytime even in Bay Area.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:24 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Still, old folks (now including me per Mulligan ) vastly outnumber 30 & 40 somethings during weekday daytime even in Bay Area.
I'm going to have to bring my smartphone with data collection app and do a scientific inventory of young vs old people I see out and about during weekday daytime.

Can it be possible that I'm completely ignoring my elders? Maybe once they hit 60 and switch from walking to walkers, they aren't out as much?
Old 08-03-2014, 12:09 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I'm going to have to bring my smartphone with data collection app and do a scientific inventory of young vs old people I see out and about during weekday daytime.

Can it be possible that I'm completely ignoring my elders? Maybe once they hit 60 and switch from walking to walkers, they aren't out as much?
You know those 60, 70 somethings look like 40 & 50 somethings with better taking care of their bodies, cosmetic surgeries, dying their hair, .... Just look for those without smartphones .
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:43 AM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Why not get out just before the sun comes up and take your inventory when us old farts are running our 5 miles before breakfast?
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:45 PM   #66
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Why not get out just before the sun comes up and take your inventory when us old farts are running our 5 miles before breakfast?

+1
jimbo14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:02 AM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43 View Post
I used to back out of a parking space with scarcely a look. Now, you would think I had fallen asleep, I back up so slowly. Age certainly has something to do with it. That and the fact that in the metroplex there is always someone coming. I figure no one will remember how long it takes me to get out, but if I hit something or somebody, it will never be forgotten.
I was just noticing that same thing about myself. I chalk it up to relying more on rear/side view mirrors than actually twisting around and looking back - too creaky. Might have to install a back-up beeper in my station wagon!
Old 08-04-2014, 08:34 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabekew View Post
That's a good thought, thanks...

As a 40-something though, we still have children and places to go even if we're retired. Can you guys please not block the aisles in the grocery store?

While I do run into senior citizens in the grocery store the aisle are far more likely to be blocked by a mother and three kids or a cart with a car attached to the front that is crossway in the aisle.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:23 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
What annoys me is all the school kids who get out at 1:30p or 2:00p. Just when I thought I could drive to the store with no traffic I encounter kids crossing the street and parents parked waiting to drive them home.
In my area, the traffic disappears at 9AM, and reappears at 2:30, when school gets out. I love riding my bike through deserted residential areas between those hours. The only thing to watch out for is the lawn care vehicles, who seem to hold bicyclists in low regard.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:47 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Sorry Rob, you are not in between, you are old... I got a letter from AARP this week. I thought it was sent to the wrong address, but nope my name was on it. I turn 50 this month and if you get letters from AARP you are old. So if I am old, you are old.
Well, I started getting AARP solicitations when I was around 18. My mom died when I was 15, so I'm guessing that because I was getting her social security benefits, I was on a "list" somewhere.

The upside is that 2 years ago when I actually became AARP eligible and the mailings increased, I didn't feel quite the trauma that others might if it was their first
ChicagoGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:49 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Screw that! I'm just getting comfortably to sleep a few hours before the sun comes up. If it's still dark when I awake, I've done something wrong (like booked an early flight).
Old 08-04-2014, 01:35 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

It might even be fun to talk to some of them and learn about the young person who still lives inside that scary old exterior. Since there are so many old people where you go, there are bound to be a few outliers who can discuss something more exciting than grandkids and ailments

Amethyst

Quote:
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:15 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I didn't understand their eerie similarity to one another. Besides men and women all being exactly the same ashy-gray color from head to toe, they were all about 5 feet 4 inches tall and built like little stout cookie jars. Even "shrinkage" due to age doesn't account for it. Maybe I was really seeing pod people, not old people....
Quote:
... inside that scary old exterior...
I often say here that if I last till 70, that's already more than I expect.

But if I live longer, it means more chance for me to become one of those "scary little stout cookie jars". What a thing to look forward to!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:34 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

I am looking forward to this phenomenon, if it is true, because I prefer the presence of "old people" to those of my own age. To be honest I find my similarly aged peers to be insufferable.
Sea Kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:42 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Well, I fully intend to become as scary as possible, in hopes muggers will leave me alone! Hey, maybe that's why we become "invisible" with age...it's not invisibility; it's camouflage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I often say here that if I last till 70, that's already more than I expect.

But if I live longer, it means more chance for me to become one of those "scary little stout cookie jars". What a thing to look forward to!
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:47 PM   #76

Quote:
It might even be fun to talk to some of them and learn about the young person who still lives inside that scary old exterior.
Saw this T-shirt a while back and will buy it when I qualify to wear it:

"Inside every 80-year-old is an 18-year-old wondering what the hell happened"
Old 08-04-2014, 05:00 PM   #77
Gone but not forgotten

Gettin' closer to 80... Don't see much difference.

OMG.. maybe I need new glasses!
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:18 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

I would call that a Lifetime Achievement.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:22 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

I still have a couple of years till 60, and already reminisce about my younger years. I do not regret anything, and just feel that life is too short. But don't we all?

I am aiming to enjoy more of what I have left.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:55 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I know tons of people that are 30-something and are out and about during the day. Most still work full time or close to it, many earning $100k+ salaries.

One neighbor is a programmer and works from home for a silicon valley firm, and I see him out late into the morning and sometimes in the afternoon going out for a jog. He's able to volunteer at our kid's school whenever he wants (my kid is a classmate of his kid). I think he's full time, but very flexible.

Another friend in the neighborhood works from 10 to 7 pm at a firm on the edge of the neighborhood. So he's free in the mornings, and normally takes a late lunch around 2-3 pm so he's out walking to/from school to get his kid many days of the week. His commute is about 1-2 minutes (maybe 3 if he bikes) so popping home for lunch is no problem.

Another friend with six figure income works 12 hour rotating shifts and is off for 3 to 6 days at a time, so we'll hang out at my house in the middle of the week (when his wife is working). He's also not working during the day half the time (works at night often), so he probably goes grocery shopping and runs errands during the week in the middle of the day after a shift.

That same friend's wife (attorney, six figure income) works Monday through Thursday (officially) at an 80% schedule and takes Friday off (when she can).

Another friend working in the pharma factory doing QA/QC (biochem stuff) works Sun-Thurs and is off Fri and Saturday. We hang out occasionally on Fridays with him, his wife and kids and my kids.

Another friend in the neighborhood is law enforcement and rotates day shift and night shift. So he's free during the weekdays all day half of the time.

Another friend in the neighborhood works from home most of the time doing TV station stuff (graphics, coordination, programming).

Another friend in the neighborhood does shift work at the grocery store and is home during the week half of the time.

Many other friends/neighbors work from home or "work from home" (artists, musicians, architects, landlords) and are out and about during the day.

All of these people (save the 50-something year old architect) are 30- and 40-somethings.

Come to think of it, I don't really know that many people that have straight 9 to 5 type jobs (other than former coworkers when I worked at a 9 to 5 job). They obviously exist (see, for example, rush hours that occur every day around 7-8 am and again 5-6 pm). I may have also self-selected myself into friendships with non-traditional people.

Same here. Many friends are self employed, work at home, work in sales or do random contract work from home. It's nice that we can all hang out during the weekdays and we are all in our 30's-40's.
outdoorgirl02 is offline   Reply With Quote