Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-21-2015, 09:48 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by clobber View Post
Why don't we have that yet

I think that's why I started this thread. That list would be the widely known options and I was looking for any lesser known alternatives. I guess there is not a service like that. I could see paying $X/year to have something like that in the U.S.A. Live in Nevada a year, then California....oops want to stay for 2 years in California...no big deal. No rent contracts to worry about. Kinda like a time share on steroids I guess. And no, timeshares are not on my list either.

You are starting to sound like a salesman for them....

Nothing that most people do seems to be what you like... but you have a different way that seems 'better'.... and hawking some new way of living and asking in a sly way if we have heard of it.... and you are only 9 post in (and all on this thread)....


BTW, went to look and there is ZERO info on price.... so I am out of here....
__________________

__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2015, 09:50 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.
Sojourner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 732
Based on everything posted here, I would say Airbnb is your best bet. Mix in some VRBO if you're not finding exactly what you want in a certain area. I've used both numerous times and have been pretty pleased overall. I think as I get more into full-time retirement, I'll be doing a lot of roaming and will rely pretty heavily on Airbnb.
__________________

__________________
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:17 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
You are starting to sound like a salesman for them....

Nothing that most people do seems to be what you like... but you have a different way that seems 'better'.... and hawking some new way of living and asking in a sly way if we have heard of it.... and you are only 9 post in (and all on this thread)....


BTW, went to look and there is ZERO info on price.... so I am out of here....
I can understand that. I did just sign up after reading the forums for a few weeks. All I can say, is nope not a salesman for them and I'll go delete that name out of the post.

Edit: except it looks like I can't
__________________
clobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:37 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ivinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by clobber View Post
I have started looking at VRBO and Airbnb. Thanks
That's a good start I have never used Airbnb, on VRBO unless you are staying somewhere at peak time, expect to get a reduction even on the monthly rate. Sometimes you can get the monthly price per night on a 2 or 3 week rental. Many areas, if you stay for 30 days no lodging tax will be added to your rental.

St George Utah is a particularly good place to get discounts as there is a big oversupply of rentals. Just keep emailing owners until you get one ready to deal.
__________________
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:38 AM   #25
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by clobber View Post
I can understand that. I did just sign up after reading the forums for a few weeks. All I can say, is nope not a salesman for them and I'll go delete that name out of the post.

Edit: except it looks like I can't
That's ok, I'll take care of it.
__________________
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:45 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
redduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: yonder
Posts: 2,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Don't want to stay where you are - check.
Don't want to RV - check.
Don't want to camp -check
Don't want to spend for hotels - check.
Don't want to cruise -check.
Don't want to rent - check.

Have you considered teleportaion?
Have you considered committing crimes around the country that have six-to-twelve month jail sentences?
__________________
Carpe cōleī
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:33 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,401
Sleeping on sidewalks?

That's no camping, as most people will tell you.

Hammock strung between two trees? Well, that's like camping, I guess.
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:54 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 72
You mentioned the concern of picking the wrong place to settle down. Is it that? Or is it that you're afraid you'll get bored of one location after a period of time?

DW and I are concerned about the former. So for the first 5-6 years after we retire, we plan to road-trip around the country. Back roads, national parks, whatever floats our boat at the time. Spend a week somewhere. Check out the grocery stores. Check out the local library. Get to know the town more than as just a typical tourist. Call it a location interview, if you will. We figure after that either we'll have found the perfect location, or we'll be so sick of each other it won't matter.
__________________
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:56 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
You mentioned the concern of picking the wrong place to settle down. Is it that? Or is it that you're afraid you'll get bored of one location after a period of time?
I guess it is both maybe?

I think what DW and I like to do is explore. But, that covers many things including hikes, scenery, restaurants, stores, shows, skiing etc. Having lived in many locations, each tends to get somewhat routine after a few years. The explore factor is completed.

Many of my friends had this "ahh ha" moment where they visited a place and fell in love with it, so retired there. Everywhere from New Hampshire, to Colorado, to Texas. I have yet to have that moment.
__________________
clobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:00 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by clobber View Post
I think what DW and I like to do is explore. But, that covers many things including hikes, scenery, restaurants, stores, shows, skiing etc. Having lived in many locations, each tends to get somewhat routine after a few years. The explore factor is completed.
Even though you've repeatedly said you aren't interested, your posts continue to point to the perfect solution: RVing.

Have you really explored all the varied RV options out there? Some are very upscale...
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:05 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Have you considered committing crimes around the country that have six-to-twelve month jail sentences?
I think one of my first posts on this forum was about laws that you felt needed to be broken...
__________________
ArkTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:10 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: seattle
Posts: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by clobber View Post

I have yet to have that moment.
Think about what got close to that in the past and focus on that. Then ask if it will last until your physical abilities won't stand it. You have to self examine and be honest about what gets the neurons going.

The inability of one location to constantly stimulate for long periods is one thing that makes people ramble. You can also get pretty good at amusing yourself in a way that is not location dependent.
__________________
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:17 PM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ivinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,198
I can't figure out from these posts if you intend to have a "home base" and travel or if you won't have a regular address. If you plan on keeping a home, the rental by owner lifestyle is just what you are looking for. If you don't have a permanent address, then it might be the RV lifestyle....Even renting a place for a year at a time and then relocating involves moving things and restocking every apartment. That's not my idea of a good time!
__________________
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:20 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by clobber View Post
Many of my friends had this "ahh ha" moment where they visited a place and fell in love with it, so retired there. Everywhere from New Hampshire, to Colorado, to Texas. I have yet to have that moment.
In Texas, we have "yee haw" moments...
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:40 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Even though you've repeatedly said you aren't interested, your posts continue to point to the perfect solution: RVing.

Have you really explored all the varied RV options out there? Some are very upscale...
Good point...and I agree.

It is more the lifestyle. I know there are very nice RVs and that would be great. But where do you park the thing for a week? A month? Whatever. Are there upscale RV parks where you get an acre to yourself? The typical tightly packed ones that I see are not what I'm looking for.

Where do you do laundry? I dont want to be in a laundromat.
__________________
clobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:45 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I can't figure out from these posts if you intend to have a "home base" and travel or if you won't have a regular address. If you plan on keeping a home, the rental by owner lifestyle is just what you are looking for. If you don't have a permanent address, then it might be the RV lifestyle....Even renting a place for a year at a time and then relocating involves moving things and restocking every apartment. That's not my idea of a good time!
You can't figure it out because neither can I. That has been my point. And you're right, the typical relocating and restocking is not ideal.

Was kind of hoping there was a service that would let you relocate from furnished place to furnished place. Somewhat stocked place to stocked place.
__________________
clobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:52 PM   #37
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ivinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by clobber View Post
You can't figure it out because neither can I. That has been my point. And you're right, the typical relocating and restocking is not ideal.

Was kind of hoping there was a service that would let you relocate from furnished place to furnished place. Somewhat stocked place to stocked place.
That service would be VRBO or other options like that....our rentals start with TP in the bathroom and paper towels in the kitchen. take your suitcase and your personal electronics and you are good to go...
__________________
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:59 PM   #38
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Utrecht
Posts: 2,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by clobber View Post
I prefer mild summers and no winter.....have yet to find that.
Snowbirding far north & far south, or high altitude near the equator are your best options for that.
__________________
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:12 PM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by clobber View Post
It is more the lifestyle. I know there are very nice RVs and that would be great. But where do you park the thing for a week? A month? Whatever. Are there upscale RV parks where you get an acre to yourself? The typical tightly packed ones that I see are not what I'm looking for.

Where do you do laundry? I dont want to be in a laundromat.
You've got some preconceived ideas about RVing that can be cured by doing a little research.

While I know of no commercial parks offering a spot surrounded by an acre of land, all are not the closely-packed "sardine" variety.

The best place to park an RV is in one of the thousands of RV sites located in a state, national or Corps of Engineers park. By far the nicest scenery and generally a lot of elbow room but usually limited to stays of two weeks so you'd have to stay on the move and do some planning ahead.

Upscale RV's (motor homes and 5th wheel trailers) have washers and dryers.

I'll give this topic a rest. It appears to me you are seeking a unicorn-powered perpetual motion machine. Let us know if you find one...
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:17 PM   #40
Moderator
Sarah in SC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 13,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
It appears to me you are seeking a unicorn-powered perpetual motion machine. Let us know if you find one...
Hey, I want one of those, too! Fortunately, my standards are very low, so a donkey on a string would probably suffice.
__________________

__________________
“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alternatives to indexing (alternatives to cap weighted indexing) jIMOh FIRE and Money 7 08-31-2010 09:52 PM
Alternatives to pension survivor benefit? madsquopper FIRE and Money 4 12-05-2006 11:22 AM
Alternatives Lagniappe Hi, I am... 28 06-19-2006 08:52 AM
Is ER more about economics or about getting past social norms and personal fears BearlyWorking FIRE and Money 26 12-18-2005 07:08 PM
Alternatives to Quicken TromboneAl FIRE and Money 17 07-15-2005 10:22 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:34 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.