Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-21-2015, 02:40 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

We lived full-time in our RV. It was a 45' Newell and yes had a full-size fridge and apartment size washer/dryer. It was very comfortable but even though we did stay at a variety of different RV parks from state/federal to upscale resorts we found that it was too "busy" and close for our likes. We would typically stay a month at each place. The worst was being in a nice area like Colorado and enjoying the clear air when your neighbor decides to fire up the BBQ or fire pit and then having to close up and turn on your A/C so you don't end up living in a smokehouse. And in most RV parks your patio looks right at your neighbors sewer connection. Doesn't matter if you're 10' or 50' away.
So we sold the RV and are in our 3rd month this year with monthly rentals from VRBO. One more month and it'll be cool enough to return home.
We like the monthly rentals. We have the privacy we like. And can do what we want when we want. Looks like this way of traveling will be less expensive than the RV.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2015, 02:42 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Curious - how much did the monthly rental thing cost you?

Have no clue.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:42 PM   #43

Looks like the OP needs to do a little more serious thinking and some online research to narrow down his options....they always say "the devil is in the details".... Not many options are 100% perfect! Compromise is pretty much a fact of life.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:20 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Short- or long-term housesitting?

I have never done this, and have no interest in doing it myself (I love my own bed every night!) but I think there are some folks who make a "career" out of doing this.

Perhaps investigate opportunities in college towns? University listserves? Craigslist? I know my aunt and uncle who were college professors took sabbaticals every few years, for 6-9 months at a time. One of the big hassles for them was finding responsible housesitters to stay in their house for the duration. Oftentimes a visiting professor, or a graduate student, or exchange students would fill the bill. They got a free place to stay, and my relatives knew the house was occupied and looked after. The housesitters didn't have to do maintenance on the property - at the most they might have to call a pre-arranged repair service, or a local relative (yup - that would be ME!) if something needed attention.

There may be other industries in which people take sabbaticals, but I am most familiar with the academic/college environment, since my extended family is heavily weighted in that profession.

Some housesitting gigs might also include petsitting, I suppose.

Just some thoughts, since it would give you a chance to try out different locations without having to commit to a lease, etc.

Edited to add: a quick search on "housesitting in the US" turned up a "matchmaking" service for housesitters: House Sitting Made Easy: TrustedHousesitters.com. Apparently you can join, create a profile, and be matched with housesitting opportunities.

I don't know anything about them; just providing the info as a starting point if it interests you. Good luck!
Old 07-21-2015, 04:24 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by clobber View Post
I like lots of things, dedicated to nothing.

I've been a life long golfer. For the first 10-15 years of retirement I see that as being critical to life. After that, skills deteriorate too much and I wont need it. I also enjoy learning and teaching so will be looking at universities and MOOC etc. I hate the cold (unless there is skiing), but do like summers in the Northern U.S. much better than the South. The food in southern Louisiana Cajun country is much much much (did I say much?) better than any other place in the world. Sorry world, I have been there and it is true. I prefer mild summers and no winter.....have yet to find that. I really enjoy going to baseball games. Would probably gravitate to the minor leagues.

Lots of possibilities with many conflicting desires.
Homer from Seattle here. We really don't have *winter" anymore. It might have snowed back in 2013 and melted by lunch.

What you hear about the rain is partially true but we are middle of the pack rainfall wise. Summers have been fantastic with NO humidity.

We have a MLB and a great NFL team. MLB is DT SEA. Minor league AAA is just 30 miles south. Biggest drawback is we are getting discovered and our transportation system is pretty congested (4th worst in U.S.). Having said that, if you're retired that doesn't matter much does it. Ha!
Old 07-21-2015, 04:41 PM   #46

I have used Trusted Housesitters in the past to find pet sitters with excellent results. You have to build up a pretty good "resume" and have good references to get the best gigs.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:47 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

I'll give this topic a rest. It appears to me you are seeking a unicorn-powered perpetual motion machine. Let us know if you find one...
I don't disagree. Just asking for options I've never thought about.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:52 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
We lived full-time in our RV. It was a 45' Newell and yes had a full-size fridge and apartment size washer/dryer. It was very comfortable but even though we did stay at a variety of different RV parks from state/federal to upscale resorts we found that it was too "busy" and close for our likes. We would typically stay a month at each place. The worst was being in a nice area like Colorado and enjoying the clear air when your neighbor decides to fire up the BBQ or fire pit and then having to close up and turn on your A/C so you don't end up living in a smokehouse. And in most RV parks your patio looks right at your neighbors sewer connection. Doesn't matter if you're 10' or 50' away.
So we sold the RV and are in our 3rd month this year with monthly rentals from VRBO. One more month and it'll be cool enough to return home.
We like the monthly rentals. We have the privacy we like. And can do what we want when we want. Looks like this way of traveling will be less expensive than the RV.
Very interesting. Thanks for the info. Did you always have a "home" to return to and now have just switched the away months from RV to VRBO?
Old 07-21-2015, 08:48 PM   #49

Quote:
I don't disagree. Just asking for options I've never thought about.
Have you considered moving to the Woodlands and living in an RV?
Old 07-21-2015, 09:51 PM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps become a wing-walker or flagpole sitter? Next summer you could run with the bulls in Pamplona. Or how about this? Cross the Darien Gap in a Folbot. Train an alligator!

None of these are yet ruined by over saturation!

Ha
Old 07-22-2015, 08:34 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

We did keep the home for a couple years while traveling for a few months at a time but once it sold we travelled for 2 years with no home. We did have a "home base" at my wife's family property farm where we'd spend the winters. We recently bought our new home and sold the RV. We thought about buying a cabin in the mountains but it makes more sense to rent. That really opens up the entire world to us.
The rentals for this summer will average about $1800/month. There are discounts out there you just need to send out a bunch of inquiries. We usually look for 2-3 bedroom house/cabins.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:29 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

One thing I'm considering is picking 6-8 areas in the US that I want to explore as potential post-FIRE locations, then using airbnb to stay in each one for 6-8 weeks, perhaps while renting out my own house for a year.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:56 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeonFI View Post
One thing I'm considering is picking 6-8 areas in the US that I want to explore as potential post-FIRE locations, then using airbnb to stay in each one for 6-8 weeks, perhaps while renting out my own house for a year.
I like this idea.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:00 PM   #54
Administrator

You know, clobber, there is no reason why you HAVE to go anywhere at all in retirement. Why not just play it by ear? If/when some option sounds appealing to you in retirement, go do it. If nothing does, then just stay put.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 06:02 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree with W2R. Sometimes no action is the the best choice until something comes along that sparks your interest. Perhaps if money is not the issue you might want to look into National Geographic Expeditions. That will be more about experiences without moving from the base residence.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:54 AM   #56

House swapping? No experience, just an idea.

You could settle into a condo or small house in a touristy location that would be attractive to potential swapping partners. Specify that any potential match is more attractive to you if the partner city's baseball team is on a homestand during the swap week.

On paper, at least, the cost would be lower than spending time paying for out-of-town accommodations while maintaining an empty home with its own cash flow requirements.

Google "house swap" and you'll find several matchmaking sites.
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:03 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerytura View Post
I agree with W2R. Sometimes no action is the the best choice until something comes along that sparks your interest. Perhaps if money is not the issue you might want to look into National Geographic Expeditions. That will be more about experiences without moving from the base residence.
I hear what both of you are saying, but I probably will actually have to move. Much of my work is overseas and generally I won't be allowed to stay into retirement. Nor would I really want to.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:54 AM   #58

Quote:
That sounds fantastic. How do you do that for reasonable $$$? I have zero desire to RV. Staying in ~$200/night Hampton Inns adds up quickly. I'm actually on a road trip now.

A nice truck camper - very much like being in a hotel room. Don't like RV resorts, but boondock National Forests and parks, state parks, etc. 400 watts of solar panels makes us energy independent - don't need hookups. Best campsites are often free or under $10-$12 a night. So we don't really 'camp', don't really 'RV' lol. The truck camper parks most anywhere a car does. Biggest expense is fuel, but we can keep expenses down by traveling a few hours, visiting an area for a few day, traveling a few hours...

If we need AC, State Parks are generally fairly good about keeping some privacy between units and cost - about $25 a night.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-26-2015, 11:56 AM   #59

We budget about $1000 to $1500 a month for travel.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-26-2015, 01:30 PM   #60

For the past 6 years we have used vrbo and other rental houses, apartments and condos, usually for 2 to 4 weeks at a time, rented a house for 6 months in 2011.

So far this year we have rented vrbo style furnished places several times. It's a great way for us to get to know a town and/or area. We are about to head out to Canmore for a month stay in a 2 bed furnished place. While there our son is going to fly out and visit with us from Texas.