Join Early Retirement Today

Alternatives To The Norms
Old 07-20-2015, 09:51 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Alternatives To The Norms

Hi,

I have a while until retirement, but have been researching alternatives to the normal options. I anticipate DW and I *not* wanting to:

1) Pick a retirement location, buy a house. That would be really tough for us. More than likely we would get the location wrong and be stuck trying to sell a place we don't want.

2) RV - not for us.

3) Camping - not for us.

4) Long distance travel. DW and I already up to 90-100 visited countries. No more need.

5) Living overseas. Done that for 20 years, enuff is enuff.

6) Renting a house. Hate the thought, but might be a good option.

What other ideas are out there? I'm wondering if there are some innovative ideas I am missing. I don't need the overseas aspect. What is a financially savvy way to spend a few years in exploring one place (in U.S.A) and then move on?

Thanks!
clobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2015, 09:53 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by clobber View Post
Hi,

I have a while until retirement, but have been researching alternatives to the normal options. I anticipate DW and I *not* wanting to:

1) Pick a retirement location, buy a house. That would be really tough for us. More than likely we would get the location wrong and be stuck trying to sell a place we don't want.

2) RV - not for us.

3) Camping - not for us.

4) Living overseas. Done that for 20 years, enuff is enuff.

5) Renting a house. Hate the thought, but might be a good option.

What other ideas are out there? I'm wondering if there are some innovative ideas I am missing. I don't need the overseas aspect. What is a financially savvy way to spend a few years in one place and then move on?

Thanks!
Select an area rent for a while and then hunt for a house to buy if you like the area. It is essentially try before you buy for a location. Also then you can house shop at your leisure.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:59 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Select an area rent for a while and then hunt for a house to buy if you like the area. It is essentially try before you buy for a location. Also then you can house shop at your leisure.
I suppose that would be my default plan.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Hi,

2) RV - not for us.

3) Camping - not for us.

4) Long distance travel. DW and I already up to 90-100 visited countries. No more need.

5) Living overseas. Done that for 20 years, enuff is enuff.

6) Renting a house. Hate the thought, but might be a good option.

What other ideas are out there? I'm wondering if there are some innovative ideas I am missing. I don't need the overseas aspect. What is a financially savvy way to spend a few years in exploring one place (in U.S.A) and then move on?

Thanks!
clobber, so many things... so little time.
much of this has more to do with what you want to do with your retirement.

you noted RV an d camping as two items... I'm not sure these are two different things in your post. I may be wrong, but I'm guessing that both are what I call "car camping"... camping were you drive to the camping spot. We will do this... but we do backwoods hiking, canoeing and camping ... but that is us. It does keep us in better shape and allows my wife to watch the critters and birds.
We lived over seas for a much shorter time and with kids... did not travel anywhere near as much as you... so international travel is still on our list.

So what do you like to do? giving back to society? working on houses?... something like habitat for humanity might fit.

see the country via motor cycle. I keep kidding DW that we need to do the 3 month motorcycle tour of Alaska.

Sailing? just for fun or competitively race. Or a boat that you can sleep on and travel that way. Be in in coastal waters, the great lakes or others.

I'm not ready to pick a retirement location either.... plus we are helping DMIL as she ages. That will come later.

There are many ways to give back, many ways to just enjoy your time, etc. It would really help both the forum members and yourself to know your interests to help provide suggestions. ... for us, I don't see the "norm" retiree hiking miles away from water and toilets... to camp were few people travel.
If your don't know what you really want to do... try something... don't like that.. modify and go. life is short. When you become ancient.. then look at setting in some retirement home/area if that suits you.

good luck
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:13 AM   #5

You haven't mentioned what you *like* to do, so it's hard to make recommendations.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-21-2015, 05:16 AM   #6

We chose not to move to to a retirement location, just kept the house - it's paid for. We just don't spend a lot of time in it. There are plenty to see and do in this country, places to go, new experiences to try...

It's difficult to get bored. We just act on whimsy and go.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:34 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Another option: stay right where you are.
DayDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:57 AM   #8

Live on a cruise ship?
Live in hotels?
Commune?
Group retirement living?
Convent/cloister/religious retreat?
ArkTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:53 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
You haven't mentioned what you *like* to do, so it's hard to make recommendations.

I like lots of things, dedicated to nothing.

I've been a life long golfer. For the first 10-15 years of retirement I see that as being critical to life. After that, skills deteriorate too much and I wont need it. I also enjoy learning and teaching so will be looking at universities and MOOC etc. I hate the cold (unless there is skiing), but do like summers in the Northern U.S. much better than the South. The food in southern Louisiana Cajun country is much much much (did I say much?) better than any other place in the world. Sorry world, I have been there and it is true. I prefer mild summers and no winter.....have yet to find that. I really enjoy going to baseball games. Would probably gravitate to the minor leagues.

Lots of possibilities with many conflicting desires.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:56 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
We chose not to move to to a retirement location, just kept the house - it's paid for. We just don't spend a lot of time in it. There are plenty to see and do in this country, places to go, new experiences to try...

It's difficult to get bored. We just act on whimsy and go.

That sounds fantastic. How do you do that for reasonable $$$? I have zero desire to RV. Staying in ~$200/night Hampton Inns adds up quickly. I'm actually on a road trip now.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:58 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDreaming View Post
Another option: stay right where you are.
Generally that would be an option for many people. Not for me though.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:59 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That sounds fantastic. How do you do that for reasonable $$$? I have zero desire to RV. Staying in ~$200/night Hampton Inns adds up quickly. I'm actually on a road trip now.
No free lunch. Whether in an RV or Hampton Inn, both cost $.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:00 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkTinkerer View Post
Live on a cruise ship?
Live in hotels?
Commune?
Group retirement living?
Convent/cloister/religious retreat?
I appreciate the ideas, but no, no, no, and no/no/no
Old 07-21-2015, 08:03 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Generally that would be an option for many people. Not for me though.
Don't want to stay where you are - check.
Don't want to RV - check.
Don't want to camp -check
Don't want to spend for hotels - check.
Don't want to cruise -check.
Don't want to rent - check.

Have you considered teleportaion?
Old 07-21-2015, 08:06 AM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I suggest you select one area of the country at a time and comb thru the VRBO rentals, they usually rent for anywhere from several days to several months and the longer you stay the cheaper the per night price.

This gives you flexibility and all the comforts of home without actually signing a long term rental contract. For example in the Southwest you have PHX, Sedona, Page AZ, St George, Mesquite NV, Brian Head Ut, Santa FE, NM and on and on. As we get older we prefer the long 2 to 3 weeks stays so we can settle in a little bit. One could easily spend an entire Northern winter doing this and the only extra cost is really lodging and gas. The rest of it is pretty much your normal living patterns.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:19 AM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would suggest extended living hotels....

We have stayed a few times in them.... really surprised how good some of them are...

One we rented was a 2BR and had a nice living room and kitchen... was more like an apartment than a hotel...

Another was in Las Vegas and they had free breakfast and dinner.... it was a 1BR and was smaller than a 1BR apartment (well, at least the ones I had), but was still better than a hotel room....

I would not have had a problem living at either of these for a few months... but they do get expensive... but we never checked if there were long term rents that would make it cheaper...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:20 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

Why don't we have that yet

I think that's why I started this thread. That list would be the widely known options and I was looking for any lesser known alternatives. I guess there is not a service like that. I could see paying $X/year to have something like that in the U.S.A. Live in Nevada a year, then California....oops want to stay for 2 years in California...no big deal. No rent contracts to worry about. Kinda like a time share on steroids I guess. And no, timeshares are not on my list either.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:22 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I suggest you select one area of the country at a time and comb thru the VRBO rentals, they usually rent for anywhere from several days to several months and the longer you stay the cheaper the per night price.
I have started looking at VRBO and Airbnb. Thanks
Old 07-21-2015, 08:27 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I would suggest extended living hotels....

We have stayed a few times in them.... really surprised how good some of them are...
Can you give me some examples?

On multiple occasions I've need to stay long term in Residence Inn's, Extended Stay America, and other places like that. I think the max was about 4 weeks. Its not bad, but gets old quick. And the one in Maine looks just like the one in California looks just like the one in South Dakota. Boring.

This is a viable option though. FYI - in many places in Europe you can get very good deals the longer you stay. I once got a 200 Euro/night hotel for 80/night (center of Rome) by staying a couple of months.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:36 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

I think we are going about this the wrong way. All this is about shelter. What we need to ask is not where you want to live but WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO?

If the answer is read books then maybe you should live in a condo by a library. If the answer is snow skiing then it will be something completely different. So, give us a list of things you enjoy, or think you might enjoy, doing on a daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly basis. What matters to you?
ArkTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote