Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Aluminum Outdoor Furniture and Salt Air?
Old 08-20-2014, 04:44 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Aluminum Outdoor Furniture and Salt Air?

Does anyone have any experience with cast or extruded aluminum outdoor furniture in salt air? We are thinking we like the look for our place in Florida, but aren't sure about oxidation. The porch is covered, but is directly on the ocean. Most likely, the furniture would be moved inside during May-November. All help appreciated.
45th Birthday is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2014, 04:57 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You can fight it, but expect it sooner or later. We have two year old cast aluminum chairs and table that are in our screen enclosure year round. All show signs of oxidation this fall we will pressure wash and spray paint. You should fare better since they will only be outside part of the time and on a covered porch.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:20 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Plastic is better for this use.

Ha
Old 08-21-2014, 04:30 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a house one block from the beach and won't buy anything but powder coated cast aluminum.
The crummy powdered coated steel chairs will always rust in spots,and can stain peoples clothes,rust spots on the deck.
The problem is finding them, I like stackable chairs with cloth fabric.
Sam's club has them for 50 each,they also use a nice Sunbrella fabric. These stay out on the second floor deck, April to November, so far 3 years old and still look pretty good. Powder coated aluminum frame and glass top table, at least 10 years old stays out all year. Some of the powder coating is sand blasted off, but no heavy corrosion.
Rental property in OC NJ.
Old Mike
mf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:57 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

PVC Patio Furniture | Outdoor PVC Furniture | PVC Chairs, Umbrellas

This stuff lasts forever and is very comfortable. You can buy casual chairs and even recliners. I live in Florida about 3 miles from the ocean. This stuff stays outside on my porch and patio year round. Cleaning it is simple. A spray bottle with a mixture of bleach and dish detergent then rinse it off with water and let the sun dry it!

Mike
wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Anodized Aluminum
Old 08-21-2014, 10:22 AM   #6

Anodized Aluminum

When I moved to Florida in 1965 the house came with some anodized aluminum patio furniture (gold in color). It sat outside (not even in a screened porch), and our house was 500 feet from the beach on the Atlantic side (everything pretty much always coated with salt). The furniture is solid aluminum (not hollow) and has stretchy plastic straps that you sit on. It looked like it might have been extruded (square cross section about 15mm or so with rounded off corners).

That furniture is still in use today. No longer right on the beach, though. The furniture has been re-strapped, the wheels replaced, but the furniture frames themselves show zero signs of corrosion.

I've seen many PVC sets come and go, that's for sure, so I'd avoid that. Almost nothing survives the salt and the baking sun, but those chairs, lounges and table all came through amazingly well.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:39 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

This thread reminded me of the pictures I took of these rusting bikes at the first of this year in Florida. Been walking past these for years and finally took pictures of them to show the folks back home what salt air can do. I believe these were brand new when they were locked to that bike rack. The literature they came with (dtd 2006) is still hanging from the rusting handlebars. They haven't moved in the years I've been renting there - so I believe they've never been ridden. They are located outside in an inlet on the common walkway, but under the roof of the building and protected from rain and sun, but not the salt air (we are about 1/2 block off the beach). Gives one a real appreciation for what salt air can do to things. Those black handlebars were shiny chrome, just like what is actually flaking off the fenders of the first bike....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rusting Bike 2014 (3).jpg (658.2 KB, 10 views)
fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz View Post
...Gives one a real appreciation for what salt air can do to things. ....
Unless you've experienced living on the beach with salt spray, it's hard to fathom how quick things corrode. The inside of our pool heater just was a pile of rust after a couple of years...literally disintigrated. And forget putting two different kinds of metal touching (like a steel screw and an aluminum frame). Something like that would be gone in a month.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:05 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

The condo management has already told us to forget about putting ceiling fans on the porches because the insides rot in six months.
45th Birthday is offline   Reply With Quote