Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-17-2018, 07:14 AM   #221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
It might be a good time to start paying attention.
Nah, and I’m well aware of the latest “news.” Haters are still hating, and supporters are still supporters, entirely predictable - nothing new to see. Life goes on...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2018, 07:36 AM   #222
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Nah, and I’m well aware of the latest “news.” Haters are still hating, and supporters are still supporters, entirely predictable - nothing new to see. Life goes on...
I'm at a loss nationally, but getting involved locally. This is my community. Voices are actually heard. We want good neighbors and great communities to live in. Can't sit with ears and eyes shut, on a local level anyway.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:24 AM   #223
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
I'm at a loss nationally, but getting involved locally. This is my community. Voices are actually heard. We want good neighbors and great communities to live in. Can't sit with ears and eyes shut, on a local level anyway.
There is a huge difference between "sit with ears and eyes shut" and not spending a large percentage of your time listening to the same biased BS over and over again. You can be well informed on the issues that matter to you without constantly monitoring the talking heads, blog writers, written "news" outlets, etc.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:48 AM   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
There is a huge difference between "sit with ears and eyes shut" and not spending a large percentage of your time listening to the same biased BS over and over again. You can be well informed on the issues that matter to you without constantly monitoring the talking heads, blog writers, written "news" outlets, etc.
I agree, finding the organizations that matter to you and engaging is important. I meant "eyes and ears shut" by going about life without concern above and beyond the bubble I live in. No concern of local activity which can lead to larger negative issues.

For instance, a local coal company is lobbying to dump coal ash into one of our most beautiful, natural rivers. Investigating where our electricity is produced...I found it is 100% wind powered which is encouraging. Our local community is engaging in a solar push to bring down prices on solar installation. Getting involved and paying attention locally leads to better decisions nationwide.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 07-17-2018, 08:53 AM   #225
Administrator

Probably a good idea to stick to the thread topic and avoid sidetracking it into specific issues. Plenty of opportunity to discuss individual issues in their own threads.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:59 AM   #226
Gone but not forgotten

Guess I'm an outlier. Time on my hands and have a concern for the world our kids and grandkids will be living in. Can't do much about it, but am encouraged by the direction that they're headed. All of them are balancing their "today" with a look to where our country is headed. They are many times more aware of the world around them than I ever was at their "college" age.

Not worried about ourselves, 'cuz we won't be around, but we reserve the time to try and understand what the future will hold for them.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:01 AM   #227

Moms in (your town) are using this one weird trick to be completely informed with accurate news about everything in less than a minute per day. Click here for details:

ETA: Oops, the link doesn't seem to be working now.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:11 AM   #228
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I agree, finding the organizations that matter to you and engaging is important. I meant "eyes and ears shut" by going about life without concern above and beyond the bubble I live in. No concern of local activity which can lead to larger negative issues.

For instance, a local coal company is lobbying to dump coal ash into one of our most beautiful, natural rivers. Investigating where our electricity is produced...I found it is 100% wind powered which is encouraging. Our local community is engaging in a solar push to bring down prices on solar installation. Getting involved and paying attention locally leads to better decisions nationwide.
Was anybody talking about no concern for local activity?
Old 07-17-2018, 09:26 AM   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Was anybody talking about no concern for local activity?
Oops, meant to quote Michael B.

News is local as well as national. OP did not distinguish between the two. I only provided examples of being locally involved. This forum provides individual financial choices and larger financial issues facing all of us. The thread allows us to voice individual opinions as well or the thread should be porky.

All the same to taxes and expenses we experience locally as well as the big picture. I hate my property taxes and share the individual cost to my budget. We all talk about how ACA affects us individually as well as nationally. Sorry, I don't see how this is different.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 07-17-2018, 09:39 AM   #230
Administrator

Quote:
Oops, meant to quote Michael B.

News is local as well as national. OP did not distinguish between the two. I only provided examples of being locally involved. This forum provides individual financial choices and larger financial issues facing all of us. The thread allows us to voice individual opinions as well or the thread should be porky.

All the same to taxes and expenses we experience locally as well as the big picture. I hate my property taxes and share the individual cost to my budget. We all talk about how ACA affects us individually as well as nationally. Sorry, I don't see how this is different.
Plenty of opportunity to discuss ACA or any other issue that affects early retirement. Those issues deserve their own threads, though. My suggestion was to keep it out of this thread to avoid hijacking it.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:45 AM   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Plenty of opportunity to discuss ACA or any other issue that affects early retirement. Those issues deserve their own threads, though. My suggestion was to keep it out of this thread to avoid hijacking it.
Got it, I guess you're a moderator for a reason. The glue on my soapbox can be superglue sometimes. :-))

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 07-17-2018, 10:00 AM   #232
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
.... For instance, a local coal company is lobbying to dump coal ash into one of our most beautiful, natural rivers. Investigating where our electricity is produced...I found it is 100% wind powered which is encouraging. Our local community is engaging in a solar push to bring down prices on solar installation. Getting involved and paying attention locally leads to better decisions nationwide.
As MichaelB says, this topic could/should be in its own thread, but there is something relevant to "the news", so let me try that angle briefly.

If your comment "Investigating where our electricity is produced..." refers to reading this from news/media sources, it goes to show how careful one must be. Your electricity is not 100% wind powered, no way. On a calm day, do you still have power? How's that work? ANSWER: It doesn't.

" a solar push to bring down prices on solar installation. " ?? A "solar push" would be increased demand. Economics 101 says increased demand raises prices. And why do they need solar if they are already getting all their power from wind

Any further comment should be in its own thread, I just wanted to point out that if you are getting this info from your news sources, you need new news sources (say that 10x fast!)!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:05 AM   #233
Give me a forum ...

The more semiconductors they make the cheaper they get. Cost decreases.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:22 AM   #234
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
The more semiconductors they make the cheaper they get. Cost decreases.
I'll start a thread on that, or find one of my old discussions later, don't want to derail this thread. But not to leave you hanging, it's the other way around.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:40 AM   #235
Administrator

So, let's agree to not hijack this discussion, let's all take it to to a new thread, but first make sure to express my view - in a thread critical of how information is presented. Is there some small degree of irony here?
Old 07-17-2018, 11:52 AM   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
+1
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:56 AM   #237

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
So, let's agree to not hijack this discussion, let's all take it to to a new thread, but first make sure to express my view - in a thread critical of how information is presented. Is there some small degree of irony here?
New thread started!

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 07-17-2018, 11:56 AM   #238
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Once in a while we spend the whole day in "radio silence". It seems like we have no effect on it so we can continue to do it responsibly. It is always a relief. This includes the internet. Sadly we still learn about the cave kids and the world cup because our friends talk about it.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:02 PM   #239
Give me a forum ...

Just today I read where one should write down the "outrage of the week" in one's calendar 6 six weeks ahead and then revisit that outrage in 6 six weeks to see if it's still relevant.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:07 PM   #240
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Just today I read where one should write down the "outrage of the week" in one's calendar 6 six weeks ahead and then revisit that outrage in 6 six weeks to see if it's still relevant.
6 weeks? More like 6 days. At times, even hours

There is more and better information and analysis available to the average person than at any time in human history. It is empowering like never before.

There's also more slag. We just need to choose carefully and filter effectively.