Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2014, 05:46 PM   #41
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
DH and I love retirement--his is more focused and achievement oriented and mine is more flexible and "let's try this." I am sure the OP will settle in nicely.

I am curious about announcing it to family 20 months ahead of time. Perhaps the family felt you were asking for their opinions, as that seems a pretty long advance notice about anything.
Well I guess it may have come off as an announcement, but I meant it as more of a sharing of our happiness, excitement and relief during a family get together. After 28 years of keeping our heads down and LBYM (which I wasn't always happy about at the time), it was soo great to run the numbers and see the light at the end of the tunnel. The loss of DH's father recently really drove home the feeling that life is precious and short. I think I couldn't contain myself. The reaction I got really took the wind out of my sails. It isn't out of the norm for family members to be more competitive and critical than supportive; I guess I should've known better.

I really am relieved by all of the experiences relayed in this thread, as most sound right in the ballpark of what I hope the "essence" of my ER experience will be...

Thanks very much everyone.

(Edited to remove a few too many "I guess")

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
__________________

__________________
Miranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2014, 06:43 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Ready's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,823
A lesson I learned early in life is that when I'm doing what others generally do, it usually turns out to be wrong. So if others are telling you that an early retirement doesn't make sense, that should make you feel very good.
__________________

__________________
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:16 PM   #43
Moderator
Ronstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: A little ways southwest of Chicago
Posts: 9,343
Miranda - you don't sound lazy to me. Sounds like you have plenty of interests to keep you busy. I have 5 work days left and my coworkers are really amping up the "what are you going to do all day" comments. I have so much to do that I don't have time to make a list.

There are a lot of people that don't understand how someone can keep busy without a job eating up at least 8 hrs a day. Don't let those people and their comments lead your retirement plans astray.
__________________
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:41 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
I always thought it was strange that people thought I would get bored doing things I liked and having control over my life but didn't think I could get sick and tired of going to work and having to jump when somebody else blows the whistle?

Well said. Why do people keep saying we'll get tired of doing what we want to do and keep encouraging us to stay working and do the things we don 't want to do? Why does anyone think this? It makes no sense.
__________________
EastWest Gal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:54 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,471
My coworkers ( some of whom buy fancy houses in their 40s when the kids are grown and gone) are universally jealous to walk away next year. I just wish it could be tomorrow.....
__________________
EastWest Gal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:47 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 16,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Well said. Why do people keep saying we'll get tired of doing what we want to do and keep encouraging us to stay working and do the things we don 't want to do? Why does anyone think this? It makes no sense.
Definitely! Makes you start to wonder about brainwashing........
__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:01 AM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
timo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rio Rancho
Posts: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
All the stuff people said about becoming bored, wasting away, climbing the walls, not feeling useful or fulfilled etc, was just another example of other people not knowing what the hell they are talking about.

Actually, those are the attributes I apply to most jobs people do just for the money.
__________________
"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" Michael O’Neill
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:52 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets
truenorth418's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
All the stuff people said about becoming bored, wasting away, climbing the walls, not feeling useful or fulfilled etc, was just another example of other people not knowing what the hell they are talking about.
Someone once asked me: "You're retired? At such a young age? What do you do all day? Don't you get bored?"

I replied: "Oh yes, I do get bored sometimes. But NEVER as bored as I ever got in business meetings, conference calls, commuting, answering emails, working on powerpoints, sales meetings, annual reviews..."

__________________
truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:08 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda View Post
Well I guess it may have come off as an announcement, but I meant it as more of a sharing of our happiness, excitement and relief during a family get together. After 28 years of keeping our heads down and LBYM (which I wasn't always happy about at the time), it was soo great to run the numbers and see the light at the end of the tunnel. The loss of DH's father recently really drove home the feeling that life is precious and short. I think I couldn't contain myself. The reaction I got really took the wind out of my sails. It isn't out of the norm for family members to be more competitive and critical than supportive; I guess I should've known better.

I really am relieved by all of the experiences relayed in this thread, as most sound right in the ballpark of what I hope the "essence" of my ER experience will be...

Thanks very much everyone.

(Edited to remove a few too many "I guess")

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Early Retirement Forum mobile aapp
I think it is great that you're on track for this, Miranda, but families can be weird, especially in-laws (I let dh be the main communicator with his family even though I am very close to them). Sometimes people think because they can't do something that no one else should, or they feel threatened by others' accomplishments. So just come here to share good news and we will cheer you on!
__________________
“Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?” J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:43 PM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by truenorth418 View Post
Someone once asked me: "You're retired? At such a young age? What do you do all day? Don't you get bored?"



I replied: "Oh yes, I do get bored sometimes. But NEVER as bored as I ever got in business meetings, conference calls, commuting, answering emails, working on powerpoints, sales meetings, annual reviews..."




I get bored, but going to w*rk has never been my solution...
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:26 AM   #51
Dryer sheet aficionado
LazyErik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 49
There is a huge difference between lazy and content. I think that this issue only comes up in cultures that are hyper competitive. If you have your finances in order you shouldn't lose a bit of sleep over what all of the busy bees think. GL on your FIRE. I for one am happy that you can do what you want!
__________________
LazyErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:23 PM   #52
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
It's your life. Don't worry about what others say or think and you'll be much better off.
+1 - I was going to say who cares what they think - let them live their lives and you can live yours.....as for running, etc, excellent - I just did a sprint tri and saw a 76 year old lady there who I know beat me.....great hobby and fun..we also play badminton in the middle of the day - wouldn't be possible if not semi-retired. We also ski, travel, read, do what we want....it's great. We both work part-time - we have intense workdays/stretches and then stretches of totally free time. We do it because we want to and not because we have to....plus the nature of our work is either in front of a computer or traveling around the world...tack a week here or there while somewhere cool, and it makes it worthwhile.
__________________
Deserat aka Bridget
“We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.” - George Orwell/Winston Churchill
deserat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:28 PM   #53
Dryer sheet aficionado
DUFUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 40
"Be what you is and not what you is not! Folks that is what they is, is the happiest lot!"
__________________

__________________
DUFUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oh, sob: possible dental extraction coming! Marita40 Health and Early Retirement 28 12-20-2012 11:01 AM
beer gone...all gone...sob hakuna matata Other topics 35 12-04-2012 05:59 PM
Lazy or just bad business Arif Other topics 12 08-31-2006 02:00 PM
A Lazy Sunday In Florida (Photos) ShokWaveRider Life after FIRE 9 03-08-2006 05:46 PM
What does a lazy guy do? setab FIRE and Money 13 12-24-2005 09:39 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:07 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.