Join Early Retirement Today

Am I Retired!?
Old 11-15-2018, 04:05 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Am I Retired!?

Or am I?

Well, I am Financially Independent. So checked that box.
I do have a job. Full time. At least theoretically.

But it only requires my part-time attention. I seldom go to the office. Much of what I do is on a schedule I can dictate. Well, a few times a year I have key external meetings, and maybe an internal meeting that may last most of the day once a month. But most of what I do is reviewing documents and responding to email, which may take 1 to say 5 hours a day. But I am using my skills and capitalizing on my experience by not having to put in all that much time to achieve results. My team is also experienced and in place for a while.

I know some folks struggle with how to fill their time after FIRE. Some take a second act job, or work part time, or volunteer. It can be hard to find a part-time job that is fulfilling. Sure I complain some, but I try to keep it to myself. And here.

So perhaps I am already retired and I did not realize it until now. I just have the best part-time job in America?

Differing views welcome.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2018, 04:14 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Only you can answer that question. The definition of "retired" is quite different depending on who you ask. It's about as subjective as what one might find to be "perfect" in a spouse.

For me, I wouldn't be caught using some of the words you used:

-External Meeting
-Internal Meeting
-Capitalizing
-Achieve
-Team
-Experienced

It all sounds too much like lyrics from Weird Al's "Mission Statement".

Edit to add: Plus, it appears that you have your j*b title as part of your username. So if I actually *had* to vote...I would definitely say, "NOT RETIRED".
Old 11-15-2018, 04:16 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

You’re whatever you want to be, say you are...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 04:19 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

911!!! We need the IRP STAT!

If you are FI, and just working to putz around and do stuff, I vote yes. But others here might not see it that way. Think of yourself as a well compensated volunteer. I'm a volunteer. My compensation is awesome - it's just not financial. YMMV.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:20 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
Or am I?

But it only requires my part-time attention. I seldom go to the office. Much of what I do is on a schedule I can dictate. Well, a few times a year I have key external meetings, and maybe an internal meeting that may last most of the day once a month. But most of what I do is reviewing documents and responding to email, which may take 1 to say 5 hours a day. But I am using my skills and capitalizing on my experience by not having to put in all that much time to achieve results. My team is also experienced and in place for a while.

I know some folks struggle with how to fill their time after FIRE. Some take a second act job, or work part time, or volunteer. It can be hard to find a part-time job that is fulfilling. Sure I complain some, but I try to keep it to myself. And here.

So perhaps I am already retired and I did not realize it until now. I just have the best part-time job in America?

Differing views welcome.
I think generally the common term semi-retired indicates someone is FI or almost FI and has a lower stress job part-time job or gone to much shorter hours at the current job for whatever reason as a stepping stone to full retirement. Seems like you probably fall into that category?
Old 11-15-2018, 04:21 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like working to me still, but that's me.
I spent this morning working on a topspin serve for Pickleball. Work of a different sort I guess.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:23 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Or am I?

Differing views welcome.
You're not retired. You are exactly what you say you are: a person with a great part time job. Why call that something it isn't?

An exception to this view would be when a person is deemed "retired" by a previous employer and has some retiree benefits due to that status. For example, you spend 20 yrs in the military and "retire." Then you find a private sector job and work full time. You'd say that you're "retired" from the military and now working for the Acme Corp.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:33 PM   #8
Administrator

What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 04:37 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet
Perhaps so, but it just appears as though he/she enjoys their j*b...and in the words of George Costanza, "Not that there is anything wrong with that."
Old 11-15-2018, 04:47 PM   #10

Quote:
I am in a similar position, and call myself semi-retired. If I were to fully retire, it would be a disaster for the multi-state partnership I manage (agriculture). There is a huge difference between being the boss vs. running desperately on a corporate hamster wheel; I'm lucky to be able to set my own schedule. However, like a large garden, my business needs continual modest attention or it will suffer greatly. So, unlike some folks on this board I can't take off for a few months to sail around the world, hence the 'semi-retired' label.
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 04:50 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I plan to w*rk semi retired in 2019.
The job is full time, from home, online.
Most w*rk is based on my schedule except for twice a month, all day meeting near by.

I'm not at FRA yet so this w*rk gets me 1 year closer with little stress.
Octogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 05:02 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I have seen these sentiments expressed from time to time, that if you are "retired" you must not work.

But dozens maybe hundreds of people on this board work post "retirement", so that does not seem to be a hard and fast rule.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:05 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post
I am in a similar position, and call myself semi-retired. If I were to fully retire, it would be a disaster for the multi-state partnership I manage (agriculture). There is a huge difference between being the boss vs. running desperately on a corporate hamster wheel; I'm lucky to be able to set my own schedule. However, like a large garden, my business needs continual modest attention or it will suffer greatly. So, unlike some folks on this board I can't take off for a few months to sail around the world, hence the 'semi-retired' label.
Great litmus test
Old 11-15-2018, 05:05 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octogirl View Post
I plan to w*rk semi retired in 2019.
The job is full time, from home, online.
Most w*rk is based on my schedule except for twice a month, all day meeting near by.

I'm not at FRA yet so this w*rk gets me 1 year closer with little stress.
In my case, FRA is meaningless. There are no retiree benefits in my company. Financially I do not need a job. I am continuing to work because it is a great part-time job. If it becomes too time consuming or other BS becomes too much I will quit.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:03 PM   #15

the bigger questions are:

Are you satisfied with your work arrangement?

Are you happy?

If the answers are yes, then don't change a thing.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 06:08 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
the bigger questions are:

Are you satisfied with your work arrangement?

Are you happy?

If the answers are yes, then don't change a thing.
It is working for me presently. If that changes I will change it.

I am ok if people don't think I am retired or if they do. I would never see myself as the judge of that. But it is an interesting question.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:18 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I usually accept a person's own decision as to whether or not they are retired, because it's none of my business. Who am I to say? That said, the definition of retired, according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, is:
Quote:
Definition of retired
: secluded
a retired village
: withdrawn from one's position or occupation : having concluded one's working or professional career
: received by or due to one in retirement
By this definition, and from what you said, I would tend to conclude that you are not retired because apparently you have not concluded your working or professional career.

However I suppose you could look for, or invent, another definition if you want. We are not the retirement police.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:26 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Call it what you want, but I had an almost identical situation toward the end of my working life, and I did not consider myself retired. But it's just a label. You say you don't care, but yet you ask, and in post 12 you talk about others who call themselves retired yet you say they still work.

Wait until you reveal your low WR, and people tell you that you worked too long. Hopefully you can ignore them and laugh. I never regretted those last couple years where I padded my nest egg while doing very little.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:42 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I usually accept a person's own decision as to whether or not they are retired, because it's none of my business. Who am I to say? That said, the definition of retired, according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, is:

By this definition, and from what you said, I would tend to conclude that you are not retired because apparently you have not concluded your working or professional career.

However I suppose you could look for, or invent, another definition if you want. We are not the retirement police.
I dont disagree. But that definition does not work very well for people who, for example, work on their early retirement blogs (touting their early retirement) or work at part time jobs after leaving their primary careers.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:13 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
I dont disagree. But that definition does not work very well for people who, for example, work on their early retirement blogs (touting their early retirement) or work at part time jobs after leaving their primary careers.
Exactly, I think I worked 40 hours this year for an old client.... I still consider myself more retired than part-time