Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Amazon lowers free shipping threshold to $35
Old 02-21-2017, 10:35 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
gromit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 161
Amazon lowers free shipping threshold to $35

Amazon has lowered the threshold for non-Prime free shipping to $35. Walmart recently implemented a $35 threshold and Amazon appears to have decided to match it.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/02/19/...pping-minimum/
__________________

gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2017, 10:58 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
sengsational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 4,244
I went on strike when then increased it from the original $25. And when they started collecting sales tax, I was REALLY gone. I think they got the free shipping threshold up to $49? Probably to sell prime memberships, which I never thought would be a good deal for me. I quit buying on Amazon for smaller stuff, except if I just couldn't find something elsewhere for cheaper. But it seems I could always find things from professional sellers on eBay for less than Amazon. But just yesterday I had a cart on Amazon and one on eBay, and the Amazon cart won by a few bucks, even though Amazon was charging sales tax, and the eBay sellers were not.
__________________

sengsational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:05 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
JoeWras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I went on strike when then increased it from the original $25. And when they started collecting sales tax, I was REALLY gone. I think they got the free shipping threshold up to $49? Probably to sell prime memberships, which I never thought would be a good deal for me. I quit buying on Amazon for smaller stuff, except if I just couldn't find something elsewhere for cheaper. But it seems I could always find things from professional sellers on eBay for less than Amazon. But just yesterday I had a cart on Amazon and one on eBay, and the Amazon cart won by a few bucks, even though Amazon was charging sales tax, and the eBay sellers were not.
So you file for the use tax on your state form instead?
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:12 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
sengsational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 4,244
Of course I do. I spend many hours per month keeping track of every penny so that I can make sure the state gets it's cut.
sengsational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:15 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 8,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
So you file for the use tax on your state form instead?
What is this thing called "use tax"?

Just kidding. Kinda like that Barbara Mandrell song, I was paying use tax before use tax wasn't cool.

I used to keep track of each purchase and have a spreadsheet to do the calculation. This was before internet shopping go so popular. Now, I just go with the estimated use tax calculated by the state, based on income. No more detailed tracking needed and I'm probably ahead than had I calculated each purchase.

By the way, Let Amazon and Walmart slug it out. Competition is good for a shopper like me.
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:31 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 40,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
By the way, Let Amazon and Walmart slug it out. Competition is good for a shopper like me.
They had better keep slugging it out, as far as I'm concerned.

I have not been at all happy with Wal-Mart. I order non-perishable groceries from them from time to time. In three shipments out of three so far from Wal-Mart, almost every single can has arrived very badly dented and almost every single box has arrived very badly bashed or broken and spilling out the contents.

Amazon Prime Pantry does better with no dents or bashed boxes. Both Walmart and Amazon Prime Pantry ship to my location via USPS. So far I have never had to pay for shipping for either when I buy a big box of non-perishables. Both beat the prices at local grocery stores for many of the items that I need (so those are the items that I order).
__________________
100% retired since 2009 and never plan to work for anybody ever again, paid or not. Retirement funded by Social Security, mini-pension, and investments (AA 45:55, mostly Vanguard). Debt free with no mortgage and over-the-moon happy to be retired.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:52 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Following the nice weather
Posts: 7,103
I agree, Walmart as been a major disappointment. They've moved into online shopping with the same grace that Kodak moved into digital photography. When I've used Walmart for something delivered, it takes a long time and often arrives beat up. When I've done their Ship-to-Store process, it's taken forever to get there. Then when I go in to pick it up it takes sometime a half hour before someone shows up at the pick-up spot. Then they can't find the order. Once it's found (often by me going back into the storeroom), they handle the rest of the process with the usual enthusiasm and friendliness I've come to expect from Walmart. As in not.

I order tons of stuff from Amazon. I have Prime, and I'd say I'm 98% satisfied with their process. I actually don't mind the sales tax part, as it saves me from having to track it in order to pay the use tax. There are still the third party sales with no tax, but that's nowhere near as big an issue.

If I didn't have Prime (which would mean I didn't have my business) I would probably usually wait until I had enough stuff to order to get the free shipping. So whether it was $25, $35, or $49 wouldn't matter that much. I don't usually buy pencil erasers or individual screws from them anyway.
__________________
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Anonymous (not Will Rogers or Sam Clemens)
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:17 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
JoeWras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Of course I do. I spend many hours per month keeping track of every penny so that I can make sure the state gets it's cut.
Excellent!
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:32 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 674
I'm in one of the last few states that Amazon doesn't collect sales tax for. And I DO pay the estimated use tax on my state return. Living near the border of a non-tax state, I'm quite sure I beat the average.

I buy lots of small stuff on Amazon. With Prime, it's easy to just order something as soon as you think of it. I'll be working on a project and notice some materials or parts are getting low, and order more right from my phone.

I'm not looking forward to the day Amazon starts charging me tax. That would be a deal-breaker compared to picking up items on my next trip over the border. I'd have to go back to keeping shopping lists!
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:42 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Amethyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,532
Like Sengsational, I stopped using Amazon when "free" shipping went up to $50. I also noticed that shipping costs at Amazon were rarely "free."

Instead, I've been using Walmart.com, where items stocked by Walmart cost the same online as they do in the store (and sometimes less!). I just received a $37.00 shipment of small items from Walmart.com. They arrived on 3 separate days, including Saturday. What I liked best about this particular shipment was the proper sizing of box/container to item. Naturally walmart.com charges MD sales tax, but many of the things I bought from Amazon also carried sales tax b/c the original retailer had a presence in MD.

Competition is our friend!
__________________
If you understood everything I say, you'd be me ~ Miles Davis
'There is only one success – to be able to spend your life in your own way.’ Christopher Morley.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:49 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.
Sojourner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by gromit View Post
Amazon has lowered the threshold for non-Prime free shipping to $35. Walmart recently implemented a $35 threshold and Amazon appears to have decided to match it.
Excellent and unexpected news! As a fairly frequent non-Prime Amazon user, I found the $35 threshold pretty easy to deal with but the $49 threshold substantially less so. I've had a potential order sitting in my cart for several weeks now just because I couldn't meet the free-shipping threshold, and now looks like I can.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:18 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 8,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I'm in one of the last few states that Amazon doesn't collect sales tax for. And I DO pay the estimated use tax on my state return. Living near the border of a non-tax state, I'm quite sure I beat the average.

I buy lots of small stuff on Amazon. With Prime, it's easy to just order something as soon as you think of it. I'll be working on a project and notice some materials or parts are getting low, and order more right from my phone.

I'm not looking forward to the day Amazon starts charging me tax. That would be a deal-breaker compared to picking up items on my next trip over the border. I'd have to go back to keeping shopping lists!
I'm in a state that Amazon started charging sales tax about 2 years ago. Before the cutoff, I definitely did some stocking up with orders on non-perishable stuff like cleaning supplies.
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:27 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 479
Wow-I moved most of my on-line shopping from AMZ to Jet.com when it went to $50 shipping. Jet.com is at $35 and in Seattle WA my stuff gets here in two days most times.
supernova72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 03:06 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,727
Walmart bought Jet.com last year Walmart Agrees to Acquire Jet.com, One of the Fastest Growing e-Commerce Companies in the U.S. .

A current story re Jet.com and Walmart --perhaps Amazon is being proactive https://www.google.com/amp/www.geekw...?client=safari
__________________
“Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?” J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 03:53 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 20,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
...Instead, I've been using Walmart.com, where items stocked by Walmart cost the same online as they do in the store (and sometimes less!). I just received a $37.00 shipment of small items from Walmart.com. They arrived on 3 separate days, including Saturday. What I liked best about this particular shipment was the proper sizing of box/container to item...
My experience with Walmart is different. Last year, I placed an order with Walmart for the 1st time because they had the best prices. The order consisted of: 2 pairs of hiking poles of different colors (for his and hers), 1 plastic canteen, one can of bear spray. The shipping was free because the order total was more than $50.

The items came in 4 different shipments, on 4 different days, including the 2 sets of trekking poles! The cardboard containers were huge and nearly empty.

It did not cost me anything, but how could Walmart make any money shipping things like this? Perhaps they were rushing to catch up to Amazon, hence were still unorganized and inefficient.
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:25 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Following the nice weather
Posts: 7,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I'm in a state that Amazon started charging sales tax about 2 years ago. Before the cutoff, I definitely did some stocking up with orders on non-perishable stuff like cleaning supplies.
When I'm in my home in MD, I just drive 12 miles up to BJ's in Delaware. I can get whatever I need from there tax free. In FL I just suck it up and pay the tax.
__________________

__________________
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Anonymous (not Will Rogers or Sam Clemens)
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Amazon free shipping throw-ins tuixiu Other topics 8 05-11-2014 09:32 PM
Amazon - $35/free shipping powerplay Other topics 4 10-22-2013 06:26 PM
Amazon's Slow Free Super Shipping easysurfer Other topics 60 05-09-2011 07:22 PM
What is your "Free Gift" threshold? Zero Other topics 30 03-03-2010 09:08 AM
Get that "Free Shipping" from Amazon UncleHoney Other topics 8 10-26-2007 09:42 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:25 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.