An Early Go Slow Year

GravitySucks

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Have a birthday coming up soon and reviewed the last year. Last November Dear Mom was in a car accident and spent 4 month in hospital and nursing rehab. I cancelled our month snow birding trip to stay and help out. Since the release she's averaged thrice monthly doctor appointments that I drive her too, so my travels have been greatly curtailed. DM is doing better, but I may not be able to get her out a whole month this winter either.
Met a new lady friend who ER'ed a few months after we met. DGF likes to share expenses in our days out. She's as thrifty as I am, enjoying walks at the park and the $3 second run movie theater. Low cost dating. We have flown to Ft. Lauderdale for a 4 night trip, drives to Tennesee/N. Carolina, West Virginia, and Maine for three or four day trips. Sharing the cost certainly makes it inexpensive.
In the Spring I suffered a terrible bout of plantar fasciitis. Got over that and tripped over my dog injuring my knee. Those two slowed me right down. Didn't feel like doing anything.
I hired out a new roof, New gutters, tree removal, new furnace vent, fence post replacement along with car work. All but the roof I would have done myself before.

So the point of my post here is even having to hire out all these things the slow down in travel made up for it moneywise. I'm only a little over half of this year's planned withdrawal even with the new roof. (I did buy a used Miata, but that was paid out of the sale of the RV last year.) I think the slow down in spending in my late 70s and 80s will be as planned.

Last edited:
That's true GS and once in awhile the DH and I will talk about a spur of the moment trip or about adding a Summer trip to our calendar. Sometimes we do, but a lot of the time after I price it out one of says that would pay for those stressless recliner we were talking about for the TV room or let's hire the boom truck to trim our always needy building site trees. We could pay for both with no problems but somehow we don't actually do it or buy it without mentally "saving" the money for it. It's makes no sense I know:confused:

I would travel while you can as some day that may no longer be a option.

That's much of my point. That and the go slow years will probably be less expensive. I do enjoy my travels. 2018 had me on the road over 4 months.
Guess I should have titled this a Forced Slow Go Year.
Injuries and family obligations forced me to cancel 3 trips. I still took four shorter journeys.

That's much of my point. That and the go slow years will probably be less expensive. I do enjoy my travels. 2018 had me on the road over 4 months.
Guess I should have titled this a Forced Slow Go Year.
Injuries and family obligations forced me to cancel 3 trips. I still took four shorter journeys.

With DW's COPD and mobility issues (osteoporosis, etc) requiring a walker and constant oxygen, we only take driving trips, and those are becoming a royal PIA for all involved. :( She is turning 74 next week.

Get those big trips in while you can!

Back
Top Bottom