Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-29-2014, 09:52 AM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You left out Putin annexing Florida...
No problem, Birdie lives in Seattle-ish.

Would that be covered by our homeowners insurance?
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2014, 09:57 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
No problem, Birdie lives in Seattleish.

Would that be covered by our homeowners insurance?
No, conspiracy theories are uninsurable.

Edit: Some people think they are covered under the sanity clause - but as we all learned from watching the Three Stooges, there ain't no sanity clause.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:01 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What? No contrarians? How uncharacteristic of this group.
It's because we are just a bunch of boring ERs sitting at home and living vicariously through others' life. So, we urge others to take on adventures and watch from a distance, in between getting daily updates from our Vanguard accounts and counting the days till we can collect SS and Medicare.

Go, Birdie, go before you change your mind.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:14 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Go, Birdie, go before you change your mind.
And, if you change your mind, wait until you come back and then do it.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:38 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
What? No contrarians? How uncharacteristic of this group. Ten reasons to pass this by

No need to rush, you make your own opportunities and you can do this anytime.
Traveling is dangerous
What will you do if you get sick?
This will cost way more than you expect.
You can't leave stuff with friends and family and expect to get it back when you return.
You might not find a good place to live when you return.
You should save your money for long term care.
Something bad might happen while you are away.
The Fed, monetary policy and quantitative easing.
... but I've heard sea level is rising, meteor is coming, ice age advancing, world economy collapsing, natural resource being depleted, fresh water evaporating, WWIII starting, rain forests disappearing, .... He should reboot himself now before it is too late.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:39 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Go for it!

Think about it...years from now, when you reflect back on your life, if you don't do it, you'll say, "Gee, I wish I hadn't stayed put, and had traveled the world."

But if you do it, you'll NOT say "Gee, I wish I had just stayed put and not traveled the world."

GO FOR IT!
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:09 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What? No contrarians? How uncharacteristic of this group.
In all seriousness, I think it is because he wants to do it, he can do it and there is no real reason for him not to do it. Of course, he should do it prudently (most notably getting a handle on how he will handle any medical problems while away, that kind of thing).

Now as far as the idea itself I personally know that for me I would absolutely hate the kind of thing he is talking about. It wouldn't appeal to me at all and I could list lots of reasons why not. But, all of that is just personal preference. In his case, he wants to do this so why not.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:12 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Go, go, go! And have fun, fun, fun!
PERSonalTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:40 PM   #29

Quote:
. Thanks.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:53 PM   #30

Do It. Choosing to buy a one way ticket out of the US was one of the best things I ever did because it started a journey of personal growth. For me, slow travel or travel from base camps is preferred to the pace of 2 week vacations.

There is something liberating on several levels about getting rid of most of one's stuff. For me, it was clear what was worth keeping and what was time to let go of.

Having a base camp of friends / family or your own apartment makes it psychological easier to leave, as does a RT ticket. OW tickets encourage slow travel. Take your pick.

Schengen visas (~EU countries) allow 3 months in any 6 month period. Those 3 months don't have to be contiguous.

Are you familiar with the Lotus Eaters, described by Odysseus in Ulysses? Rebooting your life outside your home country can lead to the same bliss the lotus eaters found. Friends and family back home often consider that an unfortunate development. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus-eaters
Old 05-29-2014, 11:04 PM   #31

Quote:
And China annexing Hawaii.
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:02 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for all the comments , folks!
Yes, the favorable rent was a golden handcuff. I'm finding local rents for a decent one-bedroom apartment (~700 SF) going for ~$1000+. Then I need to add in other stuff I currently get but is included in my rent here--such as utilities, satellite TV and WiFi internet. Not to mention the vast & safe parking.

I've been spending the past few days looking at apartment rental sites. That's been a real eye opener. These are great tools that were not available to me when I was last looking for a place to live over 30 years ago. (There are some ugly, dreary apts/condos out there, compared to where I currently live, based on the photos online. Unless you wanna spend much more--like some $1300/month and more. Depressing.) I haven't actually gone out to actually view options yet. I may do that next week. That will give me a better idea of life may look like outside of this old home of mine.

As I mentioned, there's no rush to move, but I'm looking at options well in advance. When the time does come, I suppose I could do a 6 to 12 month lease, get a feel for things, downsize a lot more in this meantime, plan most of the logistics for that European trip, and consider doing the long trip the following Spring. Hmmm.

Thanks again, all!
Birdie Num Nums is online now   Reply With Quote