Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-14-2010, 09:52 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
In other words, "I am chick-trolling and I think this bull might help as I have very little else to recommend me. And who knows, some fool might even become a paying client."
Is that trolling for chicks or being a troll to chicks? Sorry, I've been out of the game so long I don't know the lingo anymore.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2010, 10:00 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Instead of saying "retired", why not just say you are a "private investor"?

Old 06-14-2010, 10:56 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Instead of saying "retired", why not just say you are a "private investor"?
Actually that is very close to the truth in my case. For the past 1.5 yrs or so I've been doing some serious datamining and research. I think I've developed a reasonably nice long term methodology which has some features I've not seen discussed elsewhere. But maybe saying "private investor" or "running private investment accounts" would send the wrong message to some people -- like I'm Mr. Big-Bucks or maybe a bit egocentric?

Some nosy types (who I met on say a vacation) I would not really be concerned about, but some people (perhaps closer to home) who I might want to know better might be turned off a bit I suspect. I guess what I'm saying is that, at least in the U.S., discussions of money or references to it are socially taboo. I used to wonder why that was so, but now I just accept it.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:16 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
I'm going nuts. I've looked at this thread several times, logged in and not logged in, and I still can't see the image. What does the card say? Or is it blank, and that's the joke?
Continue to go nuts: The card is not blank but has a splashy colorful background and lettering.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:47 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I remember a divorced guy in his late 40's (I'm guessing) in Houston who had cards made up like:

John Doe, Dispenser of Warm Fuzzies
and his phone number

Truly, this guy was one of the meanest, cruelest people I've ever known in my entire life. He was just plain mean, and everyone avoided him.
He married a friend of a friend of mine (poor sucker became wife #2) and, sadly, she bought his "warm" act for that first year. Then his real personality came out after a couple years and she was in a living hell and talking divorce.
I guess the moral of this is: you can't believe everything you read.

But, personally, I LOVE getting cards with your name and phone number on it and something that will remind me of who you are (a book, a boat, something that jiggles the memory and reminds the person of who you are). I think it's a great idea myself....just don't put "Dispenser of Warm Fuzzies" on the card when you are the meanest person around...ha!
Old 06-17-2010, 08:16 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I made some cards to give to the handful of people at work that I actually might want to hang out with in retirement. They have my cute little blog logo (my avatar) and my personal contact info. My job title is Trout Bum. Seemed easier than writing all that down a dozen times. I won't give them out to just anybody though.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:29 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
There really is a card displayed. If you'd like me to email you an image just PM me with your email address.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFromUtah View Post
Continue to go nuts: The card is not blank but has a splashy colorful background and lettering.
I was finally able to view it on my PC at work. I still can't see it at home on my Mac, though.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:02 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
I was finally able to view it on my PC at work. I still can't see it at home on my Mac, though.
Perhaps someone who has this problem should bring it up in the "Forum Admin" section as this could be a site problem or individual computer setting problems. The picture was posted as a link to TinyPic (free image posting site).