Join Early Retirement Today

Another answer to that age old question ... (?)
Old 06-13-2010, 02:39 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Another answer to that age old question ... (?)

You know the questions like:
Are you retired?
What do you do?

I just thought I could whip out this card:

What do you think? Is it too weird? Other ideas for the wording?

P.S. One can order these cards from Vistaprint.com, 250 cards for $4. There is a huge selection of designs too.
Lsbcal is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2010, 02:58 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

At my former place of employment we made our own business cards using MS Word's application for that, and business card stock which is available anywhere in small amounts. We designed them ourselves. Mine were very standard in appearance with no graphics except the old-time agency logo, but some of my co-workers had cards with a more modern flair.

If you did that then you could make, say, half a dozen different cards saying different things, using your favorite designs, and pull out the one that appeals to you.

Personally, if I made a card it would be more specific and easier to understand. Maybe I'd list my occupation as "Retired Oceanographer", or "Professional Loafer" or something .... But in reality, I have no need for cards.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:20 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Hi W2R, one can download Avery software (DesignPro) and print to Avery card stock. DW does that for her art business cards.

I just thought about this last night after some friendly people we were dining with asked me if I was retired. To this I launched into a somewhat lighthearted attempt at defining my current purpose in life as satisfying my curiosity. Later I thought that having a business card might be kind of cute ... but maybe a little weird too.

Here is a link to Scott Adams blog on the subject of curiosity: Scott Adams Blog: Curiosity 03/03/2010

Quote:
Curiosity is one of the most underrated phenomena in the world. It's ironic that people aren't more curious about curiosity. It's a powerful thing.

For example, if you ever wondered if someone is attracted to you, the answer lies in curiosity. If someone asks personal questions about your past, your plans, your likes and dislikes, that is an unambiguous sign of attraction. If someone tries to steer you into the bedroom without some conspicuous data gathering, that is a sign of simple horniness.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:34 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
Hi W2R, one can download Avery software (DesignPro) and print to Avery card stock. DW does that for her art business cards.
Yes, the Avery card stock is what I was referring to. At work, we were provided with MS Word with which we were to design and make our own business cards. It has a special add-on function for that, like the "make-your-own-calendar" function and other functions of MS Word. I'm sure Avery's software is probably identical.

So anyway, yes, that is what I was describing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal
I just thought about this last night after some friendly people we were dining with asked me if I was retired. To this I launched into a somewhat lighthearted attempt at defining my current purpose in life as satisfying my curiosity. Later I thought that having a business card might be kind of cute ... but maybe a little weird too.
Have you ever had a need or desire to present one? Prior to retirement I thought I would do this after retirement too, but somehow now that I am retired it just seems... well... as you put it, a little weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal
Here is a link to Scott Adams blog on the subject of curiosity: Scott Adams Blog: Curiosity 03/03/2010
Curiousity has been a prime driver in my life. Still, I think that putting it on a business card says a little more than I would want to say, myself, anyway. To me it implies that the person to whom you give the card has no curiousity, so possibly it could be viewed as a little off-putting IMO. Personally I'd choose "Unemployed Bum", "Professional Napper", or something like that, and use that to launch a more in-depth discussion of curiousity. But then, that's just me!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:00 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
...Curiousity has been a prime driver in my life. Still, I think that putting it on a business card says a little more than I would want to say, myself, anyway. To me it implies that the person to whom you give the card has no curiousity, so possibly it could be viewed as a little off-putting IMO. Personally I'd choose "Unemployed Bum", "Professional Napper", or something like that, and use that to launch a more in-depth discussion of curiousity. But then, that's just me!
Nicely put. DW just gave me a strange look when I suggested it to her. Maybe she was being tactful?
Old 06-13-2010, 05:14 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

lsbcal, your non-business card is very attractive, but why would you really need such a prop? I've never had the need for a business card at work, and don't expect to need or want any after retirement.

Most people couldn't care less what I do for a living and I expect they will not care what I do for retirement - unless, that is, they think it may affect their property values. Now, that is the one sure-fire way to make people sit up and take notice.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:49 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I don't think that one will work, here's why: There are a lot of flakey people out there who are in some kind of business, and have a company name like "Curiosity by Design." You ask them what they do, and it takes a while for them to explain it, and you never really understand. Like

"We coach open-minded old souls on how to use cerebrospinal manipulation to improve and satisfy the manifestation of their unfulfilled life curiosity, together with synergy from diversity and vitamin maximization."
Old 06-13-2010, 06:07 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I don't think that one will work, here's why: There are a lot of flakey people out there who are in some kind of business, and have a company name like "Curiosity by Design." You ask them what they do, and it takes a while for them to explain it, and you never really understand. Like

"We coach open-minded old souls on how to use cerebrospinal manipulation to improve and satisfy the manifestation of their unfulfilled life curiosity, together with synergy from diversity and vitamin maximization."
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:24 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm not sure I'd want a "business"card if I were retired, but sometimes it's handy to have cards with your contact info. I run into this when I meet people at my volunteer group. Not that it's that hard to write down email or phone numbers or whatever, but a card makes it especially easy.

My parents, who are FIREd and full-time boaters, got cards for just this purpose. Apparently it's very common in that crowd.

WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:53 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
But in reality, I have no need for cards.
There ya go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WM View Post
I'm not sure I'd want a "business"card if I were retired, but sometimes it's handy to have cards with your contact info.
My parents, who are FIREd and full-time boaters, got cards for just this purpose. Apparently it's very common in that crowd.
There has to be an easier way than entering all those cards into e-mail and cell phone memories.

Like naming your website after your boat...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:25 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WM View Post
I'm not sure I'd want a "business"card if I were retired, but sometimes it's handy to have cards with your contact info. I run into this when I meet people at my volunteer group. Not that it's that hard to write down email or phone numbers or whatever, but a card makes it especially easy.

I had some business contact cards printed up by Vista Print after I retired, and carry a few in my wallet in case I run into someone that wants my contact info AND that I want them to have it! I've found that they do come in handy at times, and it saves the hassle of trying to find a pen & paper to scribble it down on....especially since I quit carrying a pen with me the day I retired!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:54 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have my name and email address (only) on free cards from Vistaprint. I have found them to be very handy when I meet people traveling (but I'm not sure about them yet), or I take a photo of someone for them when they don't have a camera, and neither of us has anything to write with. I call them my non-business cards. It took me a few years to get used to just answering "I'm early retired" when people ask what I do. I used to be embarrassed, now I'm gleeful.
toofrugalformycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:05 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

When I was suddenly out of work in 2008 I printed up some contact/business cards. Found them to be handy so I still keep a few around.

FWIW, if anyone asks what I do once I am FIREd I plan to tell them that I get along by the miracle of the loafs and the fishes. "I loafs and I fishes and its a miracle I make ends meet."

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:51 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
"We coach open-minded old souls on how to use cerebrospinal manipulation to improve and satisfy the manifestation of their unfulfilled life curiosity, together with synergy from diversity and vitamin income maximization."
Fixed...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:13 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Fixed...
You sure? Seemed more plausible as originally stated.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:14 AM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm going nuts. I've looked at this thread several times, logged in and not logged in, and I still can't see the image. What does the card say? Or is it blank, and that's the joke?
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:30 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
You sure? Seemed more plausible as originally stated.
Maximizing the provider's income, not the customer's...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:32 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Maximizing the provider's income, not the customer's...
Old 06-14-2010, 10:23 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

In other words, "I am chick-trolling and I think this bull might help as I have very little else to recommend me. And who knows, some fool might even become a paying client."
Old 06-14-2010, 04:42 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
I'm going nuts. I've looked at this thread several times, logged in and not logged in, and I still can't see the image. What does the card say? Or is it blank, and that's the joke?
There really is a card displayed. If you'd like me to email you an image just PM me with your email address.