Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-21-2016, 08:52 PM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
no, just Austin
.....and suburbs.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2016, 09:01 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I'll bet there are not too many long timers living off Prop 13 left.
Our neighborhood actually has many original owners. Prop 13 has a lock in effect. It is not something to live off of - there's no income unless homeowners rent out their house. It just keeps property taxes from skyrocketing when there is a boom in housing prices.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:07 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Wow, this is a tough list to max out on.

New Orleans is #91. So, according to this study, there are 90 MSA's that are better to have retired in, than here.

Even Springfield, Missouri is only #78.

Honestly, I think the best place to retire ultimately depends on the individual.

Out of the 200 in the list, Rockford, IL is listed as #200. I have never been there but it must be worse than it sounds.
Having lived in those 'gosh darn awful' greater metro areas of Portland, Seattle, Denver and New Orleans aka the suburbs I like where I'm at:

Kansas City.

heh heh heh - of course I usually find a way to like where I'm at beings thats where we live.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:10 PM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Our neighborhood actually has many original owners. Prop 13 has a lock in effect. It is not something to live off of - there's no income unless homeowners rent out their house. It just keeps property taxes form skyrocketing when there is a boom in housing prices.
When we left there in 1990 and sold two homes, the new buyers had to pay property taxes based on 1.25% of their purchase price of the house. Has that changed?
Old 07-21-2016, 09:17 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
When we left there in 1990 and sold two homes, the new buyers had to pay property taxes based on 1.25% of their purchase price of the house. Has that changed?
The exact rate depends on the locality, but I think 1.25% is pretty common for new purchases. I've read the average effective tax rate statewide is .81%.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:51 PM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's not really about overall rank based on a variety of important variables . This guy just ranked places by how hot and humid they are!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-21-2016, 11:34 PM   #67

Another "best places to retire list"

Deleted
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:13 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
Amazing SF Bay Area ranks lower in housing and taxes than the Woodlands.

From what I remember, RE Taxes in Houston are just plain silly.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:17 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
It's not really about overall rank based on a variety of important variables . This guy just ranked places by how hot and humid they are!

number 6 is not humid, at all
Old 07-22-2016, 08:49 AM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

He lost me when he placed Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA higher than Portland Or, maybe he hadn't been to Riverside since the 70's.
alaska55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:58 PM   #71

Quote:
I'll bet there are not too many long timers living off Prop 13 left.

You'd be surprised. Umm, let's see. Chevron in Richmond, and all the other refineries and big land businesses that never were sold. Any property business that didn't change hands is making a killing in California. My family orchard. Because it is all inherited, we pay <0.5% in property taxes. Prop 13 killed the local schools, but was a windfall for the big huge businesses all across the state as well as us landowners who followed inheritance laws. We have a dear friend who inherited his parents' house in Silicon Valley. It's now worth over $1M but he is only subject to property tax based on minimal increases since 1978 allowed by Prop 13.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:58 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
You'd be surprised. Umm, let's see. Chevron in Richmond, and all the other refineries and big land businesses that never were sold. Any property business that didn't change hands is making a killing in California. My family orchard. Because it is all inherited, we pay <0.5% in property taxes. Prop 13 killed the local schools, but was a windfall for the big huge businesses all across the state as well as us landowners who followed inheritance laws. We have a dear friend who inherited his parents' house in Silicon Valley. It's now worth over $1M but he is only subject to property tax based on minimal increases since 1978 allowed by Prop 13.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

My prop taxes in Bay Area are less than half they would be if a new owner took over. Also, if I stay within the same county, or move to a select handful of other counties, I can keep the low prop taxes. That's a one time deal for someone over 55. I can understand the need for prop 13 for regular homeowners but never understood it for businesses, or at least large businesses.

bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:40 PM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
From what I remember, RE Taxes in Houston are just plain silly.
We live in The Woodlands, probably the fastest growing community in the greater Houston area. We pay about 1.75% of assessed value for our personal property tax. We are not taxed on vehicle registrations, and we have no state or city income tax.

One of our homes in Thousand Oaks, Ca was the same size (~2,000 sq ft) as the one we are in now. In TO we paid about $3,000 per year in property tax and about $800/year for the vehicle tax (here in TX the vehicle registration is $60 for a Ferrari). In CA I paid 11% in state tax and ~4% in City of LA tax.

Having lived in both locations for many years in both, I'll go with Texas. But please don't move here as we have enough new residents from CA already. Hey, we even have some Canadians too.

And please do tell me how many Texans you know that have recently moved to California?
Old 07-22-2016, 09:31 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Having lived in those 'gosh darn awful' greater metro areas of Portland, Seattle, Denver and New Orleans aka the suburbs I like where I'm at:

Kansas City.

heh heh heh - of course I usually find a way to like where I'm at beings thats where we live.
Wow, I checked and KC is #112. So it's even more "gosh darn awful" than the other places you lived in. Seems like you and your sweetie are having a wonderful retirement up there, though, so who cares. Same for us with New Orleans.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:49 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And please do tell me how many Texans you know that have recently moved to California?
or Idaho

not many that's for sure

how are those canadians liking the summer?
Old 07-23-2016, 05:51 AM   #76
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
My #1 requirement for best place to live is proximity to family and friends, and all the "best places to retire" lists never factor that in. For me, nice weather and cheaper housing both come a distant second to family and the extensive network of friends that I have developed over the years.
Thank you for saying exactly what I think everytime i see these lists.

I always wonder when some people talk about relocating for retirement why they dont seem to make this aspect a priority.

During my earlier career in business when i would take long term assignments in fabulous locations (think beach front Caribbean all expenses paid for a whole winter one time), I would quickly realize that while i could travel to fabulous weather or locale, it was my family and friends that mattered not the weather or a spectacular city.

My personal thoughts on where i may spend my time is to keep my home base near family and friends and explore extended trips to nice weather or fabulous cities as it suits us.
BeachOrCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:55 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachOrCity View Post

I always wonder when some people talk about relocating for retirement why they dont seem to make this aspect a priority.
DW has no family and I got tired of living in a hot, humid and violent city.

Making new friends is easy. Just join a country club. If I want to visit family it's a 4 hour flight max. No biggie. I'd rather permanently live somewhere nice than constantly sweat and carry a 9mm everywhere I go.

That help?
Old 07-23-2016, 06:25 AM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

I'd shoot myself if I had to live close to my siblings and I'm doubtful DH would remain married to me if I suggested it.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:08 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

When we choose/chose a place to live, we purposely go as far away from family as we can. When we visit, we cannot wait to get home to some sanity.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:10 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
When we choose/chose a place to live, we purposely go as far away from family as we can. When we visit, we cannot wait to get home to some sanity.
We did that as soon as we got married. Why stay around insanity? Our goal was to get as far away from crazy as possible.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote