Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-21-2016, 08:37 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
the best part about #6 is that we don't have to worry about being shot and you can't swing a cat here without hitting a MD
True and you get to experience all four seasons which is nice, most of the time.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2016, 08:45 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnora View Post
True and you get to experience all four seasons which is nice, most of the time.
love the weather here - this is the best summer since I moved from Houston - today...may get a lil hot
Old 07-21-2016, 08:49 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Jackson, MS 34th? I live in central MS, but not there. I would never have thought of Jackson as a top 40 retirement destination. I see where it is ranked high with respect to healthcare and safety. My smallish town has pretty good healthcare, but people here do head to Jackson or Birmingham for specialized care.

I'm happy here. Lot's of good friends I see regularly and play golf with. Cost of living fairly cheap compared to other areas of the country. It is nice to have my coastal condo for an occasional escape.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:56 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Better places to live tend to have higher housing costs. Personally I do not consider higher housing prices a complete deterrent. OK, SFO and NY,NY housing cost not withstanding. But Average RE pricing of between 500k & $750k for a 3bed 2bath 2car garage in a given area, I would consider an indication of a better than average location. In my experience it appears to have been the case anyway.

Also house pricing is subjective. $300k here is a cheap home. I realize that in some places $300k is a nice home in a nicer area. So as usual it is location, location, location.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:07 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Jackson, MS 34th? I live in central MS, but not there. I would never have thought of Jackson as a top 40 retirement destination.
Me either.I grew up there, it's gone down a lot with crime and decay. More like a mini detroit. Plenty of places in MS for retirement but Jackson aint it.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:08 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Better places to live tend to have higher housing costs. Personally I do not consider higher housing prices a complete deterrent. OK, SFO and NY,NY housing cost not withstanding. But Average RE pricing of between 500k & $750k for a 3bed 2bath 2car garage in a given area, I would consider an indication of a better than average location. In my experience it appears to have been the case anyway.

Also house pricing is subjective. $300k here is a cheap home. I realize that in some places $300k is a nice home in a nicer area. So as usual it is location, location, location.
you can get a really kicka$$ place here for $750K
Old 07-21-2016, 09:10 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Texas is Communist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I love it. One more example of why you shouldn't move to Texas - it's a red state, and I'm NOT talking about politics.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:11 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Texas is Communist?
no, just Austin
Old 07-21-2016, 09:16 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

At 112 they list KC KS-MO. Anyone who thinks that these cities are similar to each other(other than weather) has been to neither.

When we moved to the area we lived in one of them, hated it! Multiple moves in that state proved to us it was not for us. Moving 25 miles across the border that fixed how much we despised living in the other state. YMMV
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:47 AM   #50

We all have such unique desires that I think these rankings are sort of meaningless in many ways. However, I occasionally see a city I had not considered so it causes me to investigate. Also, I look for consistency. If a city is consistently at the top of these rankings or consistently at the bottom it probably means something. I prefer being able to input the things that are important to me and seeing what cities are good for me. There is one quiz on the web that does that. I can't recall the name. Wheretolive.com or something like that. Ok, now time for me to turn my day dreaming off and get back to work....
Old 07-21-2016, 09:58 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
Ok, now time for me to turn my day dreaming off and get back to work....
reported for language!
Old 07-21-2016, 11:33 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I love it. One more example of why you shouldn't move to Texas - it's a red state, and I'm NOT talking about politics.
Gawd, are they moving into DFW. Way too many. Traffic gets worse by the day. Hey it's going to be 100 degrees here today. Before you move here, check the weather. Just saying.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 12:32 PM   #53

All way to subjective. Number of golf courses and non stop international flights don't mean much to me.
If it wasn't for the property taxes here I'd be perfectly happy while most would be horrified with the weather.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:36 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
We are 43 in the Thousand Oaks - Ventura area. Actually we live east of Ventura- a little higher and inland, so we do not get the low coastal stratus. That is South Mountain-2000 feet high and the view from our porch

I'm in Thousand Oaks also but I've been here since I was 4 , no need to retire to somewhere for me. It's pretty close to perfect ( for me )

very few places with better weather, I can bike everywhere I need to get to and if I feel the need to travel i can usually get out via Burbank airport which is about as painless as airports go these days ( usually ) housing prices are high at the moment. being a long time resident I had the luxury to was just wait out the market for a real estate trough before buying. Kaiser has been pretty good for me on the health care front.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 12:45 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
All way to subjective. Number of golf courses and non stop international flights don't mean much to me.
If it wasn't for the property taxes here I'd be perfectly happy while most would be horrified with the weather.
I'm in the same state and I am horrified by your weather at times.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:19 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
The Woodlands, TX is where we retired to, ranked 166/200. These days we spend less than half our time there.

Amazing SF Bay Area ranks lower in housing and taxes than the Woodlands.

bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:47 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
I'm in Thousand Oaks also but I've been here since I was 4 , no need to retire to somewhere for me. It's pretty close to perfect ( for me )

very few places with better weather, I can bike everywhere I need to get to and if I feel the need to travel i can usually get out via Burbank airport which is about as painless as airports go these days ( usually ) housing prices are high at the moment. being a long time resident I had the luxury to was just wait out the market for a real estate trough before buying. Kaiser has been pretty good for me on the health care front.

We left Thousand Oaks in 1991 when the drive by shootings started north of T.O.Blvd, and the rental houses had multiple families in them. Of course, north of Houston is not much better except the shootings aren't drive by and there are 2,500 apartment complexes here.

Kidding aside, T.O. was the nicest place we have ever lived.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:49 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
Property taxes are pretty low relative to current housing prices in SF Bay Area for some of us long time owners due to Prop 13.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:49 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post

This alone shows how bad that study is.

Our home here in The Woodlands is worth $250 K and in the SF Bay area (where we have family) you couldn't buy it for $1.5 Mil.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:52 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Property taxes are pretty low relative to current housing prices in SF Bay Area for some of us long time owners due to Prop 13.
I'll bet there are not too many long timers living off Prop 13 left.