Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-03-2009, 08:11 PM   #261
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Ha! You can tell that I have bought only from dealers for the last few decades. If I remember correctly, it was not like that 30 years ago.
I would say it's the new normal, but GH said this back in the 60s:

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2009, 08:33 PM   #262
Give me a forum ...

A quick check on the Web seems to confirm what I thought. That is, there is no sales tax for transactions between individuals. Purchases made from a dealer will incur a sales tax, whether the vehicle is new or used. Note that this is not the vehicle annual licensing tax.

See excerpt below from an AZ Web forum.
I'm not an expert and am only offering my opinion, but to my knowledge, anytime you buy from a dealer you're going to pay the sales tax for state dealer is in unless it's a state like Oregon with no sales tax. In those cases AZ says you owe a "use tax" (like a sales tax) if you purchase it from out of state and did not pay the sales or use tax there. If you bought a used already registered vehicle from out of state private party and had it shipped to you, you'd have to register it right away but probably only the VLT tax applies--you'd have to contact DMV about that. Same thing in AZ when you buy from another private party in AZ a used already registered vehicle and register it in your name, you pay the AZ VLT vehicle license tax (in lieu of personal property tax charged in other states) with the license fee but it is not a sales tax which is separate. Arizona has a good website to go to which you can probably find more info or email a direct question. It's at: Motor Vehicle Division
Boy, I am glad I am a citizen of the "Republic of Arizona".

Old 11-03-2009, 09:01 PM   #263
Give me a forum ...

I am not a kayaker, but have once tried the Hobie Mirage Drive that our friends have. They love it because the propulsion by leg muscles is certainly more powerful than with oars. I agreed. See what you think.

Hobie Kayaks
Old 11-03-2009, 09:44 PM   #264
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
In my search for a motorhome I ultimately gave up buying it privately (Craig's List, EBay, etc.). There was just too much BS to waste my time on.

In the current RV market you can get great prices from over-inventoried dealers, though I am told the prices are starting to rise a bit here and there.
In my shopping for an A-Liner, I've found it's too late to find bargains due to high inventory levels. Dealers have near zero inventory and their web sites carry messages that they won't be bringing in an inventory for next spring. They want you to look at their demo's and have them order you one from the factory. Looks like I could have saved 5% - 10% had I bought one from on the lot inventory last spring........
Old 11-03-2009, 09:49 PM   #265
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Excellent website heyduke! They use inflatable kayaks like I do, their east Texas kayaking sounds interesting and a possibility for this spring. A lot of good information on their website.
a lot of good info... i use to be a biologist for Texas Parks and Wildlife and the places they visit in Texas are worth doing... they really didn't like TX much but if you read their blog it makes more sense..
Old 11-03-2009, 09:51 PM   #266
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
It seems like the majority of KOAs are way too tight for our rig - either driving to the site or the site itself. That's the main reason for avoidance for us and the reason we have marked "never again" on several we stopped at. The park reviews site is pretty good at warning about tightness for larger rigs.

Audrey
...but you look at the numbers and it still cost them less for camp fees than I pay in taxes now for my place in very cheap Texas...
Old 11-03-2009, 11:18 PM   #267
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
In my part of the world, when you register the title, yes...
It's true in my world also.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:43 PM   #268
Give me a forum ...

In Illinois you pay sales tax when you register the title unless you bought from a "close" relative. The price you paid doesn't matter. They have a look up table for the make and model they use to determine the amount. So, if you buy an abused vehicle cheap, you still get stuck for full tax.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:46 AM   #269
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Class C owners, I would like to hear from your experiences. Thx.

The Adventures of Tioga and George

Skylarking
There is another Blog that deserves mention: The Sandcastle. She is quite fun to read when she is on the road but it does bog down between trips.

Or better yet, go to her original website - sandsys.org - and click on "Travel" then on "Camping" and read her account of getting started on their RV adventure.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:37 PM   #270
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Audrey, these reviewers, which include a taller guy, prefer the 370 to the 330 for the extra legroom. The site also talks about the seats: Sea Eagle 370 Sport Kayak
Well, after both DH and I reading a bunch of reviews, we decided to spend another $100 and order the 370 pro package. From various reviews it sounds like it tracks quite a bit better than the 330, and I expect the extra leg room is going to be important for DH. We also decided the upgraded seats were probably important.

Thanks for all the information and help! We can't wait to use it!

I guess this is our Xmas present to ourselves.

Audrey
Old 11-05-2009, 04:22 PM   #271
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Well, after both DH and I reading a bunch of reviews, we decided to spend another $100 and order the 370 pro package. From various reviews it sounds like it tracks quite a bit better than the 330, and I expect the extra leg room is going to be important for DH. We also decided the upgraded seats were probably important.

Thanks for all the information and help! We can't wait to use it!

I guess this is our Xmas present to ourselves.

Audrey
I am sure you will have fun with it. Maybe someday we will meet up on the Bentsen resaca.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:35 PM   #272
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am sure you will have fun with it. Maybe someday we will meet up on the Bentsen resaca.
One of these days! We're sure enjoying Bentsen Palm Village right now - the weather has been fantastic.

This spring (well, late Jan, Feb) we're thinking of going down to the South Florida Gulf Coast. Crowded, yes, but we have to go sometime, and that is really the best time especially for birds. So I don't think we'll be swinging back by the Valley in March.

But that kayak should come in really handy in South Florida!!!!!

Audrey
Old 11-06-2009, 10:24 AM   #273
Give me a forum ...

Here ya go, NW:

For Sale: Sustain Minihome Prototype
Old 11-08-2009, 05:32 PM   #274
Give me a forum ...

I have been busy with work, then spent the weekend working in the backyard with DW. We, or rather I, have been neglecting this "city" home and in the last couple of years, have been spending more time working on our "boonies" home. So, I just logged in now to make this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
There is another Blog that deserves mention: The Sandcastle.
Or better yet, go to her original website - sandsys.org - and click on "Travel" then on "Camping" and read her account of getting started on their RV adventure.
Yes, I read where they went to have their mini-motorhome made to order. That's nice! I have been watching resales of these Sprinter-chassis MHs, but they are too pricey for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Do you suggest I put some axles on this to turn it into a "home on wheels?"

The way I am going to be busy with work for the next several months, and then perhaps into next year, I should stop looking for an RV. My wife has to stay in town to watch over her father anyway. Perhaps I should just save the money I am making now on these jobs to splurge on a nicer RV later, like those Sprinters. I am ready to spend some money, but my wife has been reluctant.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:47 PM   #275
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Do you suggest I put some axles on this to turn it into a "home on wheels?
It was, merely, my attempt at humor.

(nevertheless, I assumed it already had an axle -- or the fitting to slip one on easily.)
Old 11-08-2009, 06:02 PM   #276
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:

The way I am going to be busy with work for the next several months, and then perhaps into next year, I should stop looking for an RV. My wife has to stay in town to watch over her father anyway. Perhaps I should just save the money I am making now on these jobs to splurge on a nicer RV later, like those Sprinters. I am ready to spend some money, but my wife has been reluctant.
I suspect you would be wise to delay - very dissatisfying having an RV sitting around you want to use but are unable to do so due to work.

We made the mistake many years ago of buying a Class C under those circumstances. It became a source of frustration rather than enjoyment and we sold it less than a year later.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:26 PM   #277
Give me a forum ...

While surfing the Web reading about RVer's experience, I again ran across the poor chap who totaled both his truck and travel trailer in a rollover accident. As I wrote before, he blamed it on the grooved pavement of the highway. In anothe post, he claimed to be 10 mph under the speed limit. Do you believe it?

Lady Dog's 2009 RV Misadventure Ends In Disaster - Colorado's Grooved Pavement Did Us In - Good Old RVs
Old 01-28-2010, 11:32 PM   #278
Administrator

Gee, NW-Bound - - - I don't know. I just live in a house and it hasn't rolled over, at least not yet. I am always careful when driving on grooved pavement.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:33 PM   #279
Give me a forum ...

Don't go too fast in your new car though. V6 power? I dunno...
Old 01-28-2010, 11:35 PM   #280
Administrator

Quote:
Don't go too fast in your new car though. V6 power? I dunno...
I was driving it on the Interstate yesterday, and it sure has a lot of zip.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote