Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-22-2009, 10:36 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to learn about your calamity, Audrey. Easier in the telling than in the living, I am sure.

But, safety first and you did the right thing. Now you're not gonna let a little mishap like that talk you into becoming a part-timer, are you?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2009, 12:07 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Sorry to learn about your calamity, Audrey. Easier in the telling than in the living, I am sure.
But, safety first and you did the right thing. Now you're not gonna let a little mishap like that talk you into becoming a part-timer, are you?
I was afraid you were going to ask her what her tire pressures were while all the other warning lights & alarms were going off...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:18 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I was afraid you were going to ask her what her tire pressures were while all the other warning lights & alarms were going off...

Photographic memory for dead threads. Amazing .

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:51 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Uh, no! Such things happen to part-timers too! It's all part of RVing.

Audrey
Old 09-22-2009, 02:16 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

OK WE MADE IT TO WEST MEMPHIS! (Just in case anyone was holding their breath!)

No problems at all driving here. Coach is handling really well. Brake pedal behaved and tires stayed cool. Driving around the south side of Memphis really stunk - ugh! But we made it.

We are now relaxing for a couple of days at Tom Sawyer's Mississippi River Park. This unique RV park is on an otherwise undeveloped section of land inside the levy right along the Mississippi River. Pull forward sites along the river let you watch the barges all day, and there is nothing but wildscape across the river, so it's easy to imagine we're seeing the same views Mark Twain did.

Audrey
Old 09-22-2009, 02:51 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Nice to hear you made it with no further problems.

Your description of the Tom Sawyer park - and the adventure of getting there - is exactly what some friends told us about the place. They said it was a great park but you'd wondered what on earth you were getting into as you neared your destination.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:56 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Nice to hear you made it with no further problems.

Your description of the Tom Sawyer park - and the adventure of getting there - is exactly what some friends told us about the place. They said it was a great park but you'd wondered what on earth you were getting into as you neared your destination.
Exactly my thoughts about West Memphis...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:18 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's gorgeous! We're along a wide curve in the river and the views are impressive.

Audrey
Old 09-22-2009, 03:22 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Glad you made it safely without a flatbed delivery, Audrey! From your comments it sounds like those brakes had been on the fritz for a while--so fortunate that you were able to safely get off the road when you realized they weren't behaving properly.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:27 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Photographic memory for dead threads. Amazing .
I developed my highly selective memory with the reactor-plant-manual versions of Grey's Anatomy and DSMIV...

It was either that or the comment about "I don't know what was happening outside the windshield, but I can tell you what the tire pressures were!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
It's gorgeous! We're along a wide curve in the river and the views are impressive.
If you make sure the airbags are fully inflated and pull forward a little more, could you get the discount version of the RV barge?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:52 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
If you make sure the airbags are fully inflated and pull forward a little more, could you get the discount version of the RV barge?
Probably not and not going to try it! But if you put me on one of those barges I don't think I'd have to worry about height clearance!

That RV Barge looks pretty cool!

Does anyone know how the lower Mississippi barge traffic works? It's dark now and there seems to be a very long string of upriver traffic. Is it one way barge traffic only at certains times of the day? I can't seem to find anything out by searching the internet.

Audrey
Old 09-23-2009, 07:30 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Has your fuel mileage and acceleration improved now that you’re not driving around with the brakes on?
Old 09-23-2009, 08:51 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I'll know better after a while. The thing is that we didn't notice it had really degraded much. Most days we were still getting above 8 mpg which we consider "normal" and on the few we didn't it was either a short run or we had driven through some mountainous or curvy terrain which always drops the mpg. Only on Sunday did the mpg finally seem "off".

The thing is, the problem was very intermittent which is why it was so darn hard to figure out. A week of heavy rains and the resulting high humidity may have contributed to Sunday being worse - there was some corrosion in our brake linkage.

But yes, I'm expecting to maybe get all the way back up to 8.5 mpg now! Especially since we are back on flat terrain.

Audrey
Old 09-23-2009, 02:11 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
we managed to drop another 3 to 4 inches by dumping the airbags.
I presume we're not talking about the safety devices in the steering wheel and dashboard.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:14 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I presume we're not talking about the safety devices in the steering wheel and dashboard.
You are correct. Audrey is referring to the air suspension system.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:41 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You are correct. Audrey is referring to the air suspension system.
Yes, much like the fresh water tank, it is there so that you can boondock for a few days where air is in short supply.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:04 PM   #37

Quote:
Yes, much like the fresh water tank, it is there so that you can boondock for a few days where air is in short supply.
And also like the water system, the limiting factor in how long you can boondock is the size of the waste air tank.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:08 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
And also like the water system, the limiting factor in how long you can boondock is the size of the waste air tank.

And who doesn't have a beginners's story about getting careless and ending up with air all over your shoes.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:17 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Yes! LOL! Unfortunately Class A motorhomes are not equipped with steering wheel/dash safety airbags.

If you look at the close-up side photo of the motorhome on the flatbed trailer (second photo original post), you'll notice that the tires are actually up inside the wheelwells. Like REWahoo said, we have airbags in our suspension system. It's a very nice ride!

A cool part of setting up to camp is the automatic leveling system. You just press the "LEVEL" button twice, and then first the RV "dumps the air bags", lowering the RV with a nice big slow "whoooosh" sound. Then the leveling system detects how out of level you are side-to-side and front-to-back, and then extends the correct jacks to bring each axis to level. It can look real impressive to a newbie neighbor camper who has never seen something like it before.

OK - the rest of you - quit with the "air waste tanks" innuendos - ugh! Yes, handling your own waster water is one of the "downsides" of RVing - something you usually don't have to worry about in a house. This motorhome is not equipped with air waste tanks. But it has impressive waste water tanks. 100 gallons grey water tank and 78 gallon black water tank. Sometimes we are carrying a whole lot of sewage around. We don't even bother to leave the sewer hose connected because it's usually at least 10 days between dumps. 100 gallon fresh water tank also.

Audrey
Old 09-23-2009, 03:17 PM   #40

Quote:
And who doesn't have a beginners's story about getting careless and ending up with air all over your shoes.
Oh yes. Not such a big deal if it happens when dumping the gray air tank, but if it's the black air - look out!