Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-23-2009, 02:22 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You know what the single most dangerous part on a motorhome is?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2009, 02:24 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

The monthly payment.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:26 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
cleaned it up, greased it, added a zerk to grease it in the future.
I always get two.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:27 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
You know what the single most dangerous part on a motorhome is?
Audrey knows: It's the nut that holds the wheel.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:35 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Audrey knows: It's the nut that holds the wheel.
Yep - Al's got that exactly right!

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:30 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
.. it has impressive waste water tanks. 100 gallons grey water tank and 78 gallon black water tank. Sometimes we are carrying a whole lot of sewage around. We don't even bother to leave the sewer hose connected because it's usually at least 10 days between dumps. 100 gallon fresh water tank also.
Audrey
One of the very few things that is less trouble on a cruising sailboat than on an RV is waste water. Grey water just goes right overboard all the time. Once you are three miles out, you can just open the valve for the blackwater.
Really cool places like Key West have a boat that comes around once a week to pump out your tanks for free!
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:34 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Oh yes. Not such a big deal if it happens when dumping the gray air tank, but if it's the black air - look out!
Is this one of those "pull my finger" tricks?
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:36 PM   #48

Quote:
But it has impressive waste water tanks. 100 gallons grey water tank and 78 gallon black water tank. Sometimes we are carrying a whole lot of sewage around.
Thus revealing another reason I fear the consequences of a front blowout resulting in a high speed collision with another vehicle. But then I suppose there would be some small conciliation in the validity of my final exclamation.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:36 PM   #49
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post

And who doesn't have a beginners's story about getting careless and ending up with air all over your shoes.

They sell special protective shoes for this instance, I am certain.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:43 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I always get two.

Oh, you are killing me! Actually made me laugh instead of attempting to murder the beancounter that rejected my expense reimbursement because I screwed up the travel date by one day.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:51 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
They sell special protective shoes for this instance, I am certain.
Uh - unfortunately no!

I would love to see someone outside their RV wearing a contamination suit while they dump their tanks. Just in case! Wouldn't that be a hoot!

Disposable Coverall Splash Contamination Suit

Audrey
Old 09-23-2009, 09:58 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Uh - unfortunately no!
I would love to see someone outside their RV wearing a contamination suit while they dump their tanks. Just in case! Wouldn't that be a hoot! :rofl:
That's ridiculous. I've sloshed around in sanitary tanks that are eight foot high and ten feet square with just regular ol' coveralls and a pair of rubber boots. I don't think even NAVOSH goes that far today.

Of course I was also vaccinated for hepatitis, tetanus, diptheria, and typhoid. But that wasn't for the tanks-- it was for my shipmates...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Broadside troubleshooting sanitary systems.jpg (42.1 KB, 1 views)
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:40 PM   #53
Administrator

Quote:
Uh - unfortunately no!

I would love to see someone outside their RV wearing a contamination suit while they dump their tanks. Just in case! Wouldn't that be a hoot!

Audrey
Now that begs an interesting question... How much would you tip or pay to have your tanks dumped? A staffed dump station might be an interesting side line for a park host.....
Old 09-24-2009, 08:17 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Now that begs an interesting question... How much would you tip or pay to have your tanks dumped? A staffed dump station might be an interesting side line for a park host.....
I suspect many RVers would love to pay for such service. It's always been "self-serve" as far as I have ever seen.

Heck, we'd gladly pay to have someone else pump our diesel! It was really nice in Oregon when we pulled into a non-truck stock and had a gas attendant do the pumping.

Well - there is a dump service where a "honey wagon" truck will come by and pump out your waste tanks. These are sometimes available in areas where people do a lot of boondocking and there is no dump station available. A famous one is Quartzite AZ which is some wild free BLM winter camping/carnival/flea market "RVers Woodstock". Something we have absolutely no desire at all to witness in person even though fellow RV owners seem to think it's great. Free Quartzsite BLM RV Camping

But as I've never been in this situation I have no idea what kind of tipping ettiquette there is.

Audrey
Old 09-24-2009, 09:58 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I think most of us shoveled more than enough of that stuff during our working years...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:10 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I think most of us shoveled more than enough of that stuff during our working years...
And they don't even issue coveralls and rubber boots...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:04 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Well, believe it or not, we experienced a sequel!

We got to Little Rock, AR with no apparent problems. Beautiful weather and very nice camping. We decide to stick around for a week as the weather forecast was looking fabulous. Planning to return to Kerrville TX (our home base) after the nice break.

The day before we get ready to leave, we realize one of the front wheels is leaking brake fluid! Arrrrrrrgh! Obviously some fallout from overheating our brakes - one of the seals was damaged after all. But it sure was a delayed failure.

It was a Friday, and it took all sorts of scrambling including 12 phone calls to find a place that would take care of us - a Kenworth Truck facility. And of course, nothing available until Monday, which meant we had to wait out the weekend. Top off with brake fluid so that we could "make it" to the service facility.

Got to the service facility OK Monday morning. It took all of Monday and part of Tuesday morning to figure out the part number, and then two more days just to get the part - they had to jump through all sorts of hoops. After three nights spent boondocking at the service facility, we got the part, thank goodness it was the right one, they fixed us up, and we finally got out of there mid-afternoon, after which we made a beeline for TX (checking several times, of course, that everything was operating properly).

Interesting place to spend several nights. You would not believe the kinds of things that come in on big tow trucks in the middle of the night! You never knew what might be backing in right next to you at 3 a.m. But seriously, this is not the first time we've had the experience of "living" at a commercial truck service facility.

So we are back in Kerrville where we planned to be 5 days ago. Drove 410 miles today (which is a really long one for us) including several hours of rain to make up for at least one day lost.

This is the downside of owning an RV. Of course they always break at the most inconvenient times, you might have to wait around for several days, and sometimes it can be a real bear to get something fixed!

The service place (MHC Kenworth in Little Rock, AR) did a great job even though they spent 3 hours on the phone getting the part. And we are really lucky they were willing to help us out, as they rarely work on motorhomes. Not being at full capacity probably helped too - one "upside" for an economy in recovery.

OK, so all please keep your fingers crossed that we have no more issues with our brakes!

Audrey
Old 10-09-2009, 09:12 PM   #58

Audrey, I sure hope you're done with brake problems. What a PITA...

Is Buckhorn 'home'?
Old 10-09-2009, 09:27 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Audrey, I sure hope you're done with brake problems. What a PITA...

Is Buckhorn 'home'?
Yep! That's it!

And I forgot to mention that this little job cost 4X our original repair - ouch!

Audrey
Old 10-09-2009, 10:55 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

How old is your motorhome?

How often do you experience such inconveniences?

RVing is no longer appealing to me. I hate to be stuck anywhere unplanned. I would be all stressed out dealing with mechanical problems as I and my wife both are clueless when it comes to anything mechanical.

Hope it does not happen again.

mP
Disappointed is offline   Reply With Quote