Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-01-2009, 02:43 PM   #201
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Well - DH learned how to program those maps himself a few years ago based on Google maps. I'll get the link from him where he's posted the code on some user forum.
Thank you... in advance.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2009, 02:59 PM   #202
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Well, we tend to be drawn to the western US and only visit GA because we have family there.

But one of these years we'll spend going up New England and into the Maritime Provinces of CA - all the way to Newfoundland if we can.

Audrey
If I ever make it to Newfoundland I'm gonna go the extra ten miles and visit France.

Saint-Pierre and Miquelon
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:27 PM   #203
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Thank you... in advance.
First of all - if you create an account on the Google Maps page, you can customize and save your own maps and routes and make them available for public viewing if you want. I thought it was worth mentioning that first as no actual coding is involved.

Here is the info from my husband about what he does:

Here is the Google Map code documentation.
Google Maps API Concepts - Google Maps API - Google Code

Here is a simple example that I posted on the map forum. It uses routing code which is limited to 25 points. Our maps draw a polygon which has not point limit. I don't have an example of the "Where" code posted. The "Where" code on our Map Years and our Where pages are in a semi-compiled state on our web site. The real source code is kept on my computer.
Google Maps API - Route from Waypoints Example (route_waypoints.html)

Hope that helps!

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:58 PM   #204
Give me a forum ...

In my earlier post today, I mentioned that we wanted to go look at a class C. Well, the owner was not home. So, perhaps during next week.

RV sales appear to be slow here. There are some sales all right, but on eBay so many auctions ended up below seller's reserves. The ones that got sold have been usually below blue book values. The only ones that got sold FAST and ABOVE blue book are Rialtas. I observed this phenomenon on eBay, RVTrader, and Oodle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerblue View Post
My DW would NEVER live in a rig full time and the jury is still out on how long she could live in it at any one time. If you are married, YOU MUST HASH THIS OUT IN GREAT DETAIL WITH YOUR SPOUSE!
Yes, I know that I need to get my wife to "buy into" this. I always have her with me when out looking at RVs. I also have been telling her about gray/black tanks, the need to conserve resources when boondocking, etc... One thing we share is the love of travel, and if I am doing all the driving and wrestling with the drain hose, she will come along. I need my sweetheart with me. And she would be afraid I might pick up a companion along the trek.

Same as yours, my wife would not want to be an RV full-timer. That's OK, because I do not either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
NW, if I were you, I would go rent a Class C for several days or a week to see how you like the experience.
Please see my answer below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
An excellent idea! If possible, spend a couple of weeks with it. We owned a Class C motorhome in the 80s and really enjoyed it. It was fairly easy to get around even in heavier traffic. It's nice to be able to pull over and use the bathroom or get a snack without stepping outside. It was a pain to unhook everything at a campground to go exploring, but that issue would be solved with a "toad".
Yes. I am thinking the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerblue View Post
A BIG reason I like our 26 foot LD is that we can get into the out of the way forest service campgrounds and the like that Class A's can't. I'm not a big fan of RV resorts and only stay there once in a blue moon. I much prefer staying in pristine backcountry with hiking, fishing and like opportunities away from civilization. I get enough of that in the stick house setting.
We went out to look at small TTs and agreed that we like something bigger for long treks. Larger TTs may stress my SUV. I definitely would not buy a big truck just for a tow vehicle. That leaves the class C as most appealing, and the price of used ones is so reasonable I wonder what I am missing.

Class Bs have the allure of simplicity, i.e. no toad. However, there are cons. They command higher prices. There are fewer used ones to choose from. They are geared towards 2 persons, and my children might want to join us sometimes.

About renting to try out, I have read that one needs a longer time than a weekend to see if it would work. Now, we have gone to CruiseAmerica to look at their class Cs. The rental fee is not cheap! For a month's rental, I figure I can buy a used one, and if it does not work out, sell it and suffer a smaller loss than the rental fee for a month. Of course that is from a novice's viewpoint because selling one may not be all that easy.

We have spent a bit of time inside several class Cs and "know" that we will like it. I am really torn between a longer one of 28ft or shorter ones of 23-25 ft. I am quite familiar with the general floorplans now. The difference is the longer ones have room for a sofa, while the shorter ones have to settle for an easy chair. There are some slight variations between makers, but not a whole lot; one cannot make room out of nothing. For me, a sofa is important. I like to read, and read while laying down. Will I be happy giving that up? Why not just get the long class C? The debate is on inside my head because the shorter one can be kept at my city home, while the long one must be kept up in my boonies home. My cheapskate nature does not like to pay for RV storage.

So, by researching, studying, reading blogs, visiting dealerships, I slowly learn what would work for us. Mistakes might still be made, but at least I am making attempts to avoid them.

Our travel style is such that we must have a toad. Here's an example. The last time we were in Seattle, which was the 6th or 7th vacation we had been there, we drove to Snoqualmie Falls and took a hike to the bottom of the fall. We spent time to walk along Green Lake and did a bit of people watching. We went to Discovery Park for a walk, and happened to observe a Pow Wow at the Indian Center inside the park. As described earlier, we have plenty of "nature" at our boonies home and do not avoid humanity when we travel. We will need a toad to get around.

Future travel will be different in that we will return to our "home on wheel" at the end of the day, instead of a hotel room. And I certainly hope travel by RV will be cheaper, which allows us to go for longer trips than in the past.

Many pleasures in life are free. However, it costs money to get to and to stay there. An RV should help.

Quote:
No way would I ever use a dolly! It's an extra piece that you gotta store while camping. I'd say hassle factor would be really high.
This is the argument I read time and time again against a dolly. I wonder why. Is a tow dolly that burdensome? Or is it because it can be stolen? I thought it is neat to be able to tow any front-wheel-drive car with the same dolly. Flat-towing should be simple, I thought, but then Andy had a bit of trouble with his setup. Have you looked at his blog?

Hankster, thanks for the link on RV towing. I did not realize the towing brake can fail and cause much grief. Also, it appears that the use/non-use of braking system on the toad has been a source of contention among RV'ers. Gee! I hate to think what would happen if they start to talk politics. Oops. We used to talk politics here too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
If I ever make it to Newfoundland I'm gonna go the extra ten miles and visit France.

Saint-Pierre and Miquelon
That's neat. Here's another oddity. Look on the map for Point Roberts, Washington State, 98281.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:33 PM   #205
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
This is the argument I read time and time again against a dolly. I wonder why. Is a tow dolly that burdensome? Or is it because it can be stolen? I thought it is neat to be able to tow any front-wheel-drive car with the same dolly. Flat-towing should be simple, I thought, but then Andy had a bit of trouble with his setup. Have you looked at his blog?
Is a tow dolly that burdensome? It must be, because you really don't see them that much, and they seem to be used more by snowbirds - folks who are generally going to one destination for long period, so don't use the dolly that much.

I haven't read Andy's blog. You don't hear much about people having trouble with their tow setup (other than forgetting to do something like release the parking brake, or having trouble with the tow bar - which is why you inspect it regularly and keep an eye on the tow in the rear camera). A lot of people seem to choose vehicles that are "designed" to be towed. But I see a lot vehicles that must have been modified as well, and the owners didn't seem to think that was a big deal either.

Audrey
Old 11-02-2009, 05:41 AM   #206
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
There might be a third and much smaller group: people like Steinbeck who make a long-distance trek but in a relatively short amount of time. Will I fit in that class? I do not see myself becoming an RV full-timer. I like to travel to remote locations, but then must return to my permanent place from time to time to resume some navel gazing. However, I hope to make more than one trip (I think Steinbeck never made another RV trip after Travels with Charley and died a few years later).

The more I think about it, the more a class C like George's Tioga or Andy's Lazy Daze makes sense for my purpose. It would give us enough room, conveniences, and comfort, while not being overly large like a class A that would limit mobility. Add a car behind that class C and it would be complete.

Class C owners, I would like to hear from your experiences. Thx.

The Adventures of Tioga and George

Skylarking

Interesting following your thread here on your thoughts about buying a class c... I too am going thru the same mental issues and have read the miranda blog above... thanks for the other class c blog link as I have plenty of time to read and research too...
Old 11-02-2009, 05:46 AM   #207
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hope that helps!
Again, thank you very much.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:30 AM   #208
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I haven't read Andy's blog. You don't hear much about people having trouble with their tow setup (other than forgetting to do something like release the parking brake, or having trouble with the tow bar - which is why you inspect it regularly and keep an eye on the tow in the rear camera). A lot of people seem to choose vehicles that are "designed" to be towed. But I see a lot vehicles that must have been modified as well, and the owners didn't seem to think that was a big deal either.

Audrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyduke View Post
Interesting following your thread here on your thoughts about buying a class c... I too am going thru the same mental issues and have read the miranda blog above... thanks for the other class c blog link as I have plenty of time to read and research too...
I recommend Andy's website. He is a good writer and there is a lot of good information on his site. He wanted to install his own brake system. The system he ordered, which would have allowed him to do that, did not fit in his Honda Fit. So, now he has to go for a professional installation.

His story of early semi retirement is interesting as well. He retired on not much money and a very small pension. He needs to supplement his income to get along. He does that through web site development and some other ventures that he has experimented with. I am thinking about purchasing his rv'ing hints and tips ebook as I like his clear writing style and excellent illustrative photography.

I have a LazyDaze as well so I am especially interested in what he has to say about his life in a LazyDaze.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:58 AM   #209
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I recommend Andy's website. He is a good writer and there is a lot of good information on his site. He wanted to install his own brake system. The system he ordered, which would have allowed him to do that, did not fit in his Honda Fit. So, now he has to go for a professional installation.

His story of early semi retirement is interesting as well. He retired on not much money and a very small pension. He needs to supplement his income to get along. He does that through web site development and some other ventures that he has experimented with. I am thinking about purchasing his rv'ing hints and tips ebook as I like his clear writing style and excellent illustrative photography.

I have a LazyDaze as well so I am especially interested in what he has to say about his life in a LazyDaze.
a similar story can be found at the rv dreams site...
Old 11-02-2009, 02:23 PM   #210
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
a similar story can be found at the rv dreams site...
Excellent website heyduke! They use inflatable kayaks like I do, their east Texas kayaking sounds interesting and a possibility for this spring. A lot of good information on their website.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:42 PM   #211
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This thread can be turned into a book!

I have no desire to RV (uh, well, maybe just a teensy bit now), but have enjoyed reading your posts. Thanks for allowing me to RV vicariously.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:21 PM   #212
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
I have no desire to RV (uh, well, maybe just a teensy bit now), but have enjoyed reading your posts. Thanks for allowing me to RV vicariously.
Same here-- I don't mind living/camping/boondocking in an RV-- it's the driving & maintenance/repairs that I don't care for!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:40 PM   #213
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Interesting following your thread here on your thoughts about buying a class c... I too am going thru the same mental issues and have read the miranda blog above...
Well, it's Audrey's thread which I might have inadvertently hijacked because of my current obsession about RV. I don't think Audrey would mind though.

I started thinking about RV last year, shortly after discovering this forum. It was in the following thread that I stumbled across Martha's mentioning of Andy Baird's blog: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ons-19087.html

Besides being an good writer and illustrator, and apparently a nice man, Andy looked like a "geek" (in a good way), and that appealed to me. By reading his blog from the beginning, I followed his learning process about full-time RV'ing. Yes, he managed to ER and enjoyed life on not much money. I agree wholeheartedly with Martha that Andy's blog makes good reading and there's a lot to learn from his Web site.

I have read that "George and Tioga" is one of the most followed blogs on RV. He even shared what he earned from the ads on his site ($1K/month). I enjoyed his early posts where he was learning the rope about RV'ing.

By the way, I did a bit of research on travel trailer towing, and would like to share some videos I found about the peril of towing without proper equipment, undersized towing vehicle, or improper center of gravity. Going to and from my boonies home in the AZ high country, I have been passed on a hilly highway by aggressive drivers of pickup trucks towing a TT, and with their TT wagging like a dog tail behind them. I did not understand why they did not feel or see the TT swaying behind them. Were they so excited about being able to pass other cars that they were oblivious to the imminent danger they posed to themselves and other cars?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:27 AM   #214
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Same here-- I don't mind living/camping/boondocking in an RV-- it's the driving & maintenance/repairs that I don't care for!
Well, for me it's all of that PLUS the purchase prices are pretty heady for someone like me.

Believe it or not, there actually is an advantage provided by having an RV that appeals to me despite all my comments on the forum through the years. That is that if the electricity, plumbing, A/C, roof, or something else fails in my home, the RV parked in the back yard could function like a "spare house", so to speak, and I would still have my creature comforts while waiting out the storm or whatever had caused the problem and waiting for someone to come and fix it. Now that aspect of RV'ing is one that nobody has mentioned, but it seems nice to me. It isn't enough to get me to actually buy an RV, but it is an advantage.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:34 AM   #215
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Well, for me it's all of that PLUS the purchase prices are pretty heady for someone like me.

Believe it or not, there actually is an advantage provided by having an RV that appeals to me despite all my comments on the forum through the years. That is that if the electricity, plumbing, A/C, roof, or something else fails in my home, the RV parked in the back yard could function like a "spare house", so to speak, and I would still have my creature comforts while waiting out the storm or whatever had caused the problem and waiting for someone to come and fix it. Now that aspect of RV'ing is one that nobody has mentioned, but it seems nice to me. It isn't enough to get me to actually buy an RV, but it is an advantage.
That is a definite consideration for us. If we had had the camper when we did the kitchen rennovation it would have been a lot less painful. And if we lose power during teh winter and have no heat, it will be a night spent in the camper with the heat on.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:05 AM   #216
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post

Not only that - but you could get the heck outta Dodge if that nasty weather was coming and go somewhere nicer, taking a bunch of your creature comfort stuff and pets with you!

Audrey
Old 11-03-2009, 08:07 AM   #217
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Not only that - but you could get the heck outta Dodge if that nasty weather was coming and go somewhere nicer, taking a bunch of your creature comfort stuff and pets with you!

Audrey
Good point! And definitely something to consider.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:16 AM   #218
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
That is a definite consideration for us. If we had had the camper when we did the kitchen rennovation it would have been a lot less painful. And if we lose power during teh winter and have no heat, it will be a night spent in the camper with the heat on.
We had this happen a few times when our rural power line went down during cold weather. We just made up the bed in our travel trailer, fired up the propane furnace and fixed dinner in our much smaller, yet cozy second home on wheels.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:23 AM   #219
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Excellent website heyduke! They use inflatable kayaks like I do, their east Texas kayaking sounds interesting and a possibility for this spring. A lot of good information on their website.
We've been talking about Kayaks. A lot! Maybe we should try this Sea Eagle type first - it certainly is a fairly low cost entry point.

Audrey
Old 11-03-2009, 08:31 AM   #220
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
By the way, I did a bit of research on travel trailer towing, and would like to share some videos I found about the peril of towing without proper equipment, undersized towing vehicle, or improper center of gravity. Going to and from my boonies home in the AZ high country, I have been passed on a hilly highway by aggressive drivers of pickup trucks towing a TT, and with their TT wagging like a dog tail behind them. I did not understand why they did not feel or see the TT swaying behind them. Were they so excited about being able to pass other cars that they were oblivious to the imminent danger they posed to themselves and other cars?
I think that this is much ado about nothing. Towing is like everything else: idiots will do what idiots do; the rest of us will read up as necessary and do it safely. I don't know squat about towing, but have had no problem figuring it out and doing it safely. Of course, I actually gave some thought to matching my trailer to my tow vehicle and learned what to do to keep it safe. If you decide to skip that stuff, you take your chances.

In short, I do not find towing to be much of an issue even with a tow vehicle that isn't really designed for heavy duty towing (minivan).

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote