Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-08-2016, 06:42 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
It's getting so that I won't even read this type of article any more, because you have to click on the forward arrow to find the next city - - in other words, click 26 times to get the full list. Maybe they make money for each click? I don't know. But I also don't know why they can't just list the cities on the first page and then let you click on the name of any particular city if you want more details.
A type of very common click-baits is a photo of a scantily-clad or, ahem, well-endowed woman. Did the bait work? I am not going to claim the fifth, but will say that the ruse only worked once, when it was quickly discovered that the next photo took sooo long to come up.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2016, 10:00 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
+1
And I kept looking for the town where I live and it never shows up. Not even close.

I read these articles and went to websites for about 10 years before we retired as I looked for the ideal place to live considering taxes, cost of living, weather, population diversity, proximity to military base and universities, outdoor activities, etc. Then I realized it was all here at my little house within a couple of minutes walk to the beach. I had been here all along since I started out in '73.
+1

We were sure that we were going to move away as soon as we retired. Then we realized that we are pretty happy right here.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:42 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I always read the articles on "best places." Rarely agree with top picks, but that's because they typically weight the pros and cons on a basis that doesn't account for my preferences. For instance, my adopted home is way more expensive to live than where I retired. However, it does have the climate and amenities I prefer. Oddly, taxes (though a hodgepodge) are lower for retires than many average places. Go figure. In any case, personal preferences trump most of the stated categories for most of us, but YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:22 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
I'll join in the praise for springfield MO. DW is from there, her parents are still there, and some of our closest friends have relocated to live and practice medicine there. Only problem is air service. If and when SWA starts serving the city, we'd probably consider it again--although it would be hard to leave Nashville.
I agree with what you say about Nashville--or at least the suburbs and counties around Nashville. When I was transferred to Atlanta (from Nolensville), we were quite disappointed.

The quality of life in Middle Tennessee is just so good. They area has beautiful lakes and lush hills. Unfortunately, housing prices are getting out of sight since we left our 6 bedroom house with a $570 payment. We're 2 hrs. south of there with a sunset 6 mile waterfront view on the fabulous Tennessee River.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:27 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Here's the list sans the pretty photo of each and the verbiage about why each made the list:

Abilene, Texas
Apache Junction, Arizona
Athens, Georgia
Bella Vista, Arkansas
Blacksburg, Virginia
Bluffton, South Carolina
Brevard, North Carolina
Cape Coral, Florida
Clermont, Florida
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Columbia, Missouri
Corvallis, Oregon
Fargo, North Dakota
Grand Prairie, Texas
Largo, Florida
Lexington, Kentucky
Lincoln, Nebraska
Meridian, Idaho
Mount Airy, North Carolina
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
San Marcos, Texas
Smyrna, Tennessee
Traverse City, Michigan
The Villages, Florida
Walla Walla, Washington
Thank you sooo much! I don't have the time nor the inclination to click through 26 individual web pages. I am NOT a fan of click-through-click-bait.

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:40 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Apache Junction, AZ is #2 on the list? Who would have thunk?

It's about 35 miles from my home. I thought my neck of the woods, er, desert, is far superior. Can't tell anybody about it though. It's getting more and more crowded ever since we moved here 30 years ago.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 07-09-2016, 11:48 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Apache Junction, AZ is #2 on the list? Who would have thunk?.....

NW - the list was by alphabetical order, but still I agree - who would have even thunk that Apache Junction was in the top 25 retirement spots? Maybe the bottom 25.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:59 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Well, be careful in what you say though. I knew someone who had a mini-mansion there (I have not seen it), so there are new developments I do not know about even though I consider myself an Arizonan, having lived here for more than 4 decades.

Old 07-09-2016, 12:05 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe I shouldn't be too critical of Apache Junction. I've only been there about 10 times - and every time on the same route. So I haven't seen the whole town. But I don't intend to either. Now if Fountain Hills, Az was on the list, I would have no problem with that.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:09 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Forty years ago when I came into town, Fountain Hills was already there and growing. I have not visited the town for many years now, and wonder if it got too crowded.

Old 07-09-2016, 12:21 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

You all can have Arizona all to yourselves. When we were looking for a retirement destination, I unilaterally removed the entire state of Arizona from our consideration because my ex lives there.

Old 07-09-2016, 12:27 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

But he has moved to Nawlins for the food, I heard. You may run across him one of these days during your lunch excursion.

Old 07-09-2016, 12:30 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
But he has moved to Nawlins for the food, I heard.
Naw, he hates New Orleans! If he ever even visits, you'll know the end of the world is nigh. And that's wonderful, to me - - I love having several thousand miles between us so I don't have to worry about running into him like that. He can have Arizona all to himself.

Old 07-09-2016, 12:34 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

But you don't know his whereabout. And people change. He may be tired of the dry heat here, and misses the Cajun food. How can you be sure he will not come back?

Old 07-09-2016, 12:47 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
NW - the list was by alphabetical order, but still I agree - who would have even thunk that Apache Junction was in the top 25 retirement spots? Maybe the bottom 25.
I find these lists to be so silly - if you compared them all, I'm confident every city in the USA would come up as being in the Top 25 at some point.

I even saw Detroit listed a couple of years back, primarily due to 'it's terrific real estate prices.' Um, yes . . . for a reason.
ElizabethT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:49 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
But you don't know his whereabout. And people change. He may be tired of the dry heat here, and misses the Cajun food. How can you be sure he will not come back?
That's about as likely as the sun rising in the west. Believe me, Arizona is forever crossed off of my list of potential retirement destinations (even if I was still considering moving, which I am not).

Old 07-09-2016, 12:49 PM   #37
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
NW-Bound - the way you are playing with W2R, I can almost imagine you as siblings

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:55 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
NW-Bound - the way you are playing with W2R, I can almost imagine you as siblings
+1

True, I used to joke around like this with my brothers sometimes too.

Old 07-09-2016, 12:57 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethT View Post
I find these lists to be so silly - if you compared them all, I'm confident every city in the USA would come up as being in the Top 25 at some point.

I even saw Detroit listed a couple of years back, primarily due to 'it's terrific real estate prices.' Um, yes . . . for a reason.
Yes, the cities that make these lists really amaze me! The first time I saw such a list, I took it seriously. But in the years since, I have noticed that they are completely inconsistent.

Old 07-09-2016, 12:59 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethT View Post

A while back, I was fascinated by the unbelievable demise of the city, so spent a day surfing the Web, looking at photos, stories, youtube videos. There were so many homes in decay, and some I could still imagine how they looked back in their glorious past.

It is so sad, although I have never lived or even been there. I intend to at least drive through the area at some point, but the occasion has not arisen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I was not playing. W2R was so cocky sure about her ex's location, so it just made me wonder.