Join Early Retirement Today

Another Study on Early Retirement
Old 10-20-2005, 06:59 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Another Study on Early Retirement

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051020/hl_nm/retirement_dc

I dont know why these companies do these or if I would trust their findings.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Another Study on Early Retirement
Old 10-20-2005, 07:07 PM   #2

"They found that people who retired at 60 and 65 years old lived to similar ages but those who stopped working at 55, some for health reasons, had higher mortality rates."

Maybe many of the people in the study who "retired" at 55 did so because of poor health to begin with. If at age 55 you had cancer and had only a year or less to live, would you keep working, or would you "retire early?" Then if you died at 56, did you die because you retired early?
Old 10-20-2005, 07:11 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

In a similar but unrelated study, they found that those who drank drain cleaner had more stomach problems than those who did not.

Old 10-20-2005, 07:19 PM   #4

It's true, early retirement will shorten your lifespan. We tend to fall off of ladders during remodeling projects.

Seriously, though, there's no real reason to think that working or not working should make a difference. The leading cause of death in this country is heart disease. There's not much evidence that stress from work leads *directly* to heart disease, but if work stresses you out, and you eat more, excercise less, and get fat, then you're at a higher risk.

Those of us in ER who lose weight and exercise will probably have a lower incidence of heart disease.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 07:48 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

During 1970's the debate to legalize recreational drugs, one wag noted that nearly 100% of pot smokers drank milk as a child... Therefore milk should be identified as a 'gateway' drug.
Ol&#039; Rancher<br /><br />I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by the end of the day, I feel lucky if I&#039;ve gotten less than half of it done.
Ol_Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 09:08 PM   #6

I have always heard, that if you retired before 65 or after 65 you were better off. Something about that number 65 that makes you feel worthless. Don't know if any stats prove it, just something a guy told me at work. BTW: He's dead now.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 07:13 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Certainly if you retire early and have no hobbies,* don't exercise and get fat, become depressed because your home alone, you will probably add to the higher mortality rates. Unfortunately that is what happened to my brother. He retired at 50 and died at 56 with cancer. Obviously anyone can die of cancer, some of the most fit people ever were doomed with the diease due to their genetic makeup. But I have to believe that if you stay active in retirement, eat properly, and are generally happy in your life, you have a much better chance of maintaining a good immune system and living a long fruitful life.

I will retire in a little over a year and really look forward to it. I love the outdoors and plan to play plenty of golf and travel. Love the simple things like taking the dog on long walks. I can't worry about statistics. All I can do is lead a balanced life and hope for the best.*
Old 10-21-2005, 07:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
I have always heard, that if you retired before 65 or after 65 you were better off.* Something about that number 65 that makes you feel worthless.* Don't know if any stats prove it, just something a guy told me at work.* BTW:* He's dead now.*
Eagle43: *Old "pharts", and 18 year old girls just "want to have fun". *

Worthless? * Heeeeeel yeah, which is part of the fun.
Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 07:40 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

This was done by the Shell Oil company.* I would like to see the actual study.* I smell a rat here and it looks to be another scare tactic to keep people working until age 65.* That is fine with with if that is what one wants to do, but to scare people into it from either a financial or health perspective is just plain wrong.* :

Old 10-21-2005, 10:59 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
This was done by the Shell Oil company.
The Boeing data was contaminated by a similar problem-- the ERs usually retired for medical reasons.

What we need is a study by a company with a high proportion of "Take this job & shove it" ERs. Or at least one where the medical ERs aren't counted in the totals...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 11:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
In a similar but unrelated study, they found that those who drank drain cleaner had more stomach problems than those who did not.
And another medical study showed that taking drain cleaner after a full meal helps with the digestion and cleans your intestines at the same time.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
And another medical study showed that taking drain cleaner after a full meal helps with the digestion and cleans your intestines at the same time.*
That's sort of true. The reason the nutritional guidelines include soluble fiber is because the stuff forms a sludge in your stomach, slows down digestion, increases bile acid secretion (drano), and cleans you out.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:56 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Sort of like the FDA announcing that saliva, when swallowed in small quantities over an extended period of time, may cause stomach cancer. :

Old 10-21-2005, 01:09 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

An effect of early retirement vs traditional retirement age on mortality was memtioned somewhere above. As far as I know our mortality rate is 100 %.

Average age at death is another matter entirely, affected by numerous factors.
polloloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 02:24 PM   #15

Aside from the previously mentioned bias of people with health problems retiring early and skewing the results, what about this:

People who retire at any age without a clue as to what to do with their lives die faster, because they are relatively stressed and miserable. (Often true also with people whose spouse dies -- they die in disproportionate numbers in the first year or two because of the stress and change to their lives.)

Early retirees and those planning to ER like those on this board spend a lot of time thinking about what to do in ER, why they would want to do it, and make a gradual transition into it. We sidestep the 'die because you have nothing else to do' problem. However, the average Shell Oil early retiree is ERing because s/he has a heckuva good pension plan and maybe even gets a company incentive to retire early to clear out the dead wood. He/she hasn't invested time in doing the necessary transitional and planning stages well (on average), and so represents an at-risk group.

Bottom line: If you're going to ER, you need to get here to early-retirement.org and start reading and posting. This life transition takes time to get you and a spouse on board with.

Final thought: if you had marginal finances (most DIY ERs) and were bored of ER, you'd just go back to work. If you have a rock solid Shell Company ER plan and get bored of ER, you may be less likely to go back to work, (you don't feel any economic benefit from it) and that just makes matters worse..

Maybe this is all a stretch, but I do think these studies need to try to figure out a link between who has planned for ER vs who just had it thrust upon them. Then see if there is a mortaliity difference. I believe there have been similar studies done for traditional retirees along these lines, showing that comrehensive retirement planning, undertaken over many years, pays big dividends, maybe even longer life expectancy.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:27 PM   #16

Bob, I just thought of a good blurb for your cover jacket:

"Reading this book could save your life!"
Old 10-21-2005, 02:46 PM   #17

Wab
Don't let the marketing guys at Nolo get ahold of this!

btw book is supposed to be at Nolo's warehouse on Tuesday 10/25, and then will get sent off to Amazon etc, so pre-orders should be filled by around the first of Nov.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:48 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

The best ER advice is simply "take one day at a time".

Don't worry about yesterday, and tackle tomorrow's problems when you wake up.

Check the bottom of this post.
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote