Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-08-2009, 09:50 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I guess ***** got the number wrong...

"He whose name cannot be written..."

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2009, 10:24 PM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

Count me among the semi-retired, although I retired from the Corp. ~ 2 years ago at 55. DW and I knew we would probably have to make a little on the side to, how shall I put it, improve our chances longterm. After 6 months completely retired I floated my availability to a few folks back at the old Corp. I was able to pick and choose what I would like to help them with and have enjoyed the single focus/non multi -tasked result. The last two years I have worked as a independent contractor for ~ 300 hours per year, performing those tasks I used to enjoy and absolutely not participating in the bureaucracy and non-productive B.S. that killed my enthusiasm prior.

This is not the ultimate situation I had originally planned for, but fairly painless compared to the drop in nestegg value since Oct 07 (coming back however) and has kept us from having to seek full time employment.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:34 AM   #23
Confused about dryer sheets

TargaDave, it sounds like you have really figured out the true meaning of semi-ER! Kiteboarding looks like so much fun and to be able to make cash while doing it is fantastic.

When we first decided to pull the plug we told everyone we were "taking time off". Our time off lasted 3 years -- we were able to sail leisurely from RI to Grenada and had a fantastic time. When the economy started to slide we got nervous and came back to work for the past year or so...we will finish our contract next Friday. After that we will be "semi-ER'd", taking months off at a time for sailing/travel and returning to work during the hurricane season (June-November). I just wish I could be as passionate about my part-time j*b as you are about kiteboarding. (Computer programming = lucrative, but "meh").

You are really in a beautiful part of the country...we sailed through the Outer Banks area a few years ago and it was incredible! Glad you started this thread, it is nice to hear all the various lifestyles that can be incorporated into the definition of semi-ER.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I would consider myself as semi-retired. I am a long time IT Contractor ( SAP & Oracle skills ), and really now just do projects I can transition to remote work.

For example. A couple months ago I was interviewing with one of those type A+ NYC types bragging about his unpaid overtime and long long hours. Told him flat out that I wasn't interested and tried to hang up politely. He spent the next 10 minutes backpeddling, but the damage was done.

The IT market is improving of late, and I figure I'll land a 3 month gig soon. Actually, working about 3 months out of every 12 would be fine. Still have a 17 and 19 year old to feed.

Every so often. a dream project comes up where the work and working conditions are pretty much ideal. These you ride as long as you can. But if there is nothing on the go, I golf , cycle and play hockey.

I am a Canadian, so health care is pretty much a non issue.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:27 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

I semi-retired 2 years ago at age 47. I wasn't certain that I had enough put away - at the time, I would have been able to live on a WR of < 3%, but because I was relatively young and have to buy my own health ins. for many years, I wanted to supplement with part-time work. I worked in high-tech for 25 years and now I do something, part-time, that is completely different (but fun and pays well). I average 10-15 hours per week and make about enough to cover my expenses.

Having that job is probably what kept me sane as the stock market tanked right after I left megacorp. Overall, everything has worked out really well.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:28 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

oh. and I would say that being FI is a major component of being semi retired. Otherwise, you are just underemployed or a slacker. Not that there is anything wrong with being a slacker.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:21 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I "retired" in January after w***ing as a scheduler for a surgeon. A friend asked me if I wanted to help out 2 mornings a week in the local florist shop when she heard that. I'm glad I accepted her offer as it gets me out and into town a little. It was quite different having all that free time, so helping in the flower shop was a good thing for me. I'm learning to relax now and I guess I'm semi retired
Old 10-09-2009, 07:00 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
In a stunning and hopefully unrelated coincidence, Liz Pulliam Weston just managed to destroy most of her journalistic fact-checking credibility with this article on ERs:
Retired by 50: Where are they now? - MSN Money

Yes, that guy.

The comments are giving her some heat about the other profiles because she's calling them "retired" when even "semi-retired" may be overly generous.
Saw that.
Fact checking? Waz zat?
Old 10-09-2009, 07:02 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Before I retired, I thought of some part-time w*rk to increase my IRAs. Then I realized I would rather sell a kidney.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:17 PM   #30
Administrator

In 31 days I will retire from my job and I have no plans to EVER work another hour for anybody or any organization. Going back to work due to financial need after having retired sounds like an absolute nightmare.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:58 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

A while ago I cut back my responsibilities and hours drastically at work as planned and as already mentioned on this forum. I went from a VP at my company to a skunk-works R&D guy. The work is very satisfying as I have designed and programmed a small robot that many people in my field are drooling to get their hands on. Now that I did the fun stuff, I will get others to build and sell these things while I move on to another project I've thought up.

As for rewards, my former neighbor & colleague won a Nobel prize this year and a former student of mine won a Nobel prize in a different category this year. That's the second time a student of mine has won a Nobel. At least I didn't stamp out the creativity, ingenuity and work ethic of these folks. It's rewarding being around some very, very smart people.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:54 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's great to hear some of these positive part-time stories. I guess the thing about ESRBob's advice that intrigued me was that FI gives you the ability to evolve your part time work into something you really enjoy, not just the activity but the hours you keep, people you work with, etc. Of course pay rate isn't often the top priority. This year was a test to see how I liked teaching kiteboarding. Next year will be a test to see how I like doing it more independently (using my own jet ski and kites). Probably even work on getting my 6-pack license this winter.

Also tried my first neighborhood handyman job (painting, tree removal, fence mending) and it was a blast. Very happy customer. I just put an ad in Craigslist to make use of my DIY experience. Could I do it all the time? No way, but as occasional variety to the water stuff it fits just right.

Amandupsk, I've always admired the live-aboarders as being pioneers in longterm semi-ER with a very clear sense of purpose. I guess being connected to the water is more than just a hobby for some of us, it becomes a way of life. The OBX is a beautiful area but the skinny water presents a real challenge to deeper draft sailboats. Some video cam segments of havin fun kiting. Definitely not broadcast quality but sort of gives and idea of how this AARP card caring member has fun on a windy day. Cheers! -Dave

Old 10-10-2009, 09:55 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
In 31 days I will retire from my job and I have no plans to EVER work another hour for anybody or any organization. Going back to work due to financial need after having retired sounds like an absolute nightmare.
That's exactly where I was seven years ago. I had every intention of never, ever, working for a paycheck again since the retirement income covered everything we needed and then some.

But I found that I can only go fishing so much, build so many model airplanes, walk/hike/bicycle and so on. We're not much after travel except for occasional day trips, DW keeps busy with family issues, and the extra income allows us to build up the savings/investments to a more comfortable level and some toys like the motorcycle. There's no such thing as too much in the bank!

However we are careful to not get too used to the increased income. Three-quarters of it is going to savings since we know this job will end someday. Or DW may find a job she likes... who knows?

And although for the moment this part time job has turned full time, it promises to be part time soon, and if not I do have the option of quitting. That makes all the difference in the world.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:04 AM   #34
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
That's exactly where I was seven years ago. I had every intention of never, ever, working for a paycheck again since the retirement income covered everything we needed and then some.

But I found that I can only go fishing so much, build so many model airplanes, walk/hike/bicycle and so on. We're not much after travel except for occasional day trips, DW keeps busy with family issues, and the extra income allows us to build up the savings/investments to a more comfortable level and some toys like the motorcycle. There's no such thing as too much in the bank!

However we are careful to not get too used to the increased income. Three-quarters of it is going to savings since we know this job will end someday. Or DW may find a job she likes... who knows?

And although for the moment this part time job has turned full time, it promises to be part time soon, and if not I do have the option of quitting. That makes all the difference in the world.
A couple of retired former co-workers visited my work last month. They looked so relaxed and stress free, but they are both doing consulting. I told them that I had no plans to do that, and they said, "After six months you are going to get bored! Just wait - - you will end up doing some part time consulting, too." I can't possibly imagine getting bored in ER, but if I do, I guess will just play it by ear.

I am really glad that you have found a happy solution for your semi-retirement.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:02 PM   #35
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave View Post

Some video cam segments of havin fun kiting. Definitely not broadcast quality but sort of gives and idea of how this AARP card caring member has fun on a windy day. Cheers! -Dave
Very cool videos Dave! I know DH would love to try something like this. So you are jumping over land masses in that first one? Wow, better not screw up! LOL!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:22 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

For me semi-ER feels a bit like a half-way house for recovering Type As. The stress and management responsibilities are gone, but you can still do something fulfilling. I'm having much more fun and I have a far greater sense of accomplishment than I had for a number of years.

I retired thee years ago. It was glorious and I certainly was not bored. Four months later I was asked to do some consulting three days a week for a couple of months or so. Two and a half years later I'm still there and totally hooked on the project.

Much as I love the work, it just isn't leaving me with enough time for everything else. I'm gradually ramping down the number of hours and I do think I'll completely retire when this project is successfully deployed.

Money isn't really a consideration but I must admit it has been nice to be able to cover expenses and continue to add to savings during the recession.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:46 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Going back to work due to financial need after having retired sounds like an absolute nightmare.

I agree that having to return to work would be awful but most of the posts if not all of them are from people who enjoy part time work . I know it sounds silly but I really enjoy my ebay gig . I don't do it for the money though the money is nice . The money just pads my fun category and actually paid for new family room furniture and kept me from jumping off my seawall when the market was in free fall . Everybody does different things in retirement and working part time is one of them . My Sister and a lot of my friends just spend their retirement in clubs (red hats ,card clubs ,luncheons ,etc.) Frankly that for me would be the absolute nightmare !
Old 10-10-2009, 05:34 PM   #38
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

TargaDave, Thanks for starting this thread.

I semi-ER'd in May '08 though we called it an indefinite sabbatical. We felt that we were FI, but the recent downturn is putting us onto a high-risk trajectory.

Working part-time or on a contract basis doing something I like seems to be the ideal way to reduce our withdrawals. I'm looking into a couple of such opportunities and am hopeful that they'll work out.

Thanks to all for your wonderfully encouraging posts.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:17 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Working part-time or on a contract basis doing something I like seems to be the ideal way to reduce our withdrawals. I'm looking into a couple of such opportunities and am hopeful that they'll work out..
The nice thing about contract work is that there is an end date that you control. My last gig, I was happy to finish up as soon as I could. The gig before that was 3 months, and was extended multiple times. The w@rk was great, the social life was outstanding. Unfortunately, the recession hit and ended it all. But it was nice to get back to the retirement side of semi retirement as well.

As I mentioned earlier, I find 3 month contract terms work for me. After that , my adult ADD kicks in
Old 10-11-2009, 06:59 AM   #40

Great videos Dave!

Kiteboarding looks like a blast, but having to jump islands would land me in the hospital.