Any active semi-ER posters/lurkers?

oh. and I would say that being FI is a major component of being semi retired. Otherwise, you are just underemployed or a slacker. Not that there is anything wrong with being a slacker.:cool:

I "retired" in January after w***ing as a scheduler for a surgeon. A friend asked me if I wanted to help out 2 mornings a week in the local florist shop when she heard that. I'm glad I accepted her offer as it gets me out and into town a little. It was quite different having all that free time, so helping in the flower shop was a good thing for me. I'm learning to relax now and I guess I'm semi retired:)

In a stunning and hopefully unrelated coincidence, Liz Pulliam Weston just managed to destroy most of her journalistic fact-checking credibility with this article on ERs:
Retired by 50: Where are they now? - MSN Money

Yes, that guy.

The comments are giving her some heat about the other profiles because she's calling them "retired" when even "semi-retired" may be overly generous.

Saw that.
Fact checking? Waz zat?

Before I retired, I thought of some part-time w*rk to increase my IRAs. Then I realized I would rather sell a kidney.

In 31 days I will retire from my job and I have no plans to EVER work another hour for anybody or any organization. Going back to work due to financial need after having retired sounds like an absolute nightmare.

A while ago I cut back my responsibilities and hours drastically at work as planned and as already mentioned on this forum. I went from a VP at my company to a skunk-works R&D guy. The work is very satisfying as I have designed and programmed a small robot that many people in my field are drooling to get their hands on. Now that I did the fun stuff, I will get others to build and sell these things while I move on to another project I've thought up.

As for rewards, my former neighbor & colleague won a Nobel prize this year and a former student of mine won a Nobel prize in a different category this year. That's the second time a student of mine has won a Nobel. At least I didn't stamp out the creativity, ingenuity and work ethic of these folks. It's rewarding being around some very, very smart people.

It's great to hear some of these positive part-time stories. I guess the thing about ESRBob's advice that intrigued me was that FI gives you the ability to evolve your part time work into something you really enjoy, not just the activity but the hours you keep, people you work with, etc. Of course pay rate isn't often the top priority. This year was a test to see how I liked teaching kiteboarding. Next year will be a test to see how I like doing it more independently (using my own jet ski and kites). Probably even work on getting my 6-pack license this winter.

Also tried my first neighborhood handyman job (painting, tree removal, fence mending) and it was a blast. Very happy customer. I just put an ad in Craigslist to make use of my DIY experience. Could I do it all the time? No way, but as occasional variety to the water stuff it fits just right.

Amandupsk, I've always admired the live-aboarders as being pioneers in longterm semi-ER with a very clear sense of purpose. I guess being connected to the water is more than just a hobby for some of us, it becomes a way of life. The OBX is a beautiful area but the skinny water presents a real challenge to deeper draft sailboats. Some video cam segments of havin fun kiting. Definitely not broadcast quality but sort of gives and idea of how this AARP card caring member has fun on a windy day. Cheers! -Dave

YouTube - Slick3

In 31 days I will retire from my job and I have no plans to EVER work another hour for anybody or any organization. Going back to work due to financial need after having retired sounds like an absolute nightmare.

That's exactly where I was seven years ago. I had every intention of never, ever, working for a paycheck again since the retirement income covered everything we needed and then some.

But I found that I can only go fishing so much, build so many model airplanes, walk/hike/bicycle and so on. We're not much after travel except for occasional day trips, DW keeps busy with family issues, and the extra income allows us to build up the savings/investments to a more comfortable level and some toys like the motorcycle. There's no such thing as too much in the bank!

However we are careful to not get too used to the increased income. Three-quarters of it is going to savings since we know this job will end someday. Or DW may find a job she likes... who knows?

And although for the moment this part time job has turned full time, it promises to be part time soon, and if not I do have the option of quitting.:) That makes all the difference in the world.

That's exactly where I was seven years ago. I had every intention of never, ever, working for a paycheck again since the retirement income covered everything we needed and then some.

But I found that I can only go fishing so much, build so many model airplanes, walk/hike/bicycle and so on. We're not much after travel except for occasional day trips, DW keeps busy with family issues, and the extra income allows us to build up the savings/investments to a more comfortable level and some toys like the motorcycle. There's no such thing as too much in the bank!

However we are careful to not get too used to the increased income. Three-quarters of it is going to savings since we know this job will end someday. Or DW may find a job she likes... who knows?

And although for the moment this part time job has turned full time, it promises to be part time soon, and if not I do have the option of quitting.:) That makes all the difference in the world.

A couple of retired former co-workers visited my work last month. They looked so relaxed and stress free, but they are both doing consulting. I told them that I had no plans to do that, and they said, "After six months you are going to get bored! Just wait - - you will end up doing some part time consulting, too." I can't possibly imagine getting bored in ER, but if I do, I guess will just play it by ear.

I am really glad that you have found a happy solution for your semi-retirement.

Last edited:
Some video cam segments of havin fun kiting. Definitely not broadcast quality but sort of gives and idea of how this AARP card caring member has fun on a windy day. Cheers! -Dave

Very cool videos Dave! I know DH would love to try something like this. So you are jumping over land masses in that first one? Wow, better not screw up! LOL!

For me semi-ER feels a bit like a half-way house for recovering Type As. The stress and management responsibilities are gone, but you can still do something fulfilling. I'm having much more fun and I have a far greater sense of accomplishment than I had for a number of years.

I retired thee years ago. It was glorious and I certainly was not bored. Four months later I was asked to do some consulting three days a week for a couple of months or so. Two and a half years later I'm still there and totally hooked on the project.

Much as I love the work, it just isn't leaving me with enough time for everything else. I'm gradually ramping down the number of hours and I do think I'll completely retire when this project is successfully deployed.

Money isn't really a consideration but I must admit it has been nice to be able to cover expenses and continue to add to savings during the recession.

Going back to work due to financial need after having retired sounds like an absolute nightmare.

I agree that having to return to work would be awful but most of the posts if not all of them are from people who enjoy part time work . I know it sounds silly but I really enjoy my ebay gig . I don't do it for the money though the money is nice . The money just pads my fun category and actually paid for new family room furniture and kept me from jumping off my seawall when the market was in free fall . Everybody does different things in retirement and working part time is one of them . My Sister and a lot of my friends just spend their retirement in clubs (red hats ,card clubs ,luncheons ,etc.) Frankly that for me would be the absolute nightmare !

TargaDave, Thanks for starting this thread.

I semi-ER'd in May '08 though we called it an indefinite sabbatical. We felt that we were FI, but the recent downturn is putting us onto a high-risk trajectory.

Working part-time or on a contract basis doing something I like seems to be the ideal way to reduce our withdrawals. I'm looking into a couple of such opportunities and am hopeful that they'll work out.

Thanks to all for your wonderfully encouraging posts.

Working part-time or on a contract basis doing something I like seems to be the ideal way to reduce our withdrawals. I'm looking into a couple of such opportunities and am hopeful that they'll work out..

The nice thing about contract work is that there is an end date that you control. My last gig, I was happy to finish up as soon as I could. The gig before that was 3 months, and was extended multiple times. The w@rk was great, the social life was outstanding. Unfortunately, the recession hit and ended it all. But it was nice to get back to the retirement side of semi retirement as well.

As I mentioned earlier, I find 3 month contract terms work for me. After that , my adult ADD kicks in :D

I guess I consider myself semi-ER'd - I intersperse the Reserve stuff with my consulting business which is definitely < half-time. It keeps me in the 'game' mentally - what I find interesting is I'm now thought of as one of the 'mentors' in my professions, so the interaction is limited but can be rewarding. Experience is invaluable at times. I'm just holding onto the Reserves to see if I make the next rung on the ladder - if so, three more years at a very limited involvement and then truly retired. As for the consulting, we'll see. So far, it's been very interesting and rewarding.

Husband is still full-time - however, we're looking at 2-7 more years - depends on where they send us....

There's probably more ESR chatter here than you think TargaDave when you consider the broad band of lifestyles that ESR encompasses.

Very true, but I sense there is still a wee bit of a stigma cast on those who choose the semi-ER approach which in turn suppresses some of that chatter. All forums tend to develop these subtle biases, just the nature of the beast. Hopefully most people ignore any biases and simply choose what is right for them. Maybe that was part of the purpose of this thread.

So you are jumping over land masses in that first one? Wow, better not screw up! LOL!

Exactly what my wife had to say!:cool:

Very true, but I sense there is still a wee bit of a stigma cast on those who choose the semi-ER approach which in turn suppresses some of that chatter....Hopefully most people ignore any biases and simply choose what is right for them. Maybe that was part of the purpose of this thread.
Yes, just a "wee bit" ;). I think it's in direct proportion to how much the dispenser hated his/her pre-FIRE job.

But at least for me, it's all been in good fun and I'll miss the back-and-forth when I finally do retire. In fact, I may choose to FIRE and not tell anyone :whistle:.

But seriously, I do think that there are unique issues for those of us trying to juggle this decision while holding down full-time jobs which provide considerable non-financial rewards and benefits. In fact, it might be interesting to have a new forum or subforum for "Part-time FIRE Issues."

Maybe the mods and Andy can discuss.

I was FIRE for 3 months and then luckly enought to get an offer @ a University, free tuition for my three High School kids! I work alot less hours now compared to when I was in corporate and the pressure is not market driven but rather internal. So people are much more flexible. While I am still FI, I work now because I enjoy it and ultimatly my kids will benifit. I figure this is good for ~ 8yrs. In 8yrs I am will be 55 my SO and I plan to sell the house, rent an appartment in the Berkshshire mountains and travel 6 months of each year.

I too use Bob's book, his and the Boogleheads are my ER bibles.

Methinks kiteboarding has the potential to retire a person early. From the gene pool. Its done on snowboards as well?!
Well, every activity tends to have it's calculated risk takers and it reckless knuckleheads. That vid was defenitely the latter category.

Interesting factiod; Only one kiteboarding fatality in the OBX since the sport has been around and yet we get a record number of ocean drownings by vacationers every year. Most often it's out of shape, overweight, sometimes intoxicated, middle aged everyday people jumping into a serious ocean like it was their back yard pool. These are often the same pool of people who think kiteboarding is very hard and dangerous. Darwin does not discriminate!

I too love my work, but...

I think every discussion board could benefit from more stories about satisfying work. There just don't seem to be enough stories to go around...

I planned to semi-retire about a year ago, but as my income declined I had to re-calibrate. I love my work, and yet can handle the workload in probably 2-3 days a week. So, I have decided to take Friday-Monday off now, and then add a day every 6 months if I am able to keep up with my work (self-employed, with no employees). I also read Clyatt’s book about a year ago and got very inspired. That, plus Tim Ferriss’s book, really triggered my imagination about ‘what could be’, and helped me get out of my rut. I am 61, and wish I had done it earlier!

I will be starting a web-based business later this fall, which should give me added options for travel while still getting my work done. In addition, I plan on taking a cross-country motorcycle trip in fall 2010. That, plus getting a passport and burning my 175,000 US Air miles, are also on my ‘hit list’.

Seems to me that semi-retirement is about the best of both worlds, although I realize a lot of people may not have have that option (unless your employer is really flexible, or you work for yourself…). So, I count my blessings while moving into the next phase of my life!

Well, every activity tends to have it's calculated risk takers and it reckless knuckleheads. That vid was defenitely the latter category.

Interesting factiod; Only one kiteboarding fatality in the OBX since the sport has been around and yet we get a record number of ocean drownings by vacationers every year. Most often it's out of shape, overweight, sometimes intoxicated, middle aged everyday people jumping into a serious ocean like it was their back yard pool. These are often the same pool of people who think kiteboarding is very hard and dangerous. Darwin does not discriminate!

It's hard to find decent statistics, but it appears there have been 6 drownings in the OBX this year. I suspect if you compare the percentages of swimmers to drownings and the percentage of kiteboarders to deaths it won't be that far off. A tiny fraction of a percent is the same either way. I'm not putting down kiteboarding by any stretch, I just get curious when statistics are tossed out there like this. By the way, one of the 6 drownings was apparently due to a shark attack :eek:, so I'm not sure if that counts in our comparison.

Edit: Found this just after posting. Kiteforum.com • View topic - Kiting Fatality Analysis, 2000 - 6/2006 Looks like kiteboarding is safer than driving. Almost everything is. :LOL:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom