Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Any advice / experience in Washington State
Old 09-03-2005, 09:36 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
We could start an ER commune in Washington state. UncleMick and "the women" could come. Brat, Sheryl, Carolyn, UncleMick's women, and I could live lives of leisure. Greg could cook.
I'm game for it! But if all the women folk are going to be bossy, I want the commune on the top of a big hill.

--Greg

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2005, 09:47 AM   #22

Quote:
We could start an ER commune in Washington state.* UncleMick and "the women" could come.* Brat, Sheryl, Carolyn, UncleMick's women, and I could live lives of leisure.* Greg could cook.*
Someone else to cook
I'm IN!

My Greg doesn't cook, but he'll be handyman.

Old 09-03-2005, 09:50 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor
Yakima and Ellensburg are near the top of my list. I am also looking at
near the Columbia River and OR border, such as Walla Walla, Goldendale,
or Longview/Kelso.
Yakima and Ellensburg are hot, dry and isolated.... IMHO - as another poster said, Wenatchee is a nice town. Have you ruled out the West side?
Old 09-03-2005, 10:02 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
Someone else to cook
I'm IN!

My Greg doesn't cook, but he'll be handyman.
I don't know if you want me to cook. Right now I'm on a bean binge. Would we have separate living quarters, sort of a quiet place to go if we felt it neccesary to be alone? Well, maybe not such a quiet place.

--Greg
Old 09-03-2005, 02:53 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
CyclingInvestor:small
to mid sized towns, I initially looked at North Central and North East WA, but the winters looked too tough (for year-round cycling), even though the houses and land values were great.
The problem with the OR/WA coast (except for Bandon) is that it is cool and rainy in the winter and cool and foggy when the valley is hot in the summer.* Go over the the Coast Range and it is cool /rainy (~week with snow) in the winter; east of the Cascades it is really cold in the winter; hot in the summer and dry.* The classic town for cyclests is Eugene.. but it is in Oregon.*

In the weather in Sequim is moderate and relatively dry, but it is rather out of the way.* Bellingham should also be on your list of places to consider.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:24 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We could start an ER commune in Washington state.* UncleMick and "the women" could come.* Brat, Sheryl, Carolyn, UncleMick's women, and I could live lives of leisure.* Greg could cook.*
Damn Martha, you are planning a hippie commune with all that implies, and I who need it more than anyone, am not invited?* Cruel and unusual punishment from where I sit. I will be talking to my attorney.*

Ha
Old 09-03-2005, 07:53 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_y
I'd also take a look at Wenatchee, a bit farther up the Columbia in WA.

Dry, 4-season climate in the beautiful orchard country, great outdoor recreation nearby
Wenatchee is on my list also, but it is a bit further from civilization (major airport)
than I like. I am also looking at the more western areas, but it is much tougher
finding good housing values there. Here is an excellent example of the values
in Goldendale, $27500 for 8 acres and a 1 room "house" :

http://accessdb.net/GetReal-Estate/G...IdSelected=707

and I beg to differ with Brat, but Corvallis is the classic cycling town
(although Eugene is also nice).
Old 09-03-2005, 08:13 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Wenatchee is on my list also, but it is a bit further from civilization (major airport)
than I like.
Wenatchee is beautiful with lots to do, wonderful summer weather and passable winter weather. Perhaps to illustrate some of the disadvantages of small, non-university towns, Wenatchee achieved national fame 10 or 15 years ago with a child sex witch-hunt that (supposedly) involved forcing children to have sex with dragons along with other oddities.

I believe all the convicted folks were eventually pardoned or had their convictions reversed. The town and local authorities fought tooth and nail to keep them in prison.

I used to hunt elk outside Wenatchee, as well as go trout fishing in the Methow to the NW of Wenatchee.

I wouldn't live there even if someone gave me a house. IMO, educated people should stay the hell out of cracker strongholds. Even if you are not looking for like minded company, the tone of a place can get oppressive.

HaHa
Old 09-03-2005, 08:33 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Wenatchee is beautiful with lots to do, wonderful summer weather and passable winter weather. Perhaps to illustrate some of the disadvantages of small, non-university towns, Wenatchee achieved national fame 10 or 15 years ago with a child sex witch-hunt that (supposedly) involved forcing children to have sex with dragons along with other oddities.

I believe all the convicted folks were eventually pardoned or had their convictions reversed. The town and local authorities fought tooth and nail to keep them in prison.
Yeah, I am leery of small non-university towns for reasons like that, but I don't rule them
out completely. My own first CA town of Manhattan Beach went through a similar
debacle (remember the McMartin trials? - searching for secret underground chambers,
animal sacrifices, etc), but it was still a nice place to live in 1980.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:16 PM   #30

Quote:
Damn Martha, you are planning a hippie commune with all that implies, and I who need it more than anyone, am not invited? Cruel and unusual punishment from where I sit. I will be talking to my attorney.

Ha
Haha: I'm the negotiator in the family. So what do you bring to the table besides salsa lessons? Do you have any skills in growing . . . umm . . . different forms of higher quality plant materials? Do you have seeds? Can you keep the groupies that will be attracted to my bean dishes happy and content--after they have eaten? Can you make apple wine from real apples, not just frozen juice? Many skills--besides 'the salsa'--will be needed. But we do have an armpit band for dancing. This could be better than the '70s--more like real life. Got cow?

--Greg
Old 09-03-2005, 10:22 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON
Got cow?
Greg, don't know if Ha's got cow, but here's where you can get (more) bull..

http://bulls4u.net/

REW

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 11:39 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

CyclingInvestor..* *That is not to say that Corvallis is bad, but Eugene is the place to be.* You must factor in the fact that I am a Duck (University of Oregon grad for those out of the area).* The advantage is that the communities are in close proximity.* My understanding is that Corvallis housing is less expensive.* Either way you will never lack for something to do.

Generally speaking living in a community with a strong public school system or a University supports not only home values but also cultural activities.*

If Oregon is still on your list McMinnville, home of Linfield College, is worth a look.* It isn't the sleepy town it was 15 years ago.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:27 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline
I'd LOVE to be near the water -- maybe somewhere on the Olympic Peninsula.
Bummer, I just sold one of my investment properties, and it would have been perfect for you. No-bank waterfront about 5 minutes from the Southworth ferry with a view of the Space Needle. Sold it to a SoCal couple.

The Southworth area of Port Orchard is probably still your best bet if you want to be near the water with a "reasonable" trip to Seattle and a "reasonable" price tag. Although, if you're willing to rent, a downtown Seattle condo might not be a bad idea. I lived in Belltown for a couple of years, and it had a lot of advantages. I'd walk into downtown, walk to the waterfront, bike to Magnolia and Queen Anne, and if I had to drive somewhere, it was only a minor nightmare.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:12 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
CyclingInvestor.. That is not to say that Corvallis is bad, but Eugene is the place to be. You must factor in the fact that I am a Duck (University of Oregon grad for those out of the area). The advantage is that the communities are in close proximity. My understanding is that Corvallis housing is less expensive. Either way you will never lack for something to do.

Generally speaking living in a community with a strong public school system or a University supports not only home values but also cultural activities.

If Oregon is still on your list McMinnville, home of Linfield College, is worth a look. It isn't the sleepy town it was 15 years ago.
Yeah, I would love to live in OR, but unless they repeal the income tax, its off to WA. I
have most of my money in an IRA, and have alot of SEPP / Roth conversion to do before
I move to an income tax state. Eugene is my 2nd favorite town in OR though, a tough
admission for a Beaver to make.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:44 AM   #35

Quote:

I used to hunt elk outside Wenatchee, as well as go trout fishing in the Methow to the NW of Wenatchee.

I wouldn't live there even if someone gave me a house. IMO, educated people should stay the hell out of cracker strongholds. Even if you are not looking for like minded company, the tone of a place can get oppressive.

HaHa
What do you have against "crackers"? Try them with smoked oysters........

JG
Old 09-04-2005, 06:45 AM   #36

Quote:
than I like. I am also looking at the more western areas, but it is much tougher
finding good housing values there. Here is an excellent example of the values
in Goldendale, $27500 for 8 acres and a 1 room "house" :

http://accessdb.net/GetReal-Estate/G...IdSelected=707

and I beg to differ with Brat, but Corvallis is the classic cycling town
(although Eugene is also nice).
I see a lot of talk about Eugene (know it well), but not much about
Bend. Howcum?

JG
Old 09-04-2005, 07:42 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Damn Martha, you are planning a hippie commune with all that implies, and I who need it more than anyone, am not invited? Cruel and unusual punishment from where I sit. I will be talking to my attorney.

Ha
You can come and clean.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 10:55 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

As a native who has travelled much, I find Oregon and Washington some of the best places in the world. I wish I could afford to live there.

Warning #1: Be aware that west of the Cascades (local north-south mountain range) it rains a lot. More some places, less others, but winter can be depressing. SADS was "invented" in the Pacific NorthWest. Summer begins July 5, and a good thing, too. On the 4th of July all the kids love to shoot roman candles into the woods. It is much better if it rains that day.

East of the Cascades, less people, more sun (300 days a year, more or less), lower cost of living, more rednecks. Bring your own job.

Bellingham: My home base. Wife and kids live there; I have to work around the world and get to come home to visit sometimes. Warning #2: DAMN LITTLE WORK IN BELLINGHAM. If you can't bring it with you, forget it. Or become an independent contractor and sell drugs on Railroad Ave.

Also, if you want to retire in B'ham, come before you register for Medicare. The local health care industry will not take new patients already on Medicare. You have been warned.

Did I mention that it rains?

Not to discourage anyone, of course. It is retirees are who are moving to B'ham and supporting the housing market. Y'all come! Buy my house so I can move to Mexico.

Gypsy
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 11:42 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

It is true that Oregon has an income tax, I used to budget 6% of my gross.* However Washington has a significant sales tax, a little over 8%.* My take on taxes is that for a given level of service the cost will be taken out of your hide one way or the other.* The two exceptions in the west are Alaska and Wyo who live on resource taxes.*

From a taxation POV which to choose depends on wheter or not you are buying stuff, or if you anticipate significant taxable income.* CycleInvestor, if you move to WA and* convert your regular IRAs to Roths, then move to Oregon you chould have the best of both worlds (withdrawing from a Roth is not a taxable event).*
Old 09-04-2005, 12:07 PM   #40

Quote:
Warning #1: Be aware that west of the Cascades (local north-south mountain range) it rains a lot.
Unless you're in the Olympic rain shadow, like Sequim:

Quote:
Washington has a significant income tax, a little over 8%.
I think Brat means sales tax, which also applies to some services (such as contractors).