Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-01-2008, 08:51 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We downsized about 2 years ago--moving from high priced Puget Sound market and 3800 sq ft to a college town in Eastern WA with 2200 sq ft.
Property taxes dropped from $6800/yr to 2200. Insurance likewise took a drop since our new house market value is less than half of the house in Seattle. Size does matter! Lower utilities, insurance and up-keep all put $$ in the bank.
We walk to a lot of stuff on campus and a trip to town is 5 minutes for all we need. In and out of the bank in less than 10 minutes.
No anti-downsizer here--sorry!
nwsteve

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2008, 09:09 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
My house (paid for) is worth $70K on a warm day. When I move (at some point after the cat dies) I just might give it away to my neighbor as a tear down.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:34 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Downsizing when you retire is something new to me. We have what we want, where we want it.

Having lived in our house for thirty three years, I've seen a lot of people retire over the years and there is only one reason any of them ever leave, the squad comes and takes them.

I still have neighbors that remember my grandparents living in our house before 1975. One old guy across the street lived in his house for 69 years before they carried him away.

There is a couple down the street that want to move, but they have both been retired about 30 years and it's time to move to assisted living.

We're too attached to our house to want to move, it's been in my family for 78 years. DW says they will carry me off just like they did my granddad, on a gurney.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:57 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I suppose by the OP's definition I might be an anti-downsizer. I live in expensive SoCal, and for now I'm not planning to move when FIREd. Family, activities, weather are all reasons why I'm staying. So I'll just have to plan for a portfolio to cover the higher expenses. If the excrement really landed on the propeller blade, though, I'd consider moving to a lower cost area as an emergency Plan B.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:20 AM   #25

Us too, I guess. Our defintion of FI included being able to spend do what we want. DW likes our oversize house. We can afford it according to FireCalc. What's your point?
Old 05-02-2008, 05:08 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie411 View Post
To be clear: This is a case of financial planners telling me this is a phenomenon they see often, but not feeling comfortable providing me with contact info for their clients. I have to find those myself!
Hi Angie. Why don't you ask the planners you know to reach out themselves to clients that fit the bill? They can tell them about you and your story and ask them if they'd like to speak to you. If its as common as they are suggesting, you will find a lot of takers. As you know most people like talking about themselves.

On this site you may find something similar to what you're looking for, but mostly pre-retirement. A number of folks here have enough to retire if they were to move away from expensive locations but are putting in those few extra years to build the bigger nest egg so they don't have to.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:11 AM   #27

We upsized the house at RE, but the price was about the same as the smaller one in a more expensive area. We're not "married" to it and are open to a smaller home if we ever find one that we'd like, the finances work, and is within an hour's drive of family that DW is close to. Right now it's an easy 35 minute drive even at 5:00 PM on a Friday afternoon. For the moment we're happy with the one we have, even though we didn't anticipate natural gas going up 100% or more over a few years.

The sole reason for moving was so we didn't have to plan our daily lives around the insane traffic in the Washington, DC area.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:38 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - 21k fish camp in 1979. Katrina. 85k house on a hill in Missouri - roughly same sq ft. 1100-1345 vs 1100 sq ft.

upsize, downsize or a wash

heh heh heh - agile, mobile and hostile. Tornados/wind to the south last night. Always some entertainment. Greater Kansas City.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:40 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I think my ideal house would be a 800 square foot house with two small bedrooms, no formal dining room, two-car garage and a workshop. I'd have very thick walls with superinsulation, and could heat with a third of the amount of wood I currently use, and we'd spend half as much time cleaning. DW says I'd feel cramped, but I don't think so.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:49 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Our house is great, neighborhood is great, but the thing is much bigger and more expensive than we need. I think we can both be happy with something of medium size, like 2000 - 2200 SF, instead of our 3200 SF, much of which is only used when we entertain.

A big motivator is freeing up the cash spun off by a downsize. While not critical to the FIRE decision, it will raise our FIRE income enough to make a difference. But with both sets of kids/grandkids facing major career decisions in 2 or 3 years we figure we'll just hunker down for a while. Hopefully the market will have untwisted a bit by then.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:04 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Gonna be trying out about 120 sq. ft. this weekend with t wo small children and two 25# dogs. Now that's downsizing.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:13 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Gonna be trying out about 120 sq. ft. this weekend with two small children and two 25# dogs. Now that's downsizing.
That has gotta be the X 160 Fun Finder travel trailer. Where are you going?

I'm still trying to talk DW into the X 210. Sigh.

Financially it doesn't make a bit of sense but I want to do it anyway. Guess I better listen to her.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:50 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Yup, its the X160. We are going to a campground 45 min away to test it out (first trip). Want to make sure everything works before we go away for 4 days on Memorial day weekend. If there are any issues, the dealer is between the campground and the house, so we can drop it off on the way home.

Already got a bluegrass festival lined up for July. June is pretty packed with Birthdays and whatnot, but I think we may try the last weekend in June at a county park an hour away. There is a small facility with 18 rv sites in a 3000 acre park there, and it is the only state or county facility in NJ that I have yet found that allows dogs.

- Will Rogers
Old 05-02-2008, 10:49 AM   #34

having lived in the same house for 14 years, i'm not anti-downsize but am downsize-disabled. before portability of florida's save our homes (soh) value, downsizing by half in state would have tripled my taxes. now that we finally have portability of soh, we also have a bubble pop so i'm trapped again.

while i'm still young enough i really want to be a perpetual traveler. but should portability stand, downsizing might be an attractive side option. my current thinking is to just get something very cheap, like a $100k 2/1 apartment in an inexpensive area which would bring my property taxes to almost zero by utilizing my 14 years of built-up soh value. the soh homestead would then prevent property appraisals from rising any more than 3% per year.

at that, by the time i'm aged 75 (am 51 now) my apartment would be valued by the state at only $200k so my taxes might rise to all of $2,500. sweet.

i could then travel perpetually and still maintain homestead, because i'd have the required intention to live there in my future. also, if desired, i could rent the property in its entirety for 1 year at a time but not two years consecutively or i could just rent out a room and keep a room available for my use and still maintain my soh homesteaded status.

downsizing: how to have your cake and eat it too.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:51 AM   #35

Quote:
Already got a bluegrass festival lined up for July.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:56 AM   #36

Brewer, the bluegrass fest isn't Floydfest in July, by chance? We go there every year.

We're taking the old Airstream out to a local state park this weekend and doing a float trip down the Edisto River.

Have fun on the first voyage! Hope y'all have good weather!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:20 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Brewer, the bluegrass fest isn't Floydfest in July, by chance? We go there every year.
Nope, its Grey Fox in upstate NY.

- Will Rogers
Old 05-02-2008, 12:11 PM   #38

Nice lineup, Brewer! Too far for the old Argosy, but sounds like fun.
We're thinking of adding one called Riverhawk, held near Tampa in November (maybe Rich should check it out). Going to festivals is one of those things that make me wish we were already FIRED.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:14 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Nice lineup, Brewer! Too far for the old Argosy, but sounds like fun.
We're thinking of adding one called Riverhawk, held near Tampa in November (maybe Rich should check it out). Going to festivals is one of those things that make me wish we were already FIRED.
We have never been, but really looking forward to it. Seems like a good thing to do with the kids, too.

- Will Rogers
Old 05-02-2008, 03:01 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Nope, its Grey Fox in upstate NY.
For anyone that would like to get a taste of that Fest - there is a DVD documentary on it that was in my local library. Was very well done. Can't recall the title right now.

-ERD50