Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-13-2016, 04:37 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Don't think it really counts but we also have 4 yaks. We love using those on creeks and rivers.................

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2016, 04:50 AM   #22

No motors in our fleet: two kayaks, a Sunfish, and a SUP.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:18 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Check out trawlerforum.com. Lots of good information and a pretty friendly crowd. Just don't bring up the subject of anchors.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:20 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Ummm - YEAH!!

We've had quite a litany of boats over the years - too many for any sane person

We are currently 2.5 yrs away from RE and have had our "loop boat" for a year now. We are doing 1-2 long cruises a year as work allows and nearly every weekend aboard.

In the fall of 2018 we will sell everything and spend 1-2 years living aboard and cruising "The Great Loop". During the trip, we will be looking for cities/towns to move to (eventually).

Your Albin sounds like a great ICW traveler!
Old 07-13-2016, 07:41 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What would a lake house be without a boat? 20' Larsen bow rider with a 5.7 Merc. Goes pretty good-top speed is about 50 MPH.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:10 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

MasterCraft ProStar 197, 24' Harris Floteboat, 2 jetskis, 10' dingy, kayak, 2 standup paddle boards

Sent from my XT1575 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 07-13-2016, 12:37 PM   #27
Confused about dryer sheets

Going into retirement we shifted gears from hard core fishing boats...Bertrams, Albemarles, and Carolina Classics to a small project boat, a 1991 Carver.

After a 3 year hiatus under shrink wrap behind a marina building in upper state NY, we bought her on the cheap, shipped her to NC and got her up and running.

So far, DW likes cruising, has not gotten seasick, loves the AC, and sleeps soundly...3 continuous nights aboard to date...if things work out, we may opt for the full floating/cruising condo...definitely want to get down to FL and the Bahamas.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:33 PM   #28

Old Timer Memory

Somethin' nagging at me about power boats... then I remembered...

Circa 1960 we were living in Falmouth, Mass. Our next door neighbor was the captain of the Andrew Mellon's Yacht Cassiar, docked in the Wood's Hole Yacht Club, and we were invited aboard for a ride. (Mellon... owner of Gulf Oil). The boat was built in the 1940's and the story goes that Mellon was a confident to FDR. On our ride around Martha's Vineyard, we spent some of the time in a lower deck room, which was Mellon's study. On a small desk, was a red telephone (regular phone) which connected a radio phone that went to the White House. Fascinating to me at the time, as I had never been close to "big money". The "red phone" was one a number of similar phones, given to Mellon by Roosevelt, to connect him to power magnates, duriing WWII.
The Cassiar was a 64' mahogany sport fishing boat, kept immaculately clean and ready by a crew of 6. At dock, she shone like a jewel.

A few years later, maybe in the later '60's the Cassiar was replaced by another larger Yacht... originally named the Cassiar, but quickly renamed "The Queen of Diamonds". That was was a more modern steel yacht ... 134' in length.

Richark K Mellon had two replica's of the original Cassiar built in 1968.

All apropos of nothing except some fading memories.

Pics of the 1940 Cassiar here in Boating Magazine 1950... Towards the bottom of the web page.
The WoodenBoat Forum
Old 07-13-2016, 07:47 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

My fleet is a deck boat, kayak and paddle board. I've always dreamed of having a live aboard boat, sail or power. I'm afraid that would eliminate other options for me, but the dream remains.
I've never solo'd a sail boat before today. I'm in Playa del Carmen Mexico and after 1 lesson yesterday in 16 foot Hobie, I'm hooked.
Bluest water I've ever seen.
I'll be sailing part of every day until I go home.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-13-2016, 08:03 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

C-Dory Tomcat pilothouse. Trailer-able and best cruise speed is 20 knots. Headed for two weeks cruising on Mississippi in mid-September, than south Florida in February after knee replacement.

I agree that boats are a hole-in-the-water in which to throw money, but I'm finding in retirement that I over saved and it's time to start spending and enjoying as you can't take it with you
Old 07-13-2016, 08:10 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I have a simple rule, if it flys or floats don't buy it
I'd add a twist... unless you live right on the water (either on the boat or in a house that's seconds away from the dock)
Old 07-14-2016, 03:05 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been in/around and owned small boats up to 21' until the last few years. We're presently searching for a 40-45' boat to use as a getaway place and spend the summers cruising and the winters in south Florida.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:31 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Any boat owners?

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1468639653.202712.jpg

We did it! We are the new proud owners of 'Mary Jo'! She'll be transported from Texas to our dock in Virginia...looking forward to enjoying journey of being FIRE , taking it easy and enjoying the journey at 6 knots!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-16-2016, 05:13 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearkeley View Post
Attachment 24283

We did it! We are the new proud owners of 'Mary Jo'! She'll be transported from Texas to our dock in Virginia...looking forward to enjoying journey of being FIRE , taking it easy and enjoying the journey at 6 knots!

AWESOME!!!! Congratulations!
Hope to see you out and about someday!
Fair winds,
Ray
Old 07-16-2016, 08:13 AM   #35

We got our fill after sailing in the Caribbean for 2 season 6 months each time. Sold the Boat a 45ft Robinson Caine Cat in St Martin. In 2004 and have not had one since. Best boat is a Friends Boat. Fortunately I love to do maintenance and boat stuff, friends with boats love that.

Unfortunately the mods on this site complain when I put links to my website where all the photos are stored. For some reason they "Think" it is a blog, it is not, simply a place where we store photos and experiences we wish to publish. PM if you want a link.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:25 AM   #36
Confused about dryer sheets

We have a 1968 36' Columbia sloop we bought to give me a "retirement project"... She is for sale now. We had planned on refurbing her and living on her during our retirement. And then my DW realized she even got seasick while at the pier. So, plan B was to just have her sit at the pier so we had a place to stay when we went back to Hawaii to visit. I gutted the old girl, fixed bunch of fiberglass, stripped and restained the teak that was salvageable. Bought some new teak and made new handrails and some trim for down below. Removed some gauges no longer required and glassed the holes. Repainted the entire topside and completely replaced the foam cushions. Additionally, we made the new upholstery. I lost interest in completing the project so we now have a 95% completed refurb sitting at the pier on Oahu. Did I mention, she is for sale? I did learn a lot working on her so I see the money spent as a tuition. Plus it kept me busy for the better part of a year of my retirement. BTW, she is for sale.lol
Old 07-19-2016, 10:36 AM   #37
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearkeley View Post

Awesome - congrats on the new toy and the lifestyle change.

We have a restored Cape Dory 27 ft sailboat that has been a wonderful addition and the catalyst for good adventures and new friends.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:14 PM   #38

This thread needs more pics.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:17 PM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My best man has the same boat except his is an outboard rather than an I/O. Nice boat.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:31 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

We just recently re-entered the boating scene a few weeks ago. It has been at least 25 yrs since my last boat. I am a self-taught handyman and believe in LBYM so we bought an older speedboat that needed some luv'in. A 1989 Maxum 2000s/r w/5.0LX Mercruiser V-8 w/ Alpha drive. It had been out of the water for several years so needed some "work". We finally got her started (a feat not trivial). We had to unfreeze the alternator, adjust the gear-shift cables, replace the I/O bellows, horn, bilge pump, trailer tires, battery, repair the tach, and a bunch of other general clean-up items. It went surprisingly well, and after a couple of weeks work, we had the maiden voyage last Saturday evening and were out on Sunday for most of the day. IT still needs some work but is seaworthy as it sits. It is large enough to sit DW and myself, along with DS's family while still being easily towable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7664.jpg (115.6 KB, 6 views)