Join Early Retirement Today

Any boat owners?
Old 07-12-2016, 04:00 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Any boat owners?

After spending thousands of dollars repairing the out drive and a bunch of other things on our gorgeous 24 ft Albemarle inboard/outboard (I Owe), we've decided to sell him. Our plan was to take our time with shopping around for the ideal boat, and in the meantime, enjoy fishing on our little 1963 Boston Whaler that we revived 8 years ago and never had a problem with.

Now, a month later, we are in the process of buying a 1984 Albin Trawler (cruises at 6 knots) and ecperience the cruising lifestyle, first with exploring our neighboring waters, and maybe next year, the ICW. Because the Albin isn't a fishing boat, we have also picked out an old Robalo center console with a new engine.

Double the headaches? Nah...we're simply diversifying!

Seriously though, we are very excited about a cruising lifestyle and learning a lot from folks who have done this awhile. Curious to hear what boats you guys have and if there are cruisers out there, any insights you could share about the FIRE lifestyle on the water?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
bearkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2016, 04:05 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Unfortunately......yes, a hole in the water to pour money into!
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:08 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You'll be ready to take on the Great Loop around America. Most will start the loop at a big meeting in March at Joe Wheeler State Park in NW Alabama--before heading south through the Tennessee Tombigbee Waterway toward Mobile.

You've got the absolutely perfect boat for long distance cruising.

Our house is waterfront 15 miles west of Joe Wheeler State Park, and we often meet boaters running the 650 miles of navigable water of the Tennessee River.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:18 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I have a simple rule, if it flys or floats don't buy it
Old 07-12-2016, 04:23 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I started boating with a Zodiac inflatable that I car topped and a 7.5 HP Mercury outboard in the trunk.

Boat 2 was a 19 foot cabin boat so wifey would enjoy it. She didn't.

Boat 3 was smaller a 17 foot bow rider, it got stolen

Boat 4 was a 15 footer with a 70 HP evinrude, sold for non-use

Boat 5 is going to be a small Boston Whaler me thinks, I always liked them and they just work well in shallow (rivers) water like the CA Delta where it's going be parked in a slip. But not until I get the house done -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:30 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

We've had boats for all but 4 years since 1989, but ours has a big stick in the middle. We love being on the water, cruising, racing or just day sailing. But we haven't lived on our boats (yet), longest voyage was 10 days.

A good friend of mine took off singlehanded on his 30-foot sailboat in mid May from St Joseph MI on Lake Michigan and he's now in the St Lawrence Bay, not sure he knows where he's going, but I admire his adventurous spirit. We hear from him periodically via email and text.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:33 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

We have had boats for 30 plus years. Started small, got progressivly larger. Eventually spent 6 months living aboard going from Lake Huron to the Bahamas in a Sport Fisherman. Never a smart money move, but we have made plenty of adventurous memories.
Shanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:34 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

6 knots? Hope you won't be fighting the tide, seems so slow.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:40 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Inland boat only right now. 22' Star Craft deck boat with Mercruiser 5.0.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:46 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I'm on my 3rd pontoon boat during the past 32 years. This one is a 16 footer with a 9.9 hp motor. But I don't use it much anymore, so I'm going to sell it. I'll confine my boating to my kayak from now on.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:55 PM   #11

Inland pleasure boat, 20 ft. Sea Ray w/4.3 Mercruiser

A funny acronym comes to mind:

Break
Out
Another
Thousand
Old 07-12-2016, 04:56 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
You'll be ready to take on the Great Loop around America. Most will start the loop at a big meeting in March at Joe Wheeler State Park in NW Alabama--before heading south through the Tennessee Tombigbee Waterway toward Mobile.

You've got the absolutely perfect boat for long distance cruising.

Our house is waterfront 15 miles west of Joe Wheeler State Park, and we often meet boaters running the 650 miles of navigable water of the Tennessee River.
I hear it's beautiful where you are! I started reading up on th Loop, and got the Albin because of its fuel efficiency and size...perfect for the loop....about 1 - 2 knots slower than most of the cruisers, but we're in no hurry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post

Boat 5 is going to be a small Boston Whaler me thinks, I always liked them and they just work well in shallow (rivers) water like the CA Delta where it's going be parked in a slip. But not until I get the house done -
Whalers are awesome...and they don't sink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
We've had boats for all but 4 years since 1989, but ours has a big stick in the middle. We love being on the water, cruising, racing or just day sailing. But we haven't lived on our boats (yet), longest voyage was 10 days.

A good friend of mine took off singlehanded on his 30-foot sailboat in mid May and he's now in the St Lawrence Bay, not sure he knows where he's going, but I admire his adventurous spirit. We hear from him periodically via email and text.
Our plan was to sail, and hopefully we'll be able to do it. Took a 6 week course and crewed on Magic 25s when we were in Australia.....realized we need a lot more hands on practice before buying one....plan to practice on an old taser till then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky911 View Post
6 knots? Hope you won't be fighting the tide, seems so slow.
That was actually one of my biggest worries...until an experienced cruiser (retired) simply stated the obvious "just have another drink and wait until it goes the other way!"
bearkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:03 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Albin is a nice trawler! Good job!

We had a 1976 Marine Trader (36 ft) trawler for a while. Great boat, fun for entertaining and was enormous compared to the 28 ft sailboat we had before. The guy we bought it from had planned a great loop, but that sad old story: got sick and couldn't go.
We really enjoyed having it and doing short cruises and just hanging out at the dock with friends. We sold it when a friend's BIL asked to buy, right before we were heading off on an extended trip overseas. Settled the problem of looking after it during hurricane season, and put some travel money in our pockets.
Still miss the old girl every now and again, but not the working on her! That old Ford Lehman had a rebuild on her during our tenure!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:32 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Once had a 27' Jersey Skiff, wood, clinker planked. Then one day it flexed a bit too much in 4 foot waves.

Sold the the driveline, the rest heated the house pretty good for two winters.

Still have the solid brass rudder in the garage, about 3 square feet. Wonder what the scrap value is?

Seems the best boat is whatever your buddy has.

OTOH my 18 foot Kevlar Epic 18X kayak @ 42 lb is a pleasure to own and paddle. Alas my old hand built 18 foot wooden kayak is beyond fixing, yet a wonderful ceiling ornament at the mancave.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:10 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

On Lake Michigan, we keep a 39 Trojan cruiser. Get's two gallons per mile at 23 mph cruise speed, so it's really more of a condo. We might run two tanks of fuel through it per summer. Florida gulf coast boating calls for a 20 Hurricane Sundeck, although I'm getting tired of bouncing like a cork every time we pass another boat in the ICW going to a fishing spot or restaurant for lunch. Methinks something a bit longer and heavier to be a good idea. Maintenance, insurance, storage and operating costs are not for the faint of heart, but the boating lifestyle is pretty good.
bigcmagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:21 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a 14' "tinny" with 5 HP OB,
1989 Crestliner 19' with 4 year old Merc 115 4 stroke

2004 18' 4 Winns Horizon "booze 'n crooze"
2 Kayaks,
a 17' Hobie
and a 15' Adirondack guide boat.

A few years ago I saw a show about multi-million dollar yachts. They were interviewing a builder of such yachts. He said a good rule of thumb was that no matter how much a motorized vessel costs, you could figure about 10% of that cost for yearly maintenance. I did the math for my fleet.. He was pretty much right on the money.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:34 PM   #17
Gone but not forgotten

Boat owners?... Yes...
Over the years many, many boats, more than a few dozen.. too many to count.

Cruisers/cruising?... not so much but six runabouts or speedboats.

Growing up and living for more than 60 years in New England, mostly on or near the water... thousands of hours of cruising, racing and day tripping in every conceivable type of boat, and crewing in most major classes of sailboat.

Sailing team in college, in (MIT) Tech Dinghies.

In addition to that, weeks of canoeing in the Adirondaks, and the many rivers in Illinois and Wisconsin. Many days of haunting the Yacht Clubs on Cape Cod, and in Narragansett Bay... to spend time crewing in regattas. Favorite ports were in Newport and Barrington.

In the later years, in FL, my 20ft. StarCraft Runabout, outdrive destroyed by a gator, and am now relegated to my 1963 Sears sailing canoe, My 1964 Ted Williams fisherman and a 1960 aluminum paddle boat at my place in Woodhaven.

Cruising was always a dream... but working 60 hours and with four kids, not too practical.

Ah yes... but such wonderful memories... driving our 1972 Westphalia VW, with the canoe on top, and DW and my youngest, on our way to Raquette Lake for a few nights of camping and a river trip to Blue Mountain Lake.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:51 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, have had two boats for the last 12 years until 3 months ago. A 1983 Chris Craft Commander (sold) that we spent many weekends on and several weeks in the Bahamasover the years. Had a 21' Aquasport Cemter Comsole that we sold and bought a 25' Edgewater so we can run faster and more confidently to the Bahamas about 3 to 5 times a year.

Boats are never a cheap option but when you use them almost every week like we do, you get a lot of memories and enjoyment out of. One of my brothers died three years ago at 58, and although he loved boating and fishing, he never made the trip to the Bahamas.

We only live once, so splurge a little while saving for FIRE!
Rowej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:50 PM   #19

We own a 24' pontoon w/ 115 outboard.

It's great as we live on a large and very popular lake. The boat provides us with tons of entertainment for family and friends.
Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:46 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Current floatilla includes 20' Bennington pontoon with 40hp Honda 4-stroke, Honda jet ski, Trac 14 cat, Sunfish, and two kayaks. We have very few problems with them though I did have to replace the battery on the jet ski recently but it was 5 years old. All are currently in the water or within 20' of the water.

Sold the O'Day Daysailer that we had owned for 30 years last week.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote